• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding Two Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
at the moment, I have one Guinea pig after the other one had to be sent back to the shop, and very shortly I will be getting another Guinea pig so that mine will have a partner. To make sure I'm ready can u plz give me tips on things such as how often I should get them out in the neutral zone and how long for, how long until I should consider putting them in the same cage etc. P.s the one I currently have is a male and will be 2 in a couple of weeks and the one I will be getting is also male and is 3-4

at the moment, I have one Guinea pig after the other one had to be sent back to the shop, and very shortly I will be getting another Guinea pig so that mine will have a partner. To make sure I'm ready can you plz give me tips on things such as how often I should get them out in the neutral zone and how long for, how long until I should consider putting them in the same cage etc. P.s the one I currently have is a male and will be 2 in a couple of weeks and the one I will be getting is also male and is 3-4

Hi! You can have time through the bars in the run up, but once you commit to a boar introduction, you have to ride the tiger and see it through. There is not such a thing as gradual meetings or playtime together. As far as guinea pigs go, each time they meet is bonding time, and that includes working out whether they want to be part of the same group and where in the group they are ranked. Whenever you separate, it means that they have to start the process all over again.
Please make sure that you have got a plan B in case the two don't take to each other and will have to live as neighbours with interaction/stimulation through the bars, but each with their own territory. By far not all piggies will get on with each other, and no trick in the book can make them to.

Take the time to read through our extensive bonding advice:
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Hi! You can have time through the bars in the run up, but once you commit to a boar introduction, you have to ride the tiger and see it through. There is not such a thing as gradual meetings or playtime together. As far as guinea pigs go, each time they meet is bonding time, and that includes working out whether they want to be part of the same group and where in the group they are ranked. Whenever you separate, it means that they have to start the process all over again.
Please make sure that you have got a plan B in case the two don't take to each other and will have to live as neighbours with interaction/stimulation through the bars, but each with their own territory. By far not all piggies will get on with each other, and no trick in the book can make them to.

Take the time to read through our extensive bonding advice:
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Hi, thanks but when u say separate, the cage I'm getting is a c and c cage and they go on top of each other so would that be ok with one being on top and one one the bottom or do they have to be side by side

WOuld I also need to quarantine the new comer as he is coming from my friend not a shelter?

I would divide the c and c or place next to each other so they can see, hear and smell each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back