• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chicco is not doing well

Thank you guys. We really appreciate your support. I just finish feeding critical care to Chicco. He feels so tiny and fragile. He deserves so much better. Hopefully the painkillers will start working soon.

Hello again.

Just gave Chicco antibiotics and painkillers.
I had to pick him up and he felt like a boneless doll. I put him back in the cage and he seems awake but I absolutely don't like this :(

Hello again.

Just gave Chicco antibiotics and painkillers.
I had to pick him up and he felt like a boneless doll. I put him back in the cage and he seems awake but I absolutely don't like this :(
Bless you, I'm holding you in my thoughts.Feed often and around the clock, every two hours if you can x

Chicco almost can't move at all now. He's laying down in his cage, we put a towel on him, in case he's cold, and dimmed the lights, trying not to stress him. You can tell that he wants to move but he's not able to. I feel like there's nothing we can do now.

So sorry. If you are concerned then I would suggest calling your vets out of hours service to see if they can help or having him in at the hospital.

x

It's a bit hard to think straight now, but it feels like he's leaving us.
We did bring him in for an emergency visit last night, then he had another visit with a different vet this morning...I don't know if seeing a vet now would be of any help? I want to do all that is possible, but I'd also want him to go as peacefully as he can, if it's his time. I really don't know whar would be the best for him now :(

Chicco almost can't move at all now. He's laying down in his cage, we put a towel on him, in case he's cold, and dimmed the lights, trying not to stress him. You can tell that he wants to move but he's not able to. I feel like there's nothing we can do now.

I am so sorry! HUGS!

Please contact the out-of-hours vets for advice. You can find them by googling or by listening to the message on your regular vet's phone line.

Morning all.
Chicco is still fighting.

I can see he wants to eat but he is having trouble with the critical care too. It's almost like any kind of movement is becoming an impossible task.

I will call Manor Vets as soon as they open, with the out of hour vet they never know ehat to say.

I am getting concerned for hay intake since he is not getting it for himself. Is the critical care going to be enough? I am using the oxbow brand.

Thank in advance.

Martina

UPDATE: I called the out of hours, no exotic available. I'll wait to call the branch at 8.30 am to see if there is anything they can do or to prepare for the worst. The little prince is still fighting.

Sorry to hear handsome little Chicco isn't doing too well, he does sound quite poorly :(

Was he checked/ xrayed for bladder stones or a very hard/big sperm rod? It's possible with the reluctance to move & bunny hopping that he may have a stone/rod stuck in his urethra?

I'd ask for the maximum dose of painkiller (is it loxicom he's on?) twice daily, this will reduce any inflammation & help with pain, try and keep him on the same level if possible, so he doesn't strain himself any further if its nerve or muscle pain.

Pain will often reduce a Guineas appetite.

Holding you in our thoughts & really hope the vet can help you.
Good luck & a truckload of healing vibes being sent your way.
Love the girls & I. :hug: Xx

Sorry to hear handsome little Chicco isn't doing too well, he does sound quite poorly :(

Was he checked/ xrayed for bladder stones or a very hard/big sperm rod? It's possible with the reluctance to move & bunny hopping that he may have a stone/rod stuck in his urethra?

I'd ask for the maximum dose of painkiller (is it loxicom he's on?) twice daily, this will reduce any inflammation & help with pain, try and keep him on the same level if possible, so he doesn't strain himself any further if its nerve or muscle pain.

Pain will often reduce a Guineas appetite.

Holding you in our thoughts & really hope the vet can help you.
Good luck & a truckload of healing vibes being sent your way.
Love the girls & I. :hug: Xx
Hi there!
Thank you for the message.
Vet put him on antibiotics and painkillers twice a day. He is booked for xray and blood test on Saturday morning.

I am going to call the exotic vet again as soon as the clinic opens. Meanwhile Chicco is trying to fight but he is moving less and less.

We are trying to make him comfortable and relaxed.

:(

I think I'd try and get him in as an emergency at a savvy vets earlier than Saturday, if it is a stone it will be painful, also according to its size & position it could block the urethra, stopping him from peeing. This would be very dangerous for him.

Ask the vet if he's on the maximum dose of painkiller, short term he needs to get his pain down now for quality of life, long term use I know it could possibly have an effect on his kidneys, but I do think the 'here & now' is the most important thing for his quality of life at present.

Big hug for you both as poorly piggy parents :hug:
Xx

Can a stone be diagnosed without internal exams? He's been examined externally quite throughly. We are booking another visit with an exotic vet today asap. I even tried to call the Northampton clinic but they are on holiday until Tuesday unfortunately. At least Chicco was alive this morning when I woke up, which is honestly more than what I could hope for when I went to sleep yesterday. Thanks everyone.

Can a stone be diagnosed without internal exams? He's been examined externally quite throughly. We are booking another visit with an exotic vet today asap. I even tried to call the Northampton clinic but they are on holiday until Tuesday unfortunately. At least Chicco was alive this morning when I woke up, which is honestly more than what I could hope for when I went to sleep yesterday. Thanks everyone.
Unless the vet can feel a stone, an x-ray would be the next step to find out for sure x

Morning all.
Chicco is still fighting.

I can see he wants to eat but he is having trouble with the critical care too. It's almost like any kind of movement is becoming an impossible task.

I will call Manor Vets as soon as they open, with the out of hour vet they never know ehat to say.

I am getting concerned for hay intake since he is not getting it for himself. Is the critical care going to be enough? I am using the oxbow brand.

Thank in advance.

Martina

Critical Care is enough when you feed it every 2 hours to a guinea pig that has stopped eating altogether.
Here are our emergency and crisis care tips: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Small update: we just left Chicco and Lenticchia with the vet, he's gonna have an x-ray and an ultrasound this morning. Hope it's not too much stress for him. He looked better this morning than yesterday night, more responsive and could move more, so that gives us a bit of hope, but he's still far from being his usual self. We'll wait for a call when the tests are done.

Back