• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cleaning Out!

Jann

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dear members,
We have just acquired three super guinea pigs. I would love a little advice 're changing of bedding, please.
As these little ones appear to soil a single place on a daily basis (removed daily), is it necessary to change all shavings more often than weekly? Most of the large cage is free from soiling and appears very clean and dry.
Also, is it necessary to change hay more than weekly? As it is a dry food, so long as it is not spoiled, surely this is also fine?

Hi there and welcome! You are lucky that they all do there business in the same place :tu: but as for leaving food and hay for a week! I dont think this would be a good idea as the shavings you use may start to developing fungle spors, and the powder /dust released by these spoors is not only a real heath risk to your pigs , but also a risk to you!
Difficult to say without seeing a photo of your set up, but l would think clean the soiled aria daily and renew all the shavings and hay every 2 to 4 days

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Change Hay and Food daily, they will wee in the hay. Fresh hay is important and really vital in a pigs diet, you want them to eat lots of hay, important for teeth and gut. Shavings as long as it is not dirty could be once a week depending on size of cage if you spot clean the soiled area and replace as you are doing

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee

Dear members,
We have just acquired three super guinea pigs. I would love a little advice 're changing of bedding, please.
As these little ones appear to soil a single place on a daily basis (removed daily), is it necessary to change all shavings more often than weekly? Most of the large cage is free from soiling and appears very clean and dry.
Also, is it necessary to change hay more than weekly? As it is a dry food, so long as it is not spoiled, surely this is also fine?

80% of the daily food intake should be hay. Guinea pigs have double the number of taste buds as us humans (and a multiple of that of cats), so they appreciate fresh food and will eat more when it is not soiled. This contributes largely to their overall health and longevity. The silica in hay and grass is what actually grinds down the fast growing back teeth of guinea pigs. It is absolutely vital for them! Please NEVER stint on the hay and offer plenty of fresh hay, ideally twice daily. You offer stalky timothy in a rack and use softer orchard or meadow hay on top of the bedding. This minimises the risk of hay pokes and eye injuries.

I would also strongly recommend that you serve pellets and a mix of fresh veg in small portions twice daily in as many bowls as there are piggies. This means that no food gets spoiled and that your piggies are encouraged to eat as much hay as possible. It is really makes a difference to how long they live!
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Can I please ask whether your have boars or sows? Please be aware that baby boar trios have a fall-out rate of around 90% in the first year of their lives once they hit the hormonal teenage months. Please always double check the gender of any new piggies upon arrival. Mis-sexing is sadly much more common than you would expect.

You can find lots of more information on boar behaviour as well as a good sexing link in our new owners' guide:
New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

Hi there and welcome! You are lucky that they all do there business in the same place :tu: but as for leaving food and hay for a week! I dont think this would be a good idea as the shavings you use may start to developing fungle spors, and the powder /dust released by these spoors is not only a real heath risk to your pigs , but also a risk to you!
Difficult to say without seeing a photo of your set up, but l would think clean the soiled aria daily and renew all the shavings and hay every 2 to 4 days

Thank you very much. I will do this

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Change Hay and Food daily, they will wee in the hay. Fresh hay is important and really vital in a pigs diet, you want them to eat lots of hay, important for teeth and gut. Shavings as long as it is not dirty could be once a week depending on size of cage if you spot clean the soiled area and replace as you are doing

Could you add your location to your profile as it helps us tailor any advice if ever needed to your geographical location

Welcome again
Lee
Thank you for super welcome, Lee. Will change hay daily and shavings every few. thanks again

80% of the daily food intake should be hay. Guinea pigs have double the number of taste buds as us humans (and a multiple of that of cats), so they appreciate fresh food and will eat more when it is not soiled. This contributes largely to their overall health and longevity. The silica in hay and grass is what actually grinds down the fast growing back teeth of guinea pigs. It is absolutely vital for them! Please NEVER stint on the hay and offer plenty of fresh hay, ideally twice daily. You offer stalky timothy in a rack and use softer orchard or meadow hay on top of the bedding. This minimises the risk of hay pokes and eye injuries.

I would also strongly recommend that you serve pellets and a mix of fresh veg in small portions twice daily in as many bowls as there are piggies. This means that no food gets spoiled and that your piggies are encouraged to eat as much hay as possible. It is really makes a difference to how long they live!
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Can I please ask whether your have boars or sows? Please be aware that baby boar trios have a fall-out rate of around 90% in the first year of their lives once they hit the hormonal teenage months. Please always double check the gender of any new piggies upon arrival. Mis-sexing is sadly much more common than you would expect.

You can find lots of more information on boar behaviour as well as a good sexing link in our new owners' guide:
New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice
Thank you! We weren't told the difference between hay types! In fact, very little info really. Learning as we go. Piggies are female, I hope! Very skittish, but still young, getting used to cuddles and being in a large daily run, which they love. Thank you for your help.

Thank you! We weren't told the difference between hay types! In fact, very little info really. Learning as we go. Piggies are female, I hope! Very skittish, but still young, getting used to cuddles and being in a large daily run, which they love. Thank you for your help.

Shop personnel and for sale breeders are unfortunately generally not known for their knowledge of the animals they sell. :(

You arer welcome to ask any questions you may have as you go along in our Care sections. We are a friendly forum that will answer them all.

Back