• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Brother And Sister And Risk Of Inbreeding.

Carta Elisa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am in a complicated situation...

I adopted two 1 month old guinea pigs having been told they were both male.... turns out after I checked they are brother and sister. The former owner is unreachable (not surprising) and I don't know what to do.
The two seem very bonded, and the separation from their mother happened just 2 days ago... I don't want to put them through more trauma. I feel so bad when I think about separating them, it breaks my heart. But I am also aware of the risks of inbreeding, and of an early pregnancy. I guess neutering is not an option since they are so young.

What would you do?

So sorry you're going through this, I would separate immediately! Unfortunately his mother is likely pregnant again too so it sounds like this has been a tough time for all of them.

There is a small chance that she may not be pregnant if she hasn't had her season yet so separation right now could make all the difference. If you separate them so they can still talk to each other it will minimise the stress even if they sound/look sad when they can't get to each other for a while.

But believe me it's far better than a pregnant baby girl! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Welcome, you've come to the right place.

Definitely separate immediately because the risk of pregnancy is greater than the short-term risks of unhappiness.

You might be able to keep them in neighbouring cages until the boy is old enough to neuter, or find them each a friend through a guinea pig rescue if there are any near you. There are options.

If you can separate them to where they can see each other through the bars it will be less traumatic. We just had a surprise litter and when I separated the boys they did great because they could still see and interact with their mom and sister through the bars. They did have each other though so if you can I would get a same sex friend for each.

You need to separate immediately. To be blunt, if you think you feel bad now what happens when something bad happens to your piggy or the babies! A high number of pregnancies caused death in the pregnant sow or result in stillbirths or pups that cannot survive. For the sake of your piggies you need to separate straight away. They can live side by side for now so they can communicate through bars and then at 6 months old you could have the male neutered so that they can live together 6 weeks later when he is fully safe. Fingers crossed she's not yet pregnant

I cannot agree more with the advice to separate. You absolutely have to do it, even if you think it will cause them stress. The longer you leave them together the greater the chance of turning a possibility of inbreeding into the certainty of it. Inbreeding results sadly in an increased chance of death or serious disability in the babies (neurological problems and serious dental issues are common).
As a foster carer who has fostered pregnant sows I can’t begin to tell you how distressing it is to have to deal with the aftermath of inbreeding. So please separate them immediately.

What a mess.
The advice given is excellent.
They are lucky piggies to have landed with someone who obviously really cares about doing right by them.
It would be lovely to see pictures

Thank you all fso much or the advice and info! I have been looking for a good family to rehome the lil boy.
He's going to live with two other male friends in a huge cage (I asked for pictures to be sure). I am still sad but also glad he's gonna have a good life.
Asap I will bring the female (called Trixie) to the vet to check if she might be pregnant and get some advice as to how to care for her if it is the case.
Later on we're going to find her a nice female friend.
Here is a picture of them.

cochon d'inde.png

They are so cute.
Glad you found a good home for the boy.
Hope everything else works out well.
Keep us posted

They are gorgeous! Well done rehoming the boy.

Hope you find Trixie a little friend soon, she's very cute.

Back