• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cottage Cheese

Zoroastor

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our piggy, Fluffy, has had a low appetite. When our daughter told us, we checked him to find some crusted eye discharge and a “cottage cheesy” like substance in the inside corners of his mouth.

I’ve seen that this can be associated with thrush, but he has no other scabs, sores or redness; and he hasn’t been on any antibiotics. Poos seem firm/normal.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
No idea I’m afraid. Best thing to do would be to take him to the vet for proper diagnosis and treatment as necessary.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Our piggy, Fluffy, has had a low appetite. When our daughter told us, we checked him to find some crusted eye discharge and a “cottage cheesy” like substance in the inside corners of his mouth.

I’ve seen that this can be associated with thrush, but he has no other scabs, sores or redness; and he hasn’t been on any antibiotics. Poos seem firm/normal.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Please have him seen prompty by a vet. If it is indeed oral thrush, then he will ideally need an oral antifungal with an active ingredient like itraconazole or similar (a suitable cat brand has been successfully used in the UK for any candida and tinea infections for years now). We cannot diagnose sight unseen nor are we medically and legally qualified to do so.
The thrush is rather painful and unpleasant and can cause lack of appetite and swallowing issues, so the sooner your boy is treated, the better.

Until then, please follow the advice in this guide; monitor his weight daily at the same time instead of once weekly (normal kitchen scales from the supermarket will do) and step in with fibrous hay - and NOT veg - based feeding support if needed (you can find improvising tips for emergencies and more practical details in the very useful guide - one to bookmark): Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

exia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had a boy that used to get oral thursh. It started kind of the same way and quickly became like a brown cold sore. We went to the vet and he was given some kind of fungal infection ointment. We also helped him with critical care for a couple of days because he it was a placed in a way that hurted, so he could just nibble a bit on food.

This was 15 years ago so I can't remember if it was something else in the mix... But he became better. Then he got it again and became good for a few times before it was gone for real. We don't know what caused it, his cage mage didn't get it. All I can recommend you is to call the vet ASAP and let them help the little guy!

Zoroastor

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please have him seen prompty by a vet. If it is indeed oral thrush, then he will ideally need an oral antifungal with an active ingredient like itraconazole or similar (a suitable cat brand has been successfully used in the UK for any candida and tinea infections for years now). We cannot diagnose sight unseen nor are we medically and legally qualified to do so.
The thrush is rather painful and unpleasant and can cause lack of appetite and swallowing issues, so the sooner your boy is treated, the better.

Until then, please follow the advice in this guide; monitor his weight daily at the same time instead of once weekly (normal kitchen scales from the supermarket will do) and step in with fibrous hay - and NOT veg - based feeding support if needed (you can find improvising tips for emergencies and more practical details in the very useful guide - one to bookmark): Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

He’s going today. I’m pretty sure it’s thrush, but the over the counter miconazole gels - daktarin, etc.- are not available here, in the states, without prescription. It’s probably best that the vet sees him anyway.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
He’s going today. I’m pretty sure it’s thrush, but the over the counter miconazole gels - daktarin, etc.- are not available here, in the states, without prescription. It’s probably best that the vet sees him anyway.

Please ask for oral fungicidal (cat) medication because any oral gels will not get into the whole mouth cavity, unlike the systemic one. It doesn't matter which active anti-fungal substance is being used; they all work.

All the best! You will still need to weigh daily and support feed with recovery formula or mushed up pellets because it will take a fee days to take full effect.