• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cysts? Tumour? Pig At Risk Of Pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm putting this thread on to ask for a second opinion on behalf of a friend. She has a guinea pig and her vets have suggested that she is to put her guinea pig to sleep because of the growths on her back. I told her I would ask on here what everyone thought of the matter? The growths are massive and seem to be growing.
Apart from the obvious growths, cookie (guinea pig) seems happy and still eating and drinking..

Pictures attached

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor piggy! That looks really nasty indeed! I am not sure whether it is still operable and whether any operation can prevent it from coming back, if it is very fast growing. In any case, it would be a very taxing and borderline operation that can go either way even for the best of vets. My money is on a tumour, but only a lab test can bring clarity, and your friend may not have the luxury of time to wait for results. :(

@helen105281 @Jaycey @Elwickcavies @Adelle

Kirsty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeah I think she just feels sad with the option of putting to sleep because cookie still is eating and drinking and appears happy :(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I think she just feels sad with the option of putting to sleep because cookie still is eating and drinking and appears happy :(
If it is inoperable, then the right time for pts is once the piggy is no longer well in itself. Your friend will know when that time has come; whatever it is, it is obviously not impacting on any major organs so far.

Facing pts for the first time is very daunting, as is making any major decisions when a piggy is still comparatively well in itself.

brillmini

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is a horrible decision to make and just like wiebke says your friend will know. We were exactly the same with ours we took her to the vets a couple of wks ago and she was diagnosed with a tumour but was fine in herself but by this Monday she had gone off all her favourite foods it has broken our hearts but she was 6yrs old the tumour had grown to the size of a golf ball and the vet said she had another tumour on her neck so we had her pts. I do feel guilty but I know it was the kindest thing to do xx

D

DM030819

I was in a similar situation a year or so ago but my pig had an internal lump.

I went to the vet to discuss my options, to see if surgery was a valid option and how confident the vet was in being able to do it.

We had a very honest conversation and it made me feel much better when I made my choice.

So, if your friends pig were mine I would go to the vet first, just to see if surgery is an option and what the chance of success is.

If it's not an option then love and enjoy the piggy until your friend knows when it's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.