• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crusty patches on nose

carlidunaway

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I’m new to the forums so go easy on me haha but I was just wanting to know if anybody possibly knows what this could be? She’s acting completely normal, eating fine, not lethargic, drinking normally, going to the bathroom fine. I just noticed these crusty scab like things on her nose a few days ago. She has a cage mate and she hasn’t gotten anything on her so I’m assuming it’s not contagious but I’m just not sure. I’ve read about something called fungal nose stripe but I can’t tell if that’s what it is or a URI. 825A6959-70BE-4B18-84E9-FE47A6905A4E.jpegFA9680F7-5C2E-4E0D-AB0B-393AD45358CE.jpeg

Hi I’m new to the forums so go easy on me haha but I was just wanting to know if anybody possibly knows what this could be? She’s acting completely normal, eating fine, not lethargic, drinking normally, going to the bathroom fine. I just noticed these crusty scab like things on her nose a few days ago. She has a cage mate and she hasn’t gotten anything on her so I’m assuming it’s not contagious but I’m just not sure. I’ve read about something called fungal nose stripe but I can’t tell if that’s what it is or a URI. View attachment 114712View attachment 114713

Please have your little girl vet checked for potential ringworm (fungal skin infection). It is sadly very common in newly bought pet shop and breeder piggies. You can reclaim the vet cost from the seller as infection and transmission have happened at their place and you have in effect been sold faulty ware.

If you have two piggies (which I hope since guinea pigs are social group animals that are not wired to live on their own), you always need to treat both. Please be aware that ringworm is highly contagious and does jump species boundaries to other pets and humans.

Please take the time to read these two links below. If your vet diagnoses ringworm, good hygiene is absolute key to get on top if it and prevent it from spreading as the long lived invisible spores are a real problem. In over a dozen years we have just about found every possible transmission angle the hard way and figured out how to counter it; that is why our advice works.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness) (includes advice on your customer rights)
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Please note that we can only make educated guesses from a picture that cannot replace a hands-on vet examination and none of us is a qualified vet.

I agree with Weibke. It looks like a fungal ringworm infection. You shoud have your piggie checked by an experianced small animal or exotic vet. Please look at the hygeine links she put also because ringworm is contagious to humans

Back