• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cripple Front Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo&Coco

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I returned home this afternoon, I found one of my piggies' front right leg is crippled. She can barely walk and always hold up the front right leg. My cage is opened 24 hours a day so they can just come in and out in an open area. Instead of running around, now she just sit and lying side way most of the time. I check her front leg but she did not squeal. Should I assume there is nothing broken? Does it require operation if there is a broken leg? What is the normal recovery time?

I have an appointment with the vet on Friday.

@Oreo&Coco It completely depends on what has happened to her leg, and only a vet can know as it may need to be xrayed.

One of my boys hurt his front leg somehow so I took him to the vet that day. She had a good look at it and confirmed it was a sprain. He got some pain relief (Metacam) and it was okay within a week.

Broken legs can be fixed by confining a pig to allow it to heal, but it may also need amputation, depending on how it is broken.

Try to see the vet today as it will be painful for your pig.

@Oreo&Coco It completely depends on what has happened to her leg, and only a vet can know as it may need to be xrayed.

One of my boys hurt his front leg somehow so I took him to the vet that day. She had a good look at it and confirmed it was a sprain. He got some pain relief (Metacam) and it was okay within a week.

Broken legs can be fixed by confining a pig to allow it to heal, but it may also need amputation, depending on how it is broken.

Try to see the vet today as it will be painful for your pig.

Thanks for the promptly response. The vet for small animals is only available on Monday, Wed and Friday. So Friday is the earliest. She did not squeal so I assume she has less pain.

Thanks for the promptly response. The vet for small animals is only available on Monday, Wed and Friday. So Friday is the earliest. She did not squeal so I assume she has less pain.

It is hopefully just a sprain somewhere along the leg, but please have her seen tomorrow. Front legs are the weight bearing ones, so any pain and limp is always much more dramatic than on the back legs, which act as springs/propellers.

If she still cannot put any weight on her leg at all and is still in a lot of pain, it is a sign that there may be a fracture. Keep her confined and as calm as possible if that is the case.

It is hopefully just a sprain somewhere along the leg, but please have her seen tomorrow. Front legs are the weight bearing ones, so any pain and limp is always much more dramatic than on the back legs, which act as springs/propellers.

If she still cannot put any weight on her leg at all and is still in a lot of pain, it is a sign that there may be a fracture. Keep her confined and as calm as possible if that is the case.

Thanks for your advice. Called the vet again and they are able to squeeze in an afternoon appointment today. Will see what happen to Oreo.

Thanks for your advice. Called the vet again and they are able to squeeze in an afternoon appointment today. Will see what happen to Oreo.

All the best! Please be aware that the injury/sprain may not sit in the foot, but in one of the joints right up to the shoulder/hip.

Just returned from the vet. The vet looked at her leg/shoulder/joints and also moved it around. Oreo didn't even had a single squeal during the whole process. It is concluded that it is a sprain at this stage. The vet prescribed Metacam for pain relief. We will observe Oreo for one week and will consider taking xray if the situation doesn't improve. Hope she will recover soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back