• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

OrangeGuinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
🐹 I was washing out my guinea pigs cage outside. I had the top of my guinea pigs cage covering her and she’s never opened the cage herself before today. I went inside and came back in a few minutes later to see that her cage was open and she was gone. The first thing I thought was that she went inside a bush so I looked at the nearest bush and lo and behold there she was. She was running around a tree because I think she’s kind of afraid of me. I eventually got her out of the bush and set her down in her cage again so I could finish my job this time was something blocking the door so she couldn’t push it open. I come back and I noticed there’s this one little tiny end. I don’t think much of it so I go back to cleaning her cage I go back to look at her and noticed the ants gone but she seems to be crying no noise right thing just her eyes are really watery and goopy. I’m not sure if her eye got got irritated while she was in the bush by a leaf or dirt or something but I thought she might be in pain . I move her cage and then see an aunt or run out from under her. I start to worry that she might have been bitten by the ant so I gently lift her up and flip her over and her feet look more red than ever before. I’m worried for her health can someone please tell me why her feet are so red and what happened to her:ple:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
🐹 I was washing out my guinea pigs cage outside. I had the top of my guinea pigs cage covering her and she’s never opened the cage herself before today. I went inside and came back in a few minutes later to see that her cage was open and she was gone. The first thing I thought was that she went inside a bush so I looked at the nearest bush and lo and behold there she was. She was running around a tree because I think she’s kind of afraid of me. I eventually got her out of the bush and set her down in her cage again so I could finish my job this time was something blocking the door so she couldn’t push it open. I come back and I noticed there’s this one little tiny end. I don’t think much of it so I go back to cleaning her cage I go back to look at her and noticed the ants gone but she seems to be crying no noise right thing just her eyes are really watery and goopy. I’m not sure if her eye got got irritated while she was in the bush by a leaf or dirt or something but I thought she might be in pain . I move her cage and then see an aunt or run out from under her. I start to worry that she might have been bitten by the ant so I gently lift her up and flip her over and her feet look more red than ever before. I’m worried for her health can someone please tell me why her feet are so red and what happened to her:ple:

Hi!

Weeping eyes are a sign of an irritation, so something is going on as that is not normal. Please have her vet checked if in any doubt.

Also please make sure that you put her cage top well away from any ants if possible and that you secure it, so she cannot escape. Not every adventure has a happy ending!

OrangeGuinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Ok thank you so much! She seems to be doing better now and her feet aren’t as red. I guess that’s my fault for underestimating her.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thank you so much! She seems to be doing better now and her feet aren’t as red. I guess that’s my fault for underestimating her.

Red feet are usually a sign that your piggy is feeling hot. I was more worried about the eyes.