• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Constant Scrapping

kayles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two 6 month old boars, tonight the fighting hit an all time high when one of them came away dripping blood from where he had been bitten on his nose and mouth, he already had a chunk missing from his ear and multiple cuts on his nose but tonight was the worst it’s been since the ear which resulted in a vets visit.
I phoned the breeder I got them from and she suggested separating them and that sometimes matchings just don’t work. They are in seperate areas in the shed for tonight. The breeder has offered to rehome my more dominant boar, I don’t want to get rid of either.

I don’t need anyone telling me how stupid it was but a third baby was introduced, they were getting along fine until this evening, I’ve had plenty of support from the breeder throughout this. I want to add that the fighting started LONG BEFORE the introduction of the third pig.

Any advice would be appreciated but at this moment in time I’m very upset and aware I may have made a mistake

I'm going through the same thing. Not such a violent end as your pair, but my boys have also been fighting badly and I've had to separate them. It's heartbreaking isn't it? :( my boyfriend and I have opted to get both boys neutered and partnered with a girl each - if you have the space then maybe it's an option for you as well? Or maybe pair up two that get along well and then get a girl/better matched boy for the lonely boar?

We were the same - getting rid of a boy is just not an option for us so this is the choice we've made. I hope things work out for you x

And by the way, try not to beat yourself up. You didn't know they were going to fight, and I know it's hard (God knows it's destroying me knowing my boys can't be together) but your breeder is right- sometimes it just doesn't work. It's not your fault x

And by the way, try not to beat yourself up. You didn't know they were going to fight, and I know it's hard (God knows it's destroying me knowing my boys can't be together) but your breeder is right- sometimes it just doesn't work. It's not your fault x

He was dripping blood on me last night, it was horrible :( I always thought Conker would be the boss as he’s the biggest but size means nothing in the piggie world!
They are apart.. my injured boy had a new friend anyway. I spoke to the breeder last night and had to pass the phone to my boyfriend because I was just sobbing but I rang her this morning and was discussing using half of our shed 6x4ft to make them a piggie playground and see if it makes any difference with lots of extra space.. if not, I have no idea what I’m going to do.. she suggested putting my dominant boar with a bunny but I’ve seen that there are guinea pig dating services, so they can choose their own friend.. so we shall see what happens! Horrible time for me at the moment
I hope your situation improves!

He was dripping blood on me last night, it was horrible :( I always thought Conker would be the boss as he’s the biggest but size means nothing in the piggie world!
They are apart.. my injured boy had a new friend anyway. I spoke to the breeder last night and had to pass the phone to my boyfriend because I was just sobbing but I rang her this morning and was discussing using half of our shed 6x4ft to make them a piggie playground and see if it makes any difference with lots of extra space.. if not, I have no idea what I’m going to do.. she suggested putting my dominant boar with a bunny but I’ve seen that there are guinea pig dating services, so they can choose their own friend.. so we shall see what happens! Horrible time for me at the moment
I hope your situation improves!

I'm sorry you had to go through that :( dominance wise we also had a sure winner. Aries is still our bet for the most dominant boar but as Artemis has aged he seems less willing to back down, which is what started the fighting for us we think

We're taking ours to a rescue that offers a bonding service once they're neutered. She's got a sow who is due pups soon and if there are two girls we're hoping to bond our boys with them. Too scared to do it myself in case it goes badly though so quite happy to let her do it for us.

Best of luck with your boars. We only want what's best for them at the end of it all x

I'm sorry you had to go through that :( dominance wise we also had a sure winner. Aries is still our bet for the most dominant boar but as Artemis has aged he seems less willing to back down, which is what started the fighting for us we think

We're taking ours to a rescue that offers a bonding service once they're neutered. She's got a sow who is due pups soon and if there are two girls we're hoping to bond our boys with them. Too scared to do it myself in case it goes badly though so quite happy to let her do it for us.

Best of luck with your boars. We only want what's best for them at the end of it all x
Yeah, I was just reading your post! I’m about to brave it and go and check on my boys! Scared! I would love my boar re bonded with another piggie but I haven’t had a reply from the only place locally that has that service that I’ve found yet!

I had the same problem and I bathed my three together so that they all have the same scent and put them in a non-teratorial place such as the kitchen floor and let them play together. It really helped and soon after they were all really good friends. It took a while though so don't give up hope!

