• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

confusing first day. advice needed

grassypiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
(get ready for long question, oops) so i got my first girls Eloise and Eclair today! but its been odd! one of them is bold and has been wheeking ever since i brought out the timothy hay (they were being fed incorrect hay in previous home) and is being very bold (eating out my hand, coming to front of cage, etc) but the other only comes out after a few mins of realizing i'm not a predator, eats her food, then hides at ANY noise or movement from me. so how should i go about this? i don't want to scare Eclair but Eloise seems to want attention! advice?

Eclair is likely going to take a bit longer to get used to you so give them both time to settle for a little while with some treats dotted about the cage- this should entice her out to explore a bit.

Whenever you go to interact with the piggies I'd bring a tasty treat with you so that they both can associate you with good things. Hopefully Eclair will see that the 'scary human' is actually a human with lots of tasty edible snacks!! Talking whenever your near the cage or leaving the TV/radio on (I don't know where you keep them😂 might be outside) can get them used to your voice.

My newest boar, Bellamy, whom I got in February is still a little skittish and some piggies just are a little less sure and will require longer to fully tame. He is a lot better than he was and now realises I don't come to hurt him.

Leaving your hand in the cage for Eclair to come up to and sniff can be good too. Just be patient and don't think she doesn't like you. :)

What was the "wrong hay" they were fed? Mine have always had meadow hay straight from the farm. Lovely organic green stuff and are in the peak of health.

I have had my piggies for over 3 years an Meg was born here ( shop pregnancy) so she has been around big scary Hoomans all her life and is still very skittish and is difficult to pick up and I know she trusts me. The prey instinct in some Piggies is stronger than in others.

I got 2 girls last week. One was 7 weeks old and one was 5 months. I figured the older one would help the younger one settle in but I was completely wrong! The baby is so confident and doesn't run when I go to pick her up whereas the older one hides at any noise and darts away when I go to pick her up. As soon as I've got her she settles down but it can be quite a chase 😂

Talk to them..... As soon as you enter the room - they need to hear your voice and they will soon get used to it.. If i walk into their room and don't speak - they jump a mile but if i talk they know its me and its all good - they don't flinch at all... They will need time to settle into their new home, new noises and smells etc...

When I first got mine, i pulled up a chair and spoke gently to them for as long as i could! Good luck..

Back