• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Dealing With Messy Hay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm a new guinea pig owner having adopted from a rescue centre.

I'm hoping to gain some valuable input from more experienced owners on how you deal with the mess caused by hay.
It's everywhere!

We have fairly big bails which we've kept in large plastic storage containers. However the transfer between the box and the guinea pig cage seems to resort in stray hay escaping which quickly finds its way trodden throughout the house.

Anyone have any hints or tips about keeping the hay mess to a minimum?
I'm not really sure if this will help but my boys have their hay on two trays - but i must say i am always finding stray bits of hay on the carpets etc. when i had house buns i kept their hay in a blanket box and took a carrier in there and dicanted the hay into a bag to carry through .

Hi all,
I'm a new guinea pig owner having adopted from a rescue centre.

I'm hoping to gain some valuable input from more experienced owners on how you deal with the mess caused by hay.
It's everywhere!

We have fairly big bails which we've kept in large plastic storage containers. However the transfer between the box and the guinea pig cage seems to resort in stray hay escaping which quickly finds its way trodden throughout the house.

Anyone have any hints or tips about keeping the hay mess to a minimum?
I'm not really sure if this will help but my boys have their hay on two trays - but i must say i am always finding stray bits of hay on the carpets etc. when i had house buns i kept their hay in a blanket box and took a carrier in there and dicanted the hay into a bag to carry through .

Oh hay such a glorious substance! My OH has OCD so the room gets hoovered everyday behind the cage, entire floor and in the process I get hoovered too. I'm always covered... feet, jeans, tops. Even found some in my hair sometimes. It's doesn't bother me having it everywhere but I do love a bit of organised chaos.

I have hay right through my house even though it goes straight into the guinea pig room when I buy it. .the rats kick bedding out of the cage too. My late husband said it was like living in a farm.Dog hairs everywhere as well as have two dogs. Somehow bedding and hay ends up all over their blankets as well.

My husband hates the hay everywhere! Having said that it does stay upstairs. He knew this when I got my piggies though (that's my excuse anyway hehe)

Bit of an update - The Ikea bag seems to be working really well. I hook it right under his hay rack and it catches all of the stray bits from the transfer.
So big thanks to Kit06 for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back