• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental work

nedajaffa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

Usually see Simon in Northampton but he's on holiday at the moment. Anyone know of any cavy savvy vets that can help out with my dental Guinea pig? Got an appointment with Simon when he returns but that is a long week away!

If you can keep him going until Simon's back, then I would do that! When Simon was away for 6 weeks, many years ago and I had to take dental pigs elsewhere, they all ended up with abscesses and we never got them back to where they were.

If you can keep him going until Simon's back, then I would do that! When Simon was away for 6 weeks, many years ago and I had to take dental pigs elsewhere, they all ended up with abscesses and we never got them back to where they were.
That's a concern. I think I'll need to try and get some more metacam from our local vet as all but gone (the timing is amazing!) but really don't trust anyone else! Not sure how much has grown back this time but it's definitely enough that it's preventing him from eating. So sad that other vets don't have the same knowledge and skill as Simon (and Kim). It makes me so sad.

Went to our vet this morning. They were very sensible and said everything I hoped they would. They didn't want to do anything that would jeopardise Simon's treatment plan. Given pain medication and advised the continuation of our current care. Just hoping that with pain relief he'll start eating more himself. Is that possible?

What a time you’re having.
Glad you got some more Metacam.

When Jemimah had surgery last year she started to perk up and begin eating for herself when we got the pain meds right.
Don’t know if that helps

There is a lovely vet called Jess in Brixham in Devon who has been taught by Simon to do conscious dentals but I know it’s a long way from you. Here’s the link for anyone who might live nearer and got dental piggies, she’s very good with guinea pigs and has done dentals with GA and conscious on a couple of the forum members piggies

We care for pets in Brixham | Dart Vale Veterinary Group

What a time you’re having.
Glad you got some more Metacam.

When Jemimah had surgery last year she started to perk up and begin eating for herself when we got the pain meds right.
Don’t know if that helps
Thanks, and great name! We're such slaves to these delightful balls of fur!

Dental issues for poor rollie have been going on for a couple of months. In February he went under GA and had all his teeth clipped. The front were over 1cm too short and he was really struggling. (there was nothing wrong with his front!) Had so much support from people on these forums! We went to Simon who, like some Guinea pig Jesus, worked unbelievable magic on him, finding two needle like spurs that had previously gone undetected. Since then, he's seen him every 3 wks or so. The poor man goes on a well deserved holiday and it all rears his head again! Our own vets are great at the general stuff but Simon is the only person I'd feel comfortable doing anything dental on either of our boys!

The metacam injection seems to have helped rollie. He's polished off the core of a little gem! Fingers crossed!

Hopefully the metacam will help. We too are counting down the days (or shoukd that be hours) untl Simon and Kim are back xx
Shall we welcome them back at the surgery with a placard? I can make a cake! I quite literally can not wait until they're back! I remember you mentioning he was away and I made an audible gulp!

There is a lovely vet called Jess in Brixham in Devon who has been taught by Simon to do conscious dentals but I know it’s a long way from you. Here’s the link for anyone who might live nearer and got dental piggies, she’s very good with guinea pigs and has done dentals with GA and conscious on a couple of the forum members piggies

We care for pets in Brixham | Dart Vale Veterinary Group
Thanks so much for that info. It is quite far but to be honest, I'd do it if Rollie needed it!

Thanks, and great name! We're such slaves to these delightful balls of fur!

Dental issues for poor rollie have been going on for a couple of months. In February he went under GA and had all his teeth clipped. The front were over 1cm too short and he was really struggling. (there was nothing wrong with his front!) Had so much support from people on these forums! We went to Simon who, like some Guinea pig Jesus, worked unbelievable magic on him, finding two needle like spurs that had previously gone undetected. Since then, he's seen him every 3 wks or so. The poor man goes on a well deserved holiday and it all rears his head again! Our own vets are great at the general stuff but Simon is the only person I'd feel comfortable doing anything dental on either of our boys!

The metacam injection seems to have helped rollie. He's polished off the core of a little gem! Fingers crossed!
This sounds exactly like what happen to our Ted, he had a GA dental in June last year as he seemed to be chocking on food and loosing weight. They cut his incisors so short he could not pick up food at all and did not sort the spur that was on one pre molar (he has a strange split or peg tooth), so had to syringe feed him for ages and was still loosing weight. He just gave up trying to eat and was really low. Got him to Simons and he was eating hay within 10 minutes after conscious dental, amazing!

This sounds exactly like what happen to our Ted, he had a GA dental in June last year as he seemed to be chocking on food and loosing weight. They cut his incisors so short he could not pick up food at all and did not sort the spur that was on one pre molar (he has a strange split or peg tooth), so had to syringe feed him for ages and was still loosing weight. He just gave up trying to eat and was really low. Got him to Simons and he was eating hay within 10 minutes after conscious dental, amazing!
That was our situation too! I was in tears as I honestly thought he was our last and only chance! