Cardboard boxes unsanitary

Ritika

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just wondering watching an Amazon cardboard box..... Is it even safe to give piggies as hideys? I mean these boxes have through so many places and Even dirty places and now piggy chewing these boxes I am sceptical any ideas?

Ritika

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know what you mean but I give my piggies cardboard boxes and they love them. I wouldn't give them anything that looks dirty, I know you can't see germs but these piggies eat grass in/from the garden and each other's poo!
Mine too love them I give them a new cardboard box every month which comes with their hay I was just thinking deep thoughts lol

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My piggies get plenty of Amazon boxes to play in, and I think they are more unsanitary when the piggies have finished with them!
You could say the same for hay or newspaper or recycled paper bedding, its all stuff that's not sterile.
Very few human pathogens affect piggies and if the cardboard is dry it shouldnt be a problem if it looks clean :)

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies get plenty of Amazon boxes to play in, and I think they are more unsanitary when the piggies have finished with them!
You could say the same for hay or newspaper or recycled paper bedding, its all stuff that's not sterile.
Very few human pathogens affect piggies and if the cardboard is dry it shouldnt be a problem if it looks clean :)
I agree, it is right to wonder where they have been, but where does the worry stop? Give them boxes, aslong is they Havnt had chemical inside or look like they have trsils of rat urine over them 👍

Ritika

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree, it is right to wonder where they have been, but where does the worry stop? Give them boxes, aslong is they Havnt had chemical inside or look like they have trsils of rat urine over them 👍
Oh no how will I distinguish normal water stain to rat pee on the box?

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Oh no how will I distinguish normal water stain to rat pee on the box?
Just look at the colour of the cardboard, if it’s not looking nice or stained etc then don’t use it! I ask at my co-op down the road for boxes (sorry @Ritika, it’s a grocery shop here in uk) and get a few for them, I’ll put fleece at the bottom then lots of hay so they don’t wreck it in a day with all their pee!

Ritika

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What will happen if they eat a cardboard piece with rodent pee on it?

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Cardboard boxes are the greatest free gift we can give our piggies.
I have loads of them and my girls love um.
I find Aldi good supply.
I make a house shape one complete with doors and Windows. . . Course the Windows make a great doors once piggies done the inspection.
Great fun

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
What will happen if they eat a cardboard piece with rodent pee on it?
If the pee is dry and the rat isnt still in the box there's practically no health risk :) piggies have much better noses than us and would probably avoid a box that smelled of rats anyway!

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree that cardboard boxes are the best hideys. Especially with the addition of hay or treats. Pigs vary in their desire to destruct their lovely houses! With some pigs they remain habitable for months. Others, due to architectural 'improvements ' such as widening doors... or peeing on them, need more regular replacement :nod: