• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cutting Nails Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeccaJo044

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fargo, North Dakota; United States of America
I have two different scenarios involving two different piggies. My first one has the dark black nails. I have shined lights through them and is nearly impossible to see through. I normally just cut off the very end and fix any curved ones but is this okay to do? My second problem is my one guinea pig chews her nails. I thought I wasn't cutting them soon enough but I ended up checking her one to two weeks and she still is chewing on them no matter how short I get them. Normal? Or is she unique? Thanks!

I have two different scenarios involving two different piggies. My first one has the dark black nails. I have shined lights through them and is nearly impossible to see through. I normally just cut off the very end and fix any curved ones but is this okay to do? My second problem is my one guinea pig chews her nails. I thought I wasn't cutting them soon enough but I ended up checking her one to two weeks and she still is chewing on them no matter how short I get them. Normal? Or is she unique? Thanks!

It is very difficult to cut dark nails. I know of members who are using a copier! If you haven't got one, you do what you are doing.

it is also not at all unusual for piggies to bite a nail or two into a sharp spike for scratching.

Hi,
I use a nail file that is not metal to trim my piggies nails as my profile piggy - Poppy - has black nails and they are a nightmare to cut.

one of my piggies has a mixture of clear and black nails and shes the squirmer of the 2 so cutting hers is a nightmare, theres no way I could keep her still long enough to try and see through the black nails. I just cut the ends off hers more regularly than I do my other pig and hers have been fine. It can be a tricky progress but you will get more confident the more you do it. I was petrified when I did them for the first time but you learn to trust each other :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back