• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Time

Phoenix1998

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

We have had a long road getting to the bonding stage and I am very excited to finally attempt a bond. I have two happy big pigs (9-10 months old), two middle pigs (5 months~), and the two babies of one of the middle pigs (just over a week old). I am eager to bond them and move them in with the big pigs. I wonder when the babies will be ready to attempt a bond with the big girls. I assume that waiting for the babies to be weaned from mum is a good plan, even though she doesn't seem at all defensive. Is three to four weeks too young to bond? I will obviously double check the sexes of the babies before mixing, but they are still two little.

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

We have had a long road getting to the bonding stage and I am very excited to finally attempt a bond. I have two happy big pigs (9-10 months old), two middle pigs (5 months~), and the two babies of one of the middle pigs (just over a week old). I am eager to bond them and move them in with the big pigs. I wonder when the babies will be ready to attempt a bond with the big girls. I assume that waiting for the babies to be weaned from mum is a good plan, even though she doesn't seem at all defensive. Is three to four weeks too young to bond? I will obviously double check the sexes of the babies before mixing, but they are still two little.

Thank you!

Hi!

Is your mother separated, just with her companion and the babies and whether the other sows are bonded yet or not? Just to clarify, please.
Introduction advice will differ depending on whether the adult sows have already met or not.

I let my surprise baby Tegan grow up next to the group with interaction through the bars when she was born to one of two newly adopted (but not showing) sows that had not yet been introduced to the group.
The formal introduction happened once Tegan was weaned at 4 weeks of age. Tegan didn't have any issue but it took her mother several days to fit in, so I had to do the bonding for just as long as she could cope and then continue on the next day.

However, the intro would have been different and may have happened sooner had mother and auntie already been bonded with the full group. it also very much hinges on the group dynamics. Bonding mothers just after weaning is one of the most fraught sow bonding experiences because the end of weaning comes with status and hormone changes.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

No, neither of the adult pairs have met. Mummy pig is still with her companion and the babies as she wasn't defensive and Fluffy pig didn't seem to have a problem with them. It's maybe now getting to be a bit of a problem as all 4 of them are in the quaretine hotel 2x3.

No, neither of the adult pairs have met. Mummy pig is still with her companion and the babies as she wasn't defensive and Fluffy pig didn't seem to have a problem with them. It's maybe now getting to be a bit of a problem as all 4 of them are in the quarantine hotel 2x3.

In this case, I would wait until the babies are weaned and any boys separated. it may help if you could keep the cages next to each other so they can get to know each other through the grids. Please be aware that when merging pairs, it usually comes down to whether one of the lead sows is willing to step down/cannot challenge the other leader or whether there is no agreement.

Could you try to get hold of some spare grids to extend the nursery (they always come in handy)? Keep auntie and mum together as much as possible will make a big difference.

Back