• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bumblefoot?

RJade

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i think one of my guinea pigs has the worst luck! Having a quick look at him today and I think he has what looks like might be the beginning of bumblefoot? Very small amounts of scabs on the bottom of his two front feet, one worse that the other.
He hasn't seemed unwell and literally just put him on the grass and he's popcorning all over the place.
He had dry bedding, getting a bigger hutch in four weeks and he's not fat!
Any tips?

Oh dear sorry. It does not look as bad as I was expecting but it could be the light in the photo. If you are worried you could get him a vet check to be sure but it does not look like Bumblefoot to me. I would expect it to look a lot redder.

That's what I thought. It's hard to keep him still for a photo! It seems to be quite a bit in the creases of his pads? But it must have only come around recently because I bathed him last week and he was fine!

A vet check wouldn't hurt just in case. Is good that he is popcorning though.

Dosnt look that bad to me, though it wouldn't do any harm let a vet take a look at it, l am asuming by the nails he is a relatively young pig ?

Dosnt look that bad to me, though it wouldn't do any harm let a vet take a look at it, l am asuming by the nails he is a relatively young pig ?

Yes, he turns one in a couple of weeks!

They do look like that too! Weird, I've had guinea pigs for years and I've never seen spurs before! I'd be more relieved if it was spurs, honestly love this dude too much for it to be anything too bad.

I've had a few develop them and they usually crop up in that crease. Only one of them has had them to the extent that I've needed to trim them as it only becomes a problem if it sticks out enough to get caught

I've had a few develop them and they usually crop up in that crease. Only one of them has had them to the extent that I've needed to trim them as it only becomes a problem if it sticks out enough to get caught

Do you find that they just occur naturally or should I be using a different bedding or something like that? They spend quite a bit of time on my patio floor when the grass is a bit too wet, would hard flooring to it to?

Do you find that they just occur naturally or should I be using a different bedding or something like that? They spend quite a bit of time on my patio floor when the grass is a bit too wet, would hard flooring to it to?

I've not found bedding to cause it as some of mine have had them and others haven't but all kept on the same bedding

Back