Yeah, I was just reading your post! I’m about to brave it and go and check on my boys! Scared! I would love my boar re bonded with another piggie but I haven’t had a reply from the only place locally that has that service that I’ve found yet!

It's always disheartening when places don't respond to you for things like this :(

Best of luck checking on your boys! X

I had the same problem and I bathed my three together so that they all have the same scent and put them in a non-teratorial place such as the kitchen floor and let them play together. It really helped and soon after they were all really good friends. It took a while though so don't give up hope!

You have three boars? I have 2 that I got together in August from babies.. they have been fighting a lot.. I spoke to the breeder as she had a lone baby and we thought it would be okay, which it was but the more dominant one was just a bully to everyone as he has been for a while..

I’m too scared to have them all back together again :(
I have my two original boars in the house at the moment and they are looking for each other but as soon as they are close it’s all teeth chattering :(

It's always disheartening when places don't respond to you for things like this :(

Best of luck checking on your boys! X
I couldn’t find the one that I’ve taken out the hutch. No idea what to do, I can’t do a wild guinea pig chase every time I go to check on them :( but I’ve got no where else I can keep him :/

Dont be so hard on yourself hun, this happens,its so so so natural, pretty much everyone who has owned boars has experienced something like this!
If you plan to re-introduce them, do it over the course of 3 days or so, if nothings happening, i suggest getting either a way bigger cage, or even 2 neutered females into separate cages, one for each boar.
Hope goes all well x

Dont be so hard on yourself hun, this happens,its so so so natural, pretty much everyone who has owned boars has experienced something like this!
If you plan to re-introduce them, do it over the course of 3 days or so, if nothings happening, i suggest getting either a way bigger cage, or even 2 neutered females into separate cages, one for each boar.
Hope goes all well x

I can’t bring myself to reintroduce them and face anything like the cuts the other one has :( my other boar took on the new baby we got so they are in the hutch..

136C2953-C179-45C6-A4A7-647AA1802C18.jpeg B7FE9DB8-CE5E-40BE-A83D-453665CECF2E.jpeg His ear from the worst of the scraps and his nose/lip tonight

Hi @kayles ! So you have two boys together and one separate at the moment?

The fighting and blood being drawn sounds like it's never going to work unfortunately so you're not going to be able to get them to be a trio.

There are a few options:
1) Rehome your single boy. Easier said than done I know, we love our pigs and letting go is hard. But sometimes we have to so they can have a happier life.

2) Find him a new boar friend and house them separate to your other two. Finding single boars can be pretty hard though

3) Have him neutered and get him a girlfriend. This would give you more options in finding a cagemate. They would need to be housed separate from the others. This involves an operation for him but for a good guinea pig vet it's a fairly routine operation.

Hi @kayles ! So you have two boys together and one separate at the moment?

The fighting and blood being drawn sounds like it's never going to work unfortunately so you're not going to be able to get them to be a trio.

There are a few options:
1) Rehome your single boy. Easier said than done I know, we love our pigs and letting go is hard. But sometimes we have to so they can have a happier life.

2) Find him a new boar friend and house them separate to your other two. Finding single boars can be pretty hard though

3) Have him neutered and get him a girlfriend. This would give you more options in finding a cagemate. They would need to be housed separate from the others. This involves an operation for him but for a good guinea pig vet it's a fairly routine operation.

He’s not very old, only about 6 months and doesn’t seem to have ‘matured’ yet... so not sure he can be neutered.. also not sure if there is a vet locally that can do such a thing

Sadly boar trios rarely work into adulthood. Don’t blame yourself, especially if you were encouraged by the breeder to think it may work.
As blood has been drawn in a proper fight it is highly unlikely that any reintroduction will ever result in a permanent happy union so the options are, as @Jaycey has set out so well above.
Sorry that it hasn’t worked out, but the reality is that you will have to find an alternative solution.

Please keep his wounds clean with home made saline and watch out for any signs of infection. Poor lad. Those look painful.

Yeah, his ear did heal very well and quickly.. his nose I think is okay, but am I right that it’s rock salt and boiling water cooled down? Not sure what to do with my single boy, whether to rehome him, neuter to possibly try one of these ‘guinea pig dating’ services but I didn’t even know they existed until today! Having a shed rearrange this weekend, then decide what I am going to do from there.
My boy might be alone for a while, is there anything I can read to make sure he’s okay while he’s on his own? I’m very worried

Back