• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cardboard boxes unsanitary

Ritika

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just wondering watching an Amazon cardboard box..... Is it even safe to give piggies as hideys? I mean these boxes have through so many places and Even dirty places and now piggy chewing these boxes I am sceptical any ideas?

I know what you mean but I give my piggies cardboard boxes and they love them. I wouldn't give them anything that looks dirty, I know you can't see germs but these piggies eat grass in/from the garden and each other's poo!

I know what you mean but I give my piggies cardboard boxes and they love them. I wouldn't give them anything that looks dirty, I know you can't see germs but these piggies eat grass in/from the garden and each other's poo!
Mine too love them I give them a new cardboard box every month which comes with their hay I was just thinking deep thoughts lol

My piggies get plenty of Amazon boxes to play in, and I think they are more unsanitary when the piggies have finished with them!
You could say the same for hay or newspaper or recycled paper bedding, its all stuff that's not sterile.
Very few human pathogens affect piggies and if the cardboard is dry it shouldnt be a problem if it looks clean :)

My piggies get plenty of Amazon boxes to play in, and I think they are more unsanitary when the piggies have finished with them!
You could say the same for hay or newspaper or recycled paper bedding, its all stuff that's not sterile.
Very few human pathogens affect piggies and if the cardboard is dry it shouldnt be a problem if it looks clean :)
I agree, it is right to wonder where they have been, but where does the worry stop? Give them boxes, aslong is they Havnt had chemical inside or look like they have trsils of rat urine over them 👍

I agree, it is right to wonder where they have been, but where does the worry stop? Give them boxes, aslong is they Havnt had chemical inside or look like they have trsils of rat urine over them 👍
Oh no how will I distinguish normal water stain to rat pee on the box?

Oh no how will I distinguish normal water stain to rat pee on the box?
Just look at the colour of the cardboard, if it’s not looking nice or stained etc then don’t use it! I ask at my co-op down the road for boxes (sorry @Ritika, it’s a grocery shop here in uk) and get a few for them, I’ll put fleece at the bottom then lots of hay so they don’t wreck it in a day with all their pee!

What will happen if they eat a cardboard piece with rodent pee on it?

I agree that cardboard boxes are the best hideys. Especially with the addition of hay or treats. Pigs vary in their desire to destruct their lovely houses! With some pigs they remain habitable for months. Others, due to architectural 'improvements ' such as widening doors... or peeing on them, need more regular replacement :nod:

Back