• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental work

I feel really bad begrudging them a holiday, as they both work so very hard, but it is difficult when you have piggies, who desperately need them. I do get to spend time with their pets though, when they're away, as I'm their petsitter!
I've always wondered if they have pets! They're so good with animals I couldn't imagine them not!

Aw, he’s such a cutie x I found grass the best thing for Ted. That funny mouthing thing you mentioned? Ted used to do that, I think it’s when they are trying to position food in their mouths? I used to roll up dandelion leaves too a bit like a cigar! He also managed to eat beetroot sticks out of the Bristol Salad bags. oh the things we doo for piggies 😆

I know most of my family and friends think I am bonkers! Don’t care, a least I have a clean conscience x

Aw, he’s such a cutie x I found grass the best thing for Ted. That funny mouthing thing you mentioned? Ted used to do that, I think it’s when they are trying to position food in their mouths? I used to roll up dandelion leaves too a bit like a cigar! He also managed to eat beetroot sticks out of the Bristol Salad bags. oh the things we doo for piggies 😆

I know most of my family and friends think I am bonkers! Don’t care, a least I have a clean conscience x
So true! I've been grating, chopping, dicing and all sorts just for little rollie to eat something... Especially after his front teeth were cut so short.

So it that mouthing thing repositioning? He just looks so pained when he does it. I'm going to keep rollie on grass for a bit as he's rubbish with hay (even readigrass!)

So true! I've been grating, chopping, dicing and all sorts just for little rollie to eat something... Especially after his front teeth were cut so short.

So it that mouthing thing repositioning? He just looks so pained when he does it. I'm going to keep rollie on grass for a bit as he's rubbish with hay (even readigrass!)
Grass is the best thing to feed. It’s perfect for teeth, as it’s very abrasive, so just as good as hay xx

Thanks for that. I'm trying to get him to eat it more. My only concern is bloat. Any advise?
Only had a bit of bloat once after Ted had that GA dental, (about 24 hours after) his tummy went really bloated, but not caused by grass. I just kept rub his tummy and lots of little smelly trumps came out of him! Haha
Grass is great, that’s why I try to get them out in their run as much a possible, but you can hand pick it too for Rollie, Simon said it was the best possible thing for teeth as well as hay. Of course lack of hay eating is the first sign of things going down hill dental wise, so grass really helps. You just need to try a small bit, if ok, try a little bit more etc. Mine a totally tolerant to grass.

Only had a bit of bloat once after Ted had that GA dental, (about 24 hours after) his tummy went really bloated, but not caused by grass. I just kept rub his tummy and lots of little smelly trumps came out of him! Haha
Grass is great, that’s why I try to get them out in their run as much a possible, but you can hand pick it too for Rollie, Simon said it was the best possible thing for teeth as well as hay. Of course lack of hay eating is the first sign of things going down hill dental wise, so grass really helps. You just need to try a small bit, if ok, try a little bit more etc. Mine a totally tolerant to grass.
Thanks, that's really helpful. Last time Simon gave us zantac for when he started eating again.

Rollie has never been a big hay eater. I think I will up his grass and maybe give a pre-biotic if need be.

Thanks for that. I'm trying to get him to eat it more. My only concern is bloat. Any advise?
Just introduce it slowly, as you would any diet change. Simon was saying that piggies should be eating much more grass. It’s far more natural and it’s what they’re supposed to eat.

Just introduce it slowly, as you would any diet change. Simon was saying that piggies should be eating much more grass. It’s far more natural and it’s what they’re supposed to eat.
Makes sense. I feel bad because mine are indoor pigs as we have no designated garden. We grow grass in a tray for them but doubt it's enough really.

Where abouts are you based? Is jess closer to you than Simon? We are in Newbury, West Berkshire. Luckily the boys are used to travel (we take them to Lincolnshire for their weekends away!)

Please let me know how you get on with Jess. I hope she can help out. If she's had experience with Simon I'm sure she'll be great.
I’m not far from you in Marlborough.
I’ve been really happy with the Drove Vets here - linked to a vet hospital on the edge of Swindon.
I have never needed dental work so I have no idea how good they are with that.

We are driving up to North Yorkshire next week to see family, then have the appointment on the way home, it saves us having to book a night in a hotel! A long drive for them but it’s all we can do really. I am going to see Jess in Brixham for Bill’s incisor burr as he broke one incisor last year and now it grows strange and “fat” which is a pain. Not been to her, but would like to give her a go.
I’m heading to Yorkshire next week too.
East Yorkshire though, lovely part of the country

I’m not far from you in Marlborough.
I’ve been really happy with the Drove Vets here - linked to a vet hospital on the edge of Swindon.
I have never needed dental work so I have no idea how good they are with that.
Thank you, that's good to know. Simon is so good with dental work, I'm reticent about going and seeing anyone else. It will be a long 12 days, that's for sure.

As an aside to the dental issue - as you are within reach of Salisbury we are planning a meet in June.
So long as you’re over 18 it would be lovely to meet you there.
We gather for lunch and talk piggies and other things too.
Watch out for a Salisbury Meet thread

As an aside to the dental issue - as you are within reach of Salisbury we are planning a meet in June.
So long as you’re over 18 it would be lovely to meet you there.
We gather for lunch and talk piggies and other things too.
Watch out for a Salisbury Meet thread
That would be lovely. Guinea pig owners are a special kind of breed!

I’m heading to Yorkshire next week too.
East Yorkshire though, lovely part of the country
Aw, hope you have a lovely time. We have some old boating friends who live on the front at Marine Drive in Bridlington. I love Flamborough, there’s a great little pub there that does really good Sunday Lunches too. We are visiting family and friends around Skipton, Harrogate, Knaresborough and Leeds. Then down to see Simon and back home.

Aw, hope you have a lovely time. We have some old boating friends who live on the front at Marine Drive in Bridlington. I love Flamborough, there’s a great little pub there that does really good Sunday Lunches too. We are visiting family and friends around Skipton, Harrogate, Knaresborough and Leeds. Then down to see Simon and back home.
Hope you have a great time.
We lived just outside Leeds before moving to Marlborough

May be too early to say but Rollie seems to be having a bad day today. He's doing that nothing thing a lot and has no interest in anything. Yesterday he was taking syringes happily. Today will be more of a fight. I really wish every vet was a "Simon".....

Back