Boyfriend allergic to GPs (difficulty breathing)

yenivs13

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

The past few weeks my boyfriend has been suffering with wheezing/difficulty breathing whenever I clean out the guinea pigs. He found out a while ago that he’s allergic so he avoids handling them or being near them for too long, but only recently have these symptoms started. I haven’t changed the bedding or cleaning routine. It could however be the quality of the hay (Pets at Home mixed timothy/meadow hay).

I clean the cages with white vinegar. I vacuum/sweep up as much as I can. I also bought a mini air purifier (relatively cheap one from Argos), but not working as I’d hope. The guinea pigs are in their own room, door kept shut and window opened for ventilation.

Does anyone have any advice on what might be causing it and how to prevent it happening? Please help!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I wonder if it’s the hay. A few people on here have had allergies to certain hay types. I would get him to try antihistamines as well as go to the doctor.

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would look at the hay, I found pets at home hay to be very dusty and bad for my allergies, hay box although more on the pricey side is a lot better. We have an air purifier too but that seems to work really well for us. Does you hoover have a sealed hepa filter? As if not you could be hoovering up in the piggies room and then unknowingly emiting dust back into the rest of your house. (Watch hoover testing demos on YouTube to see what I mean... one of those rabbit holes)! :))

yenivs13

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I would look at the hay, I found pets at home hay to be very dusty and bad for my allergies, hay box although more on the pricey side is a lot better. We have an air purifier too but that seems to work really well for us. Does you hoover have a sealed hepa filter? As if not you could be hoovering up in the piggies room and then unknowingly emiting dust back into the rest of your house. (Watch hoover testing demos on YouTube to see what I mean... one of those rabbit holes)! :))
Thank you for the suggestions! I’ve heard Hay Box is good, I might try those out for a while see if it improves. May I ask what air purifier you have?

I have a feeling the culprit is the hoover as it doesn’t have a hepa filter. I may have to invest in another guinea pig only hepa filter vacuum!

Thanks very much 😊

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions! I’ve heard Hay Box is good, I might try those out for a while see if it improves. May I ask what air purifier you have?

I have a feeling the culprit is the hoover as it doesn’t have a hepa filter. I may have to invest in another guinea pig only hepa filter vacuum!

Thanks very much 😊
We just have this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RIGOGLIOSO...+purifier&qid=1602580228&sprefix=air+p&sr=8-8

Also another thing that’s has a hepa filter!
It’s important that the hoover is also sealed as that’s what stops it from throwing the particles back out the other end, we have a dyson which is obviously a big investment but is one of the best you can get.
I am suffering from a mystery allergy at the moment so I feel your boyfriends pain! I just hope it isn’t the Piggie

Free Ranger

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I used to ride as a little girl but we had to stop going as my mum got asthma in mid-life and found the stables environment triggered it. It turned out to be the hay and they told us in the stables it was quite common. I'm not sure if it's the 'quality' of the hay or if it's just hay... although hay dust is probably going to be an issue. I also developed mid-life asthma but luckily I'm OK with hay (so far!)

My nephew was allergic to his cat's fur so mum took her on - now if he goes round to visit it he has to have one of those one-a-day antihistamines (loratadine I think) or he's sneezing all over the place! They're pretty good.

Sparklepetal

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You mentioned your hay included timothy - for some people that's the specific trigger, so try buying meadow hay whichever brand you go for. Timothy is the only hay that sets off my allergies. Hope you find a solution!

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I am badly allergic to dogs so was quite worried about pigs when i got them but the pigs themselves are ok.... i get set off by the hay, i get hives if i don't wash my hands straight after handling it.... If i am not careful i get wheezy etc... I use Natures own hay ... i do take anti histamines every day though for other bits and bobs..

One pig can make me itch but not badly... I hope something works out for your b.friend!