• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

D.i.y indoor perimeter fence

D

DMS260820

Decided today to make an indoor fence to stop my pigs running where they shouldnt on floor time. The plan is to buy trellice from homebase that doesnt had big holes, saw it into section and put hinges on every joint so that every next hinge is the opposite way round so it folds up and stores away.

Will show photos later if i get the bits. This will also be where i bond my pigs in a few weeeks

Basicly its going to be a playpen but bigger

Well the result was a big FAIL and ive binned it all. I know now that I'm crap at d.i.y and i should stick to buying

Reactions: G&C
Worth trying though!
Could you not just use c&c grids, cable tie them top and bottom but don’t join the last two grids together. That way it concertinas up and store easily. This is what I have as an indoor playpen/spare emergency cage. I then just unfold, form it into whatever size and put the connectors on. Mine is tied together to make a 6x3 but I can just fold out as much of it as I need - last weekend I had it as a 5x2 and the extra grids just fold back on themselves so are out of the way.

Worth trying though!
Could you not just use c&c grids, cable tie them top and bottom but don’t join the last two grids together. That way it concertinas up and store easily. This is what I have as an indoor playpen/spare emergency cage. I then just unfold, form it into whatever size and put the connectors on. Mine is tied together to make a 6x3 but I can just fold out as much of it as I need - last weekend I had it as a 5x2 and the extra grids just fold back on themselves so are out of the way.
Yea i will do this soon. I get an idea in my head and cant resist doing it. All seems good in my head but no, not the case! I think i will stick to drawing and looking after pigs

I got a bunny business runoff Amazon for around 30 quid which folds up and down in seconds and you can choose the size and shape. It works well as an indoor run. I even used it as a temporary pen when I had to take 2 piggies with me to stay with Grandma for the weekend.

I got a bunny business runoff Amazon for around 30 quid which folds up and down in seconds and you can choose the size and shape. It works well as an indoor run. I even used it as a temporary pen when I had to take 2 piggies with me to stay with Grandma for the weekend.
Can you still see them play? I see some runs but they have very high non see though sides

Yea that looks good, pets@home wanted £70 for basicly the same 🤔

I use mine every day when they come inside for cuddle time and I like it. If I am feeling particularly rebellious I let them free range (The OH doesn't like this) but then it is hard to catch them to put them back in the hutch as they are having loads of fun running around.

I use mine every day when they come inside for cuddle time and I like it. If I am feeling particularly rebellious I let them free range (The OH doesn't like this) but then it is hard to catch them to put them back in the hutch as they are having loads of fun running around.
Yea mine are very hard to catch, they remember where all the hiding places are

How big should an indoor run be?
My two boys live in an outdoor hutch because I’m not allowed pets inside (landlord is clearly not an animal lover) but I wanted to bring them in for a bit of a run around while it’s cold and raining and I can’t put them out on the grass.
I’ve got some correx and grids coming this week. I’ve got enough grids to make a 4x2 run. Is this big enough? Or should I get more grids?

How big should an indoor run be?
My two boys live in an outdoor hutch because I’m not allowed pets inside (landlord is clearly not an animal lover) but I wanted to bring them in for a bit of a run around while it’s cold and raining and I can’t put them out on the grass.
I’ve got some correx and grids coming this week. I’ve got enough grids to make a 4x2 run. Is this big enough? Or should I get more grids?

I would be wary. If your landlord has said no to them being indoors then you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement. If they find out you can be evicted for it.

Also @Fozzy44 you shouldn't subject the piggies to sudden changes in temperature like moving between indoor and outdoor as it can cause health problems.

I would also add that I don't see the point of putting them in a run unless they are going to have more space than they have in their hutch/cage. 4x2 us the minimum size for a pair so not sure what it will achieve

Also @Fozzy44 you shouldn't subject the piggies to sudden changes in temperature like moving between indoor and outdoor as it can cause health problems.

I would also add that I don't see the point of putting them in a run unless they are going to have more space than they have in their hutch/cage. 4x2 us the minimum size for a pair so not sure what it will achieve

Everybody always talks about “floor time” and with the cold/wet weather I can’t let them outside on the grass for a run around like I use to do with my rabbits. I don’t want them getting bored. Obviously I can’t keep them inside but I want to make sure they’re getting the best life I can give them

It’s 6ft wide, 4ft high, not sure how deep it is. It’s over 2 floors. There’s 2 pigs in there.
Your hutch is plenty big enough for 2 pigs. Have you put some carpet on the ramp? I have just done this for my piggies and they go up and down with a sedately walk instead of an "I'll have to think about it and take this thing at a run and hope I don't slip back down" and "Uh oh do I really have to go down this thing?" attitude. I should have done it ages ago!

They both manage the ramp great. I swapped out the original one for a better one that’s got more steps to grip and has sides. One of them was a bit wary at first but he’s up and down all the time now 😂 I did get a couple of carpet offcuts from a local carpet shop just in case but they don’t seem to have a problem so I’ve not put it on but kept it incase I need it in the future

Your hutch is plenty big enough for 2 pigs. Have you put some carpet on the ramp? I have just done this for my piggies and they go up and down with a sedately walk instead of an "I'll have to think about it and take this thing at a run and hope I don't slip back down" and "Uh oh do I really have to go down this thing?" attitude. I should have done it ages ago!

I also had a similar problem with the fence. However it was necessary to make it not so that the pigs would not run away, but so that my favorite shepherd would not run to them. :D

Back