• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Chloe is Poorly Vets Wed.

So sorry about Chloe’s health problems at the moment, sending you hugs, what an awful week you’ve had. I would seek a second opinion too x

Oh dear this must be very worrying but try not to get too upset before you get a diagnosis! I think a second opinion from a vet more familiar with piggies is needed.
A good piggy vet should be mostly able to feel their way around a piggy tummy from the outside and say if its likely to be bladder, guts or ovaries that are affected, and they should be treating piggies regularly.
I would try a different vet, then possibly opt for an ultrasound scan if that's something they advise.
Hugs and healing wheeks! X

I am not experienced with piggies, I have only had my girls a few months but I would seek a second opinion. I hope everything goes well for you and Chloe x

Oh David! You are having a horrible time at the moment and you must be so worried.
I would certainly see a more cavy savvy vet for a second opinion. I too would be concerned by a vet who said they don't see many piggies.
Have fingers and toes crossed that it's not serious and Chloe will be better soon.x

Definitely get a second opinion. Try not to worry until you know you've got something to worry about. It could be something that is very easily fixable and it doesn't sound like the vet you saw has very much experience with guinea pigs. Could you not go and see the vet you took Cocoa to? She was very knowledgeable xx

Definitely get a second opinion. Try not to worry until you know you've got something to worry about. It could be something that is very easily fixable and it doesn't sound like the vet you saw has very much experience with guinea pigs. Could you not go and see the vet you took Cocoa to? She was very knowledgeable xx
I would love too it's a round trip off 110 miles and 3 hours if good traffic . . . I'm 100% with that my worry is Chloe is a very bad traveller she misses Heidi and frets in the carrier. But it's a option and last night I was caught up with grief as my magic wand couldn't fix her asap. now I'm better she's eating and yes it's a choice
Thank You . xx

I would love too it's a round trip off 110 miles and 3 hours if good traffic . . . I'm 100% with that my worry is Chloe is a very bad traveller she misses Heidi and frets in the carrier. But it's a option and last night I was caught up with grief as my magic wand couldn't fix her asap. now I'm better she's eating and yes it's a choice
Thank You . xx

Perhaps take Heidi along with her to keep her company. When Donald was at the vets recently daisy went along to keep him company

We've started taking a friend on vet trips too since we bought proper piggy carriers (we used to use a cardboard box as our vet is quite close but invested in proper car safe pet carriers for bringing Ollie home from Sheffield) and having a friend along too helps a lot.
There may be other good vets that are a compromise between 110 miles and the nearest, stay positive and do some research, I'm sure you'll find a good solution and get Chloe a proper diagnosis and treatment!

Has the cat and rabbit care clinic been mentioned? I had Dots ops which was a spay but not routine, had uterus removed and cervical tumour out. I probably am not making sense with that. Because i dont know my pig internal parts. But i got all that for i think it was £250 ish maybe lower. That was with a scan first aswell and a post op checkup. My point is, that is a reasonable price.

You cant pay the price you were quoted @David Piggie Lover . Its ridiculous. I dont know how they can even quote if they dont normally see guinea pigs. I know pets are worth more than any money and you wouldnt give them up for billions, so i dont want to come across as a hypocrite when hating people that neglect animals, but still

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry about Chloe. It's better to take Heidi with Chloe when you travel to the vets in my opinion. This would calm Chloe coz she is with her best friend. Exotic vets are very expensive to be honest. The cost you were quoted is about right for such vets. I would only travel to them IF it's emergency (although Cheshire Pet is now our option) and we can't get an appointment from Cat & Rabbit in Northampton. But if it were me, I would rather go to Cheshire Pet at Holmes Chapel and see Kristina Hunter.

We've started taking a friend on vet trips too since we bought proper piggy carriers (we used to use a cardboard box as our vet is quite close but invested in proper car safe pet carriers for bringing Ollie home from Sheffield) and having a friend along too helps a lot.
There may be other good vets that are a compromise between 110 miles and the nearest, stay positive and do some research, I'm sure you'll find a good solution and get Chloe a proper diagnosis and treatment!
I'm on with one 10 miles away. I be email them this weekend.

Hi @David Piggie Lover. Chloe has not been neutered, nor has Heidi.
You definitely need to see a more Cavy savvy vet. I would not let a vet who is inexperienced (with guinea pigs) carry out investigations or exploratory surgery. I would just not trust them. Kris is super, but I appreciate it’s a very long journey up and down the M6. Have you looked on the vet locator to find one nearer to you than Kris but who is experienced with piggies? Recommended Guinea Pig Vets
I would always take Heidi and Chloe together in a pet carrier for company for each other.

Has the cat and rabbit care clinic been mentioned? I had Dots ops which was a spay but not routine, had uterus removed and cervical tumour out. I probably am not making sense with that. Because i dont know my pig internal parts. But i got all that for i think it was £250 ish maybe lower. That was with a scan first aswell and a post op checkup. My point is, that is a reasonable price.

You cant pay the price you were quoted @David Piggie Lover . Its ridiculous. I dont know how they can even quote if they dont normally see guinea pigs. I know pets are worth more than any money and you wouldnt give them up for billions, so i dont want to come across as a hypocrite when hating people that neglect animals, but still
I agree. I did pay a lot for Cocoa but she was a rare piggie and I've heard since her legacy has helped another piggie get a quicker treatment . . So not expensive. :nod:

I'm sorry about Chloe. It's better to take Heidi with Chloe when you travel to the vets in my opinion. This would calm Chloe coz she is with her best friend. Exotic vets are very expensive to be honest. The cost you were quoted is about right for such vets. I would only travel to them IF it's emergency (although Cheshire Pet is now our option) and we can't get an appointment from Cat & Rabbit in Northampton. But if it were me, I would rather go to Cheshire Pet at Holmes Chapel and see Kristina Hunter.
the prices were from a non Exotic vets.

Hi @David Piggie Lover. Chloe has not been neutered, nor has Heidi.
You definitely need to see a more Cavy savvy vet. I would not let a vet who is inexperienced (with guinea pigs) carry out investigations or exploratory surgery. I would just not trust them. Kris is super, but I appreciate it’s a very long journey up and down the M6. Have you looked on the vet locator to find one nearer to you than Kris but who is experienced with piggies? Recommended Guinea Pig Vets
I would always take Heidi and Chloe together in a pet carrier for company for each other.
Chloe and I Thank you.
I now know we have lots options and oh yes we will attack them. . As I've mentioned I now know of a piggie sav vet near Burnley and I'm going to check her out . . . opps ment Chloe.

Back