• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Branch day by Ruby

Swissgreys

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In our home Sunday is 'Branch Day'.
This week it was mulberry, and I was very happy becasue I like mulberry leaves a lot and ate mine very quickly.
Harry is a bit silly becasue he likes to move his around the cage and not eat it all at once. He doesn't seem to understand you must eat everything as soon as it arrives.

But when she gave us our branches the big slave (who has a tendency to be very boring) said we should enjoy our branches now, becasue soon we won't have fresh branches anymore.
I was quite cross about this, but the big slave came up with a meaningless excuse called 'Autumn and Winter'.
Personally i think she is probably just too lazy to go outside and get us lovely fresh branches.
Next time she puts her hand in my cage I might give her a nip.
Got to keep those slaves in line.

Love Ruby xx

IMG_6137.jpeg

Oh Ruby it sounds like you’re having a hard time and I completely understand your frustration. May I suggest that although your slave is not meeting your demands it’s best not to nip her. After all you do get lots of other nice things to eat and as the Boomtown Rats song goes ‘ Never Bite the Hand That Feeds’ 😁

Keep meaning to ask @Swissgreys (after my chins who demolished a good few trees in their lifetime!) how do you put the branches in for the piglets? Other than Luigi that likes the odd chomp, no one else has been bothered so he has them at playtime but Aliona’s always interested if someone else is (more to pinch really knowing her I think the madam! :)))!
Was worried with my Jess to put them in cage with eyes and not moving as fast as she used to but as my silver hunk’s such a fan wondering if I should make use of the fresh apple ones outside atm! Thought about a cable tie to fix one in place but thought I’d query!? :D Cheers x

Keep meaning to ask @Swissgreys (after my chins who demolished a good few trees in their lifetime!) how do you put the branches in for the piglets? Other than Luigi that likes the odd chomp, no one else has been bothered so he has them at playtime but Aliona’s always interested if someone else is (more to pinch really knowing her I think the madam! :)))!
Was worried with my Jess to put them in cage with eyes and not moving as fast as she used to but as my silver hunk’s such a fan wondering if I should make use of the fresh apple ones outside atm! Thought about a cable tie to fix one in place but thought I’d query!? :D Cheers x
I did used to tie them to the C&C grids, but found they got ripped/chewed off pretty quickly, so these days I just drop a small twig with 2 - 3 leaves in the cage for each pig.
Ruby demolishes the whole lot pretty fast, but Harry prefers to delicately nibble his over a few days.
I do always make sue that the cut end is not sharp though. It probabably sounds silly, but I actually rub the cut end on the concrete pavers to make sure its soft and doesn't havean obvious point. It's probabably overkill but you know piggies and their eyes!

I have just discovered I have an apple tree in my garden. It has no apples on it. My MIL told me that it's an apple tree and that there were only ever a few small eating apples on it and they weren't very nice. I'm sure my piggies will enjoy the twigs and leaves though.

Christian loves apple branches!

Christian Apple Wood.JPG

In our home Sunday is 'Branch Day'.
This week it was mulberry, and I was very happy becasue I like mulberry leaves a lot and ate mine very quickly.
Harry is a bit silly becasue he likes to move his around the cage and not eat it all at once. He doesn't seem to understand you must eat everything as soon as it arrives.

But when she gave us our branches the big slave (who has a tendency to be very boring) said we should enjoy our branches now, becasue soon we won't have fresh branches anymore.
I was quite cross about this, but the big slave came up with a meaningless excuse called 'Autumn and Winter'.
Personally i think she is probably just too lazy to go outside and get us lovely fresh branches.
Next time she puts her hand in my cage I might give her a nip.
Got to keep those slaves in line.

Love Ruby xx

View attachment 153587

That face - looks like butter wouldn’t melt on her whiskers.... such a sweet and innocent face.

I did used to tie them to the C&C grids, but found they got ripped/chewed off pretty quickly, so these days I just drop a small twig with 2 - 3 leaves in the cage for each pig.
Ruby demolishes the whole lot pretty fast, but Harry prefers to delicately nibble his over a few days.
I do always make sue that the cut end is not sharp though. It probabably sounds silly, but I actually rub the cut end on the concrete pavers to make sure its soft and doesn't havean obvious point. It's probabably overkill but you know piggies and their eyes!
Thanks so much :D I shall get out chopping soon, sure Luigi will enjoy as always! I’ve always done the same with the chins branches, especially with their jumping around!
I’ve probably been far too paranoid with them in the cage but yep, most definitely had enough of eye troubles! :doh::))

That face - looks like butter wouldn’t melt on her whiskers.... such a sweet and innocent face.
Do not be fooled for a second.
Last time we were at the vet with her, my daughter was stroking Ruby, and Ruby was sprawled out on her fleece pad looking all sweet and chilled.
The vet came in and commented what a relaxed and laid back guinea pig she was, and just as she stretched her hand out to stroke Ruby I managed to shriek - don't touch her, she bites.
The vet clearly thought i was being ridiculous, and went to pick Ruby up to examine her and was rewarded with a fierce nip.
I looked smug and my daughter was horrified that the mean vet was traumatizing sweet Ruby.
The vet made a note on a certain brown guinea pig's file about handling her with care (and gloves).
So proud :coat:

Back