• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Can I use Dawn dish soap to clean bowls/bottles?

squeaksandcarrots

Junior Guinea Pig
My vet said I can put ceramic bowls in the dishwasher so I assumed I could just hand wash the bowls/bottles with Dawn dish soap. I should've posted, though, before washing them. Is it okay to wash bowls, bottles, and hay racks with Dawn dish soap? If not, what can I use to wash them?

squeakypigs01

Junior Guinea Pig
My vet said I can put ceramic bowls in the dishwasher so I assumed I could just hand wash the bowls/bottles with Dawn dish soap. I should've posted, though, before washing them. Is it okay to wash bowls, bottles, and hay racks with Dawn dish soap? If not, what can I use to wash them?
Another way to clean plastic bottles is to put some rice and warm water in them. Shake the bottle with the rice and warm water and it cleans it perfectly.

Piggies&buns

Teenage Guinea Pig
Another way to clean plastic bottles is to put some rice and warm water in them. Shake the bottle with the rice and warm water and it cleans it perfectly.
This is a fab tip! I have just cleaned my bottles using this method, it works brilliantly! No more messing about with an unco-operative bottle brush!