• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cage sizes

Karlz79

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, Which cage is bigger and better pls, Ferplast 140 Rabbit or Ferplast plaza 160? Thankyou so much

The ferplast 160 is bigger. It’s 160cm x 60cm.
The ferplast 140 is 140cm x 60cm.
Other than than that they are the same

What sex piggies do you have?
If you have boars then you will need the 160 (boars need more room).
If they are sows, then the 140 is fine but the 160 is better as it is bigger.

It's not I'm afraid. The minimum for boars is 150x60 but we recommend 180x60cm.

They’re not so territorial and at the moment seem to be fine in the 120x60cm cage they’re in. There 3.5 months old and will upgrade when older. If i can give them 3hrs a day of floor time is this ok? I want to give them the best life but seem happy already!

You would be much better off expanding their space now, even if they seem fine at the moment. They're going to hit their teens in a short time and if you decide to change their housing then, that could spell trouble for their bond. That period of their life can already be fraught without adding environmental changes to the mix. They need their minimum all the time because they're closed into that area. 3 hours isn't really enough and won't help if they can't get away from each other.

I’m at home all the time now as it’s the holidays so can give them playtime pretty much all day. However, I’m out from 7:45am-4:15pm in usual times and can give them 3hrs when I’m home

As I've said, it won't be enough. Boars are more territorial and need that space from the beginning. They need to be able to get away from each other. And to be frank, 120x60 isn't enough by the time you put in two hides and hay area etc. I know because I've been there. My boys actually started off in something smaller than that but were very soon upgraded because it just wasn't enough.

They need their minimal space because that's where they will be 'closed in' most of the time. Are you able to set up a permanent play pen that they can live in?

You would be much better off expanding their space now, even if they seem fine at the moment. They're going to hit their teens in a short time and if you decide to change their housing then, that could spell trouble for their bond. That period of their life can already be fraught without adding environmental changes to the mix. They need their minimum all the time because they're closed into that area. 3 hours isn't really enough and won't help if they can't get away from each other.
[/QUOTE

i feel so bad! My parents won’t let me upgrade at the moment as we currently don’t have enough space. They said it’s possible in a couple of months though. What could i do to already expand the store bought cage? It would need to be cat proof!

Floor time helps, but for times when they are in the cage, it’s not really big enough for two boars. Lack of space can and does cause problems for teen boars. Mine originally had 150x60, teens hit with the vengeance and they needed an upgrade immediately. As siikibam has said, upgrading in itself can cause problems so you have to be so careful. The choice is yours but 120x60 for a teen boar pair is risky

The ferplast as above would be better, but if you can go for a 180x60cm then even better for them. There's a cage that you can buy extensions for but I'm not sure if it's one of those mentioned above. If you can't give them the space then have a backup plan (plan B) in case they fall out due to lack of space. That would require even more space because a single piggy needs to live in a 120x60cm cage.

As I've said, it won't be enough. Boars are more territorial and need that space from the beginning. They need to be able to get away from each other. And to be frank, 120x60 isn't enough by the time you put in two hides and hay area etc. I know because I've been there. My boys actually started off in something smaller than that but were very soon upgraded because it just wasn't enough.

They need their minimal space because that's where they will be 'closed in' most of the time. Are you able to set up a permanent play pen that they can live in?
Unfortunately not. Would a ramp to one be ok?

I don't know that it would work because of your cat. You're better off with something with a lid, unless you can stop your cat going in the same room. But I assume you can't.

Floor time helps, but for times when they are in the cage, it’s not really big enough for two boars. Lack of space can and does cause problems for teen boars. Mine originally had 150x60, teens hit with the vengeance and they needed an upgrade immediately. As siikibam has said, upgrading in itself can cause problems so you have to be so careful. The choice is yours but 120x60 for a teen boar pair is risky
At what age are they teens?

I don't know that it would work because of your cat. You're better off with something with a lid, unless you can stop your cat going in the same room. But I assume you can't.
I don’t have a car but the person who looks after them when I’m holiday does... my parents also want a roof

You could order online. Either a c&c - 9 hole grids in a 2x5 configuration - or the one mentioned above that 160x60cm.

Their main housing needs to meet their minimum space needs - 150x60cm or, even better, 180x60cm.

Back