• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

cage liner vs fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.

car

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi i am using fleece but find i need to change top layer everyday i have heard cage liners can last a week just wondering what you opinion on this is

I use fleece, with towels underneath it lasts, 3-5 days, or with a mattress protecter under the fleece it lasts 5/6 days . Make sure your fleece has been washed 3 times or more before using, my fleece always stays dry it just soaks down if they do wee on it.

I made my own cage liners, and i cantttt stop singing there praises! They have fleece, then matress topper. Mine lasts 5 days but only because it has disposable baby changing mats below that. I do however have to shake it out every day because the hay gets everywhere. I guess it depends why you need to change it every day?

Hi i also use 2 towels underneath the fleece it has been washed more than 5 times but if i leave for more than 1 day the cage starts to smell

I used towels, and i found it just wasnt good enough. Matress protector is far better in my opinion.

I used towels, and i found it just wasnt good enough. Matress protector is far better in my opinion.

I have to agree, I can't afford to buy cage liners at the mo sadly. But have improvised and bought a waterproof matress protector and fleece from Dunelm Mill, and it works so much better and longer than towels.

If you cannot afford to buy them (as i couldnt) Would you not consider making them? (as you already have the fleece and matress protector, it would surely be a case of measure cut and sew?) :)

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Sometimes fleece dont work well if it's not good quality ie cheap blankets tho dunelm ones have been pretty good, some fleece also work better the more you use it, i have one i made a year ago and its still my fave (made with dunelm pet fleece) you also have to get the right mattress topper some wont allow the urine through the top layer so they wont work, i make and sell liners (www.guineapigcomforts.weebly.com) in my cage they last a week but obviously it depends how many piggies and how big the cage, i have a 2 level 2x4 c&c with a 2x1 kitchen extension for 8 sows and i poover every day.

If you cannot afford to buy them (as i couldnt) Would you not consider making them? (as you already have the fleece and matress protector, it would surely be a case of measure cut and sew?) :)

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Hi connie

I've just inherited my mums old sewing machine and fancy knocking something up for my pigs (I am sure I will be hopeless!). The mattress protectors that you use are they the quilted waterproof type? There are so many different types I didn't want to use one and then discover it was the wrong thing :{

I have an old hollowfibre quilted mattress protector but I'm not sure its waterproof its similiar to this http://www.marksandspencer.com/Mark...Protector/dp/B0047FE09Q?extid=TP_2_FRO_T_MSF_

Thanks

Claire

Honestly, I bought mine from primark. Its not waterproof, hence the pampers pads beneith. :) However it was a king sized on and only £8, also i find the pampers pads cut down on the smell as they are designed that way. If you would like to make ones more like 4piggies (that dont need anything underneither- i assume if they are waterproof this is the case) Then I'm sure if you ask her she will tell you what you want to know. :D

A 2x4 liner is £30 via my shop, and if you was looking to pay that for a topper then your fleece it wouldnt be much cheaper to do it yourself,

the toppers i use have a top layer 100% cotton then a wadding layer and then a waterproof polypropelene backing (same as correx is made from) like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1274574/Trail/searchtext>TOPPER.htm and i have a tutorial on here how to make them but i cant find it as forum is slow

A 2x4 liner is £30 via my shop, and if you was looking to pay that for a topper then your fleece it wouldnt be much cheaper to do it yourself,

the toppers i use have a top layer 100% cotton then a wadding layer and then a waterproof polypropelene backing (same as correx is made from) like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1274574/Trail/searchtext>TOPPER.htm and i have a tutorial on here how to make them but i cant find it as forum is slow

does it have to 100% cotton for the mattress topper or would a Poly cotton cover 100% polyester filling work i have one of these but dont want to cut it to shape if it wont do

This is something that I've been wondering about. I recently changed over to fleece and use a double layer of newspaper, double towel layer and then fleece on top. I'm cleaning out every other day as I find the newspaper underneath gets quite wet. The fleece isn't wet but I just worry if the underneath layers get wet it will stop absorbing and the fleece will get wet. I only have 2 sows in the hutch, but as it's a 2 tier one it's not a massive top tier so guess they get it messy quite quickly. I had been wondering if I wasn't putting enough on the underneath layers and if I used more towels and newspaper I wouldn't need to clean out quite so much!

I found towels simply wernt absorbent enough, and when theyre soggy they get smelly faster than a matress topper. However, although I'm sure 4piggies methods work better, i know my cageliner does work fine, and isnt 100% cotton OR waterproof, if theres a layer underneath, then its ALOT better than towels! :) (sorry, i sound like I'm plugging it, I'm not, i dont sell them. :)) )

So yeah, it can work without, but just not as effectivly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back