• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Three Sows?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am currently debating whether to attempt to bond three sows - A single sow, and a pair!

However, the single sow is 'emotionally, physically, and psychologically sound'. . . On the other hand, the pair of sows have behavioural issues - One is quite aggressive/dominant, and the other is extremely nervous/timid. . .

Of course, I would hate for any harm to come to either the single sow, or the extremely nervous/timid sow. . . The aggressive/dominate sow can be quite challenging/temperamental!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Is it a rescue sow that you can date?

The single sow has lived next to the pair of sows for the last several months, since losing her companion - I have noticed that, in recent weeks, the aggressive/dominant sow has calmed down somewhat. . . Hence, the reason as to why I have decided to give serious consideration to bonding the three together. . . But I still have reservations. . .

I feel that the single sow, and the nervous/timid sow would make a great pair, and have considered separating the pair of sows. . . But I fear that the aggressive/dominant sow would not accept another sow (I have considered adopting a neutered boar, to bond with the aggressive/dominant sow, but I am not sure she would accept a boar either)!

As you have got all three girls, it is certainly worth to give it a try and see how they work out.

if you are thinking about pairing up your dominant girl with a neutered boar, I would strongly advise to date her at a rescue that has ideally more than one neutered boar in, so you can see whether you can find a match that way without ending up with a potential fail.

Regrettably, I feel that the aggressive/dominant sow is very much a solitary guinea pig - I feel that she will tolerant her companion, as her companion is very submissive. . .

I fear size could be an issue - The single sow is somewhat larger than the aggressive/dominant sow, who has a history of attempting to dominant larger sows?!

If you have got strong reservations and your current couple is working, why not setting abut finding your single sow a suitable new companion, either sow or neutered boar?

I have contacted a rescue about one of their sows. . . However, the rescue is currently undecided whether they will offer the sow for adoption, or keep her as a permanent resident. . .

If I were to opt for adopting another guinea pig, I would prefer to adopt a single older sow. For example, an ex-breeding/retired sow.

However, while I would like for each of my guinea pigs to have companionship, I would rather not increase my numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back