• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cavy Cuisine - Members Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Oxbow Bunny Basics (will switch the guinea-pigs to Cavy Cuisine when they've got down their bag of Burgess Excel), and it was about 13 pounds. If anybody is thinking of buying it for their guinea-pig - you may be able to get it cheaper from them. Also, I think this website is much cheaper than the above websites: http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/

I tried to edit this but it wouldn't let me. What I had meant to say is: I got Oxbow Bunny Basics T from my local vet, with free, next-day delivery. It worked out the same price as what SPH charges, but without the delivery costs. Unfortunately, they don't seem to sell the bulk bags at my vets, so will probably have to buy from SPH now.

The rescue I got my pigs from said I didn't need to feed them pellets, that 80% hay and 20% veggies would cover their needs. But she added that if I wanted to give them pellets CC was the only acceptable alternative available in Sweden. I got a bag and I plan to feed them a tablespoon or so a day to share between the three of them just to add to their nutrition. None of my pigs seem to have a weight problem in which case I would reconsider. Oh, and they practically lick the bowl...

I switched my 7 over to this about a month ago; they were originally on the Burgess. Since switching they've all been putting on weight well (which they needed to do), whereas before they weren't. Even my weenie girl has rapidly started growing since being on the Oxbow and has nearly caught her sister up. We 'rescued' a skinny boy from a pet shop and he's really come on since being on this food. I wouldn't want to switch back to the Burgess. It's more expensive than the Burgess, but you can buy it in 22KG bags and as the Vitamin C content is stable for 12-months, it does store well.

I would give it *****

I love this food and recommend it to everyone lol. I love it because it is Timothy Hay based and I find that very reassuring as I don't feed alfalfa at all because of it's very high calcium content. I use the Bunny Basics T for my rabbits for the same reasons.

The piggies love it and look very healthy on it.

I give it 5 *****

This food tops the list for us, my 21 boars are on it and i have found when sick they seem to hold condition better on this food, they maintain stable weights, are extremely shiny and have great energy levels, they also love the taste.
i give it *****

I'm very excited. A lovely little pet store sells it locally. I like this store, because they push animal adoption and do not sell any animals.

My guys love this food. I got it for them online. They didn't show much interest in their old food, but they chow down on this one. I'm so happy that I can get it locally next time.

I've gone right off Cavy Cuisine food, after a long time of using it. My piggies had bladder issues that pre-dated me starting Cavy Cuisine. I am now only down to one piggy, who has real issues that have never been resolved.

I recently heard that Cavy Cuisine can cause bladder issues, due to the limestone content. I have taken Cassie off it, and in only a few days her bladder health has noticeably improved - I can see no nasty sludge, and she isn't squeaking when peeing.

I wish I hadn't fallen for the hype on CC, to be honest. I don't understand why they make a low calcium food with timothy hay, then add calcium carbonate, which most bladder stones are supposedly composed of! :{

Can't edit my post! I just wanted to list the ingredients from the Oxbow website, which I meant to put on my original message:

Ingredients

Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Sodium Bentonite, Soybean Oil, Salt, Lignin Sulfonate, Limestone, Yeast Culture (dehydrated), L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate

My workloads = Can only be feeding the pigs freshes at night, so I have to have Pellets available during the whole day I am out.

Cavy Cuisine is definitely a hit for my Cavies as well, I add in some Organic ones once in a while as well.

**** 4 stars/5 for me as my pigs don't enjoy it as much as they do for Supa Excel's.

My workloads = Can only be feeding the pigs freshes at night, so I have to have Pellets available during the whole day I am out.

Cavy Cuisine is definitely a hit for my Cavies as well, I add in some Organic ones once in a while as well.

**** 4 stars/5 for me as my pigs don't enjoy it as much as they do for Supa Excel's.
Rilenceny, do your piggies have good-quality hay available at all times? :rose

My little girl Maisie has recently suffered from gut problems and has had part of her caecum removed, she has now fully recovered from her op and her weight remains stable, she lost in total about 100g and I have been trying her on all the high calorie food to build her back up. I think the removal of part of her tubes has resulted in something similar to a stomach reduction operation (human) and that is why the weight wont go on. I've been looking at the manufacturers website for this food and it sounds pretty good for Maisie's condition. Any thoughts ? She is currently on gertie and excell aswell as unlimited hay, timothy and various forages (excell)to give her the extra fibre and bulk she needs. I have tried porridge to build her up, she wont eat it.

My little girl Maisie has recently suffered from gut problems and has had part of her caecum removed, she has now fully recovered from her op and her weight remains stable, she lost in total about 100g and I have been trying her on all the high calorie food to build her back up. I think the removal of part of her tubes has resulted in something similar to a stomach reduction operation (human) and that is why the weight wont go on. I've been looking at the manufacturers website for this food and it sounds pretty good for Maisie's condition. Any thoughts ? She is currently on gertie and excell aswell as unlimited hay, timothy and various forages (excell)to give her the extra fibre and bulk she needs. I have tried porridge to build her up, she wont eat it.

I would imagine it would be quite good for Maisie as with my boys it seems to be more filling. Also, you could try Weetabix, I've been giving my Nibbler one every now and then to help with bulking him up after his bladder stone.

No More Pain

I recently switched to Cavy Cuisine after reading an article about how the majority of pig pellets out there contain excessively high levels of calcium for adult pigs and that this can cause urinary problems - including pain upon urination. One of my pigs had been in pain every time he 'went' for the past several months and despite three different vets looking at him, no cause was identified. It was suggested in the article that C.C is one of only two products which are ideally suited for pigs over 12 months of age and so I gave it a try. Within three days of switching over to the new food my pig's pain had stopped completely, and a month later there has been no recurrence of the problem. So, thanks to the vets for charging me over £200 for scans, x-rays, etc., (but not including a simple urine test which I later found out off a friend's vet would have probably identified the problem and cost only £5 - better to charge me a fortune for the pointless alternatives and line your pockets in the process); however, many heartfelt thanks to Oxbow for their excellent Cavy Cuisine product which has finally ended my pig's months of urinary torment. It may be more pricey than the regular feeds, but it's worth every penny!

I recently switched to Cavy Cuisine after reading an article about how the majority of pig pellets out there contain excessively high levels of calcium for adult pigs and that this can cause urinary problems - including pain upon urination. One of my pigs had been in pain every time he 'went' for the past several months and despite three different vets looking at him, no cause was identified. It was suggested in the article that C.C is one of only two products which are ideally suited for pigs over 12 months of age and so I gave it a try. Within three days of switching over to the new food my pig's pain had stopped completely, and a month later there has been no recurrence of the problem. So, thanks to the vets for charging me over £200 for scans, x-rays, etc., (but not including a simple urine test which I later found out off a friend's vet would have probably identified the problem and cost only £5 - better to charge me a fortune for the pointless alternatives and line your pockets in the process); however, many heartfelt thanks to Oxbow for their excellent Cavy Cuisine product which has finally ended my pig's months of urinary torment. It may be more pricey than the regular feeds, but it's worth every penny!

Cavy Cuisine isn't actually recommended for stone piggies because of the amount of calcium they add. Kleenmama pellets are supposed to be better.

I understand that the lowest calcium food in the UK is Wagg Guinea Pig Crunch.

Cavy Cuisine isn't actually recommended for stone piggies because of the amount of calcium they add. Kleenmama pellets are supposed to be better.

I understand that the lowest calcium food in the UK is Wagg Guinea Pig Crunch.

That's interesting, although I think we can't get Kleenmama in the UK? The CCT recommended Wagg Guinea Crunch to me & although it is derided by lots of people as "cheap" piggy food & "wasteful" mine love it over the Cavy Cuisine which I mix in sparingly with it. My thoughts are I wouldn't want to eat beans on toast every day so why should my piggies have the same every day? If I do throw any away that they don't eat it is a very tiny amount & from what it costs it hardly matters really rolleyes

Amazing! His coat is silkier, his eyes are brighter, and he LOVES to eat it! My pig was the runt at a petstore with a bunch of older pigs, and all the other pigs wouldn't leave hay for him. When I found him it was almost closing time and he was sitting under the hayrack. He was skinny and a shy one. I brought him home and feed him this and hay and he loved these pellets so much, he let me pet him while he was eating it. Sorry if I changed the subject a bit, but he is the picture of guinea pig health.8:) I give this 5 stars *****

Tried CC on our girl Poppy,she totally ignored CC and ate all the pets at home pellets instead.Had to throw most of it away.Shame since it is really good quality food,but can't have her going short on nutrition.She is a very fussy eater!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back