• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Caring for open tumour - advice!

Pebbles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all. I have an elderly piggie (just gone 7) who has been diagnosed with a mammary tumour, which opened up about a month ago. I know this will ultimately finish her off, however at the moment she's doing really well, and this doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. She is on daily metacam and baytril now since the tumour burst/opened up, and I think the vet thought it would be a week or so, but 2 months on she's still running around, first to the food bowl, and and looking happy. My running battle is keeping the wound as clean as possible - given the location (between the nipple and rear leg) it is constantly weeping and picking up muck. I bathe the area every few days, and try to wipe it daily with antiseptic, picking out the hay etc. I have tried having them on towels/fleece rather than sawdust, but even then, she manages to pull hay down and get mucky, so I've reverted to wood shavings which keeps them a bit drier. I would love to be able to cover the wound, but this seems totally impractical - does anyone have any advice about what else I might try?
Ultimately this tumour is not going to heal, but it's about keeping it infection free and her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry about the situation. It looks like you are doing your best! Daily disinfection, keeping the wound and the cage as clean as possible (especially the toiletting and sleeping areas) are the things I would have recommended, too.
If you use fabric bedding like vetbed, you will have to change daily.

Older piggies can have such a will to live...

@Abi_nurse @furryfriends (TEAS)

It might be an idea to ask your vet about using a barrier cream, I currently use a veterinary grade one from F10 which can be used on open wounds but definitely check with your vet prior to use just to make sure it's appropriate to use in your situation.

Thank you for your replies - I will have another word with the vet about a barrier cream, that might help!

Just popping in on a lunch break so can’t give you a full comprehensive reply sorry (but can later). As the wound is not healing I would be very cautious about it being a multi resistant infection. (Eg. Bugs like MRSA.) ensure that you are being very strict with your own hand hygiene and washing bedding on a high temperature. Sorry you are going through this. Will reply more later.

X

Thank you all. I took her back to the vet just to check if there is anything else I could be doing. She felt that the tumour/wound was looking as 'good' as it could be expected. As she pointed out, any barrier cream would only serve to pick up more stuff from the cage. All she could propose was aloe vera gel. Remarkably little Bella is still going strong and happy, so I'm just carrying on, cleaning her daily and enjoying her whilst I can!
Thank you all for your comments

You are doing a good job enjoy your piggy while you can and don't forget she doesn't know she's ill. She feels good and is still having happy todays and that's all a piggy can ask for.

Back