• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Chewing Hideaways

MelissaCarrot

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My baby Carrot who is only 5 months old keeps chewing on the plastic and cardboard hideaways I have for her but won't chew on any of the chew toys I have for her. And if I take it away, it seems like she goes crazy and tries to nibble on the bars and base of her C and C cage. I am worried that she might be getting sick from chewing on the plastic and cardboard but also worried that I am putting her in stress when I take the hideaways away. Is it okay for her to chew and possibly eat some of the plastic and cardboard? And what is she doing when I take them away?

Mine have chewed on their plastic houses their whole two years of life and they're fine. If she wants to chew on it, I'd let her. She is probably frustrated and bored when you take them away. I give mine newpaper and cardboard all the time, because it's free and they like it.

Chew toys also end up being ignored in my experience. It's a shame when you splash out for some exciting new toys that they just give one sniff at and ignore from then on. That's just pigs for you!

Newspaper doesn't do any harm. Just make sure each sheet you give them has the staples removed. My elder lady will rip newspaper strip by strip and just eat it. In her lifetime shes probably eaten a whole newspapers worth of paper. It's nothing to be concerned about. Cardboard also seems to be enjoyable. Pigs enjoy cardboard boxes, so perhaps you could swap one of the plastic hideys for a cardboard box to change it up a bit. Cereal boxes are always a favourote, so is a shoebox but that might require some DIY on your behalf.

Mine chew on the bars of their cage when they expect food. If your pig develops this habit don't worry. As it's metal they can't chew it off, they just leave dents all over it.

Chew toys also end up being ignored in my experience. It's a shame when you splash out for some exciting new toys that they just give one sniff at and ignore from then on. That's just pigs for you!

Newspaper doesn't do any harm. Just make sure each sheet you give them has the staples removed. My elder lady will rip newspaper strip by strip and just eat it. In her lifetime shes probably eaten a whole newspapers worth of paper. It's nothing to be concerned about. Cardboard also seems to be enjoyable. Pigs enjoy cardboard boxes, so perhaps you could swap one of the plastic hideys for a cardboard box to change it up a bit. Cereal boxes are always a favourote, so is a shoebox but that might require some DIY on your behalf.

Mine chew on the bars of their cage when they expect food. If your pig develops this habit don't worry. As it's metal they can't chew it off, they just leave dents all over it.
Thanks, esp. since I just found out that she chewed and eaten pieces of the plastic plate I put her food on. The ink on the newspapers doesn't bother your guinea pig?

Back