• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Clacking Noise?

emilyc216

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I've recently purchased a 3-4 week old male guinea pig as a companion for my slightly older male. Since I've gothen him, I've noticed that he sometimes makes clacking noises at me when I take him out of his cage I've heard crackling noises being associated with URI, but he doesn't have any other symptoms (i.e., sneezing, anorexia, runny eyes, lethargy, etc.) and the noise really seems to be directed at me, as I've never heard him make it while he's in his cage. Still makes me pretty nervous though

It may be an early symptom but I’m not sure, I’d be tempted with a visit to the vet though, tagging @Wiebke and @furryfriends (TEAS) for more advice. Paws crossed your littlun is ok x

I do plan on seeing a vet soon, I've only had him for two days and I'd be way more comfortable getting him checked out before letting him meet his cagemate

It may be an early symptom but I’m not sure, I’d be tempted with a visit to the vet though, tagging @Wiebke and @furryfriends (TEAS) for more advice. Paws crossed your littlun is ok x

Reactions: Tim
I do plan on seeing a vet soon, I've only had him for two days and I'd be way more comfortable getting him checked out before letting him meet his cagemate
Wise move, best get checked out ;) If you don’t already have a cavy savy vet close to hand, there is a recommended vet list at the top of the page on this forum. If you enter your location on your profile (it doesn’t need to be exact, a county will do) it will help the health and illness team here tailor your needs :)

Is it a clacking or a crackling noise? If it's a clacking, he is probably not happy being picked up and he is chattering his teeth at you. If it's crackling in his breathing - that's one for the vet.

Is it a clacking or a crackling noise? If it's a clacking, he is probably not happy being picked up and he is chattering his teeth at you. If it's crackling in his breathing - that's one for the vet.
He moves his mouth a lot when he makes the noise so I think it's chattering, but I'm still gonna take him to the vet to get him check out, as he's new. Just wanted to see how urgent the situation seemed though :)

He moves his mouth a lot when he makes the noise so I think it's chattering, but I'm still gonna take him to the vet to get him check out, as he's new. Just wanted to see how urgent the situation seemed though :)

As he is not showing any other symptoms, you can have him checked during regular hours. I would recommend to not wait too long as you can reclaim any necessary vet treatment from a pet shop if you have your piggy seen within the first 2 weeks, as exposure and infection must have happened at the shop.

Is your piggy a single? In this case, please consider getting him a companion once he has checked out healthy. He will be a lot happier and will come round a lot more quickly as he is currently feeling very lost. Guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live on their own.
Please double check the gender of any piggies before you introduce and follow our tips.
Companionship

New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection
(includes tips on settling in, handling, making friends, understanding behaviour and doing intros as well as care tips and learning what is normal and not etc.)

As he is not showing any other symptoms, you can have him checked during regular hours. I would recommend to not wait too long as you can reclaim any necessary vet treatment from a pet shop if you have your piggy seen within the first 2 weeks, as exposure and infection must have happened at the shop.

Is your piggy a single? In this case, please consider getting him a companion once he has checked out healthy. He will be a lot happier and will come round a lot more quickly as he is currently feeling very lost. Guinea pigs are group animals and not wired to live on their own.
Please double check the gender of any piggies before you introduce and follow our tips.
Companionship

New Owners' Problem Solver And Information Collection
(includes tips on settling in, handling, making friends, understanding behaviour and doing intros as well as care tips and learning what is normal and not etc.)
I plan in getting him seen on Monday, if the office is open (we're in the middle of a big snow storm.) And he has a cage mate but they haven't been introduced yet because I wanted to quarantine him for a week or two before putting him in the main cage. Their cages are somewhat shouldered though, so they can see and talk to each other without touching each other

Wise move, best get checked out ;) If you don’t already have a cavy savy vet close to hand, there is a recommended vet list at the top of the page on this forum. If you enter your location on your profile (it doesn’t need to be exact, a county will do) it will help the health and illness team here tailor your needs :)
Got him checked out by the vet today and she said nothing seems to be wrong with his lungs :) Though he does have mild pink eye (presumably from the store he came from) and I got an antibiotic ointment for it

Back