• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Coughing Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treaclelove

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 boars who are roughly 7 months old and I noticed they have been coughing a bit it is often after taking them out of their cage and putting them back in they give a little cough it is not raspy and at first I mistook it for sneezing but it kept happening and it does not happen when they eat like I have heard about before. They both do it. Some days it will seem a bit worse and happen about 3 times in the space of 10 minutes other times I hardly notice it at all. Am I just being paranoid

I have 2 boars who are roughly 7 months old and I noticed they have been coughing a bit it is often after taking them out of their cage and putting them back in they give a little cough it is not raspy and at first I mistook it for sneezing but it kept happening and it does not happen when they eat like I have heard about before. They both do it. Some days it will seem a bit worse and happen about 3 times in the space of 10 minutes other times I hardly notice it at all. Am I just being paranoid

Can you check whether there is a lot of dust in the cage (hay) or whether the cage is near a radiator, which could make the air more dry?

Can you check whether there is a lot of dust in the cage (hay) or whether the cage is near a radiator, which could make the air more dry?
They have 3/4 of the cage as fleece and the other quarter is full of dust extracted hay they live in our shed though which recently had lighting and a ceramic heater put in to keep them warm and bright in the winter the ceramic heater is very drying but it is not on unless I am in the shed which is about 2-3 hours per day. The shed as a whole can be a bit dusty but I'm not sure how you would stop that

Last edited:
As they are only coughing when they going back to their cage, it is likely something either that you are carrying (a scent/scented product?) or something around the cage. You could try a bowl of steaming water next to their cage and see whether that makes a difference.

It does certainly not sound like a URI/respiratory infection and it sounds like something minor.

I was wondering if it could be linked to a heart condition as I heard Random coughing could be a symptom is this possible?

I was wondering if it could be linked to a heart condition as I heard Random coughing could be a symptom is this possible?

No, it isn't. For that, the coughing needs to be much more persistent and pronounced, and you are most likely to also notice other symptoms that might point towards a heart condition, none of which you have mentioned. ;)

Thank you That's taken a weight off my mind sorry if it seemed a bit petty but I'm still quite new to Guinea pig ownership and don't want anything to go wrong.

Thank you That's taken a weight off my mind sorry if it seemed a bit petty but I'm still quite new to Guinea pig ownership and don't want anything to go wrong.

We are here to help you work out what is normal and what needs to be seen by a vet. it is better that you ask too much than the other way round. ;)

I'm not sure whether this is useful information for you but I had a GP that coughed quite a lot, but only closer observation I realised it was only after he'd had a drink. He was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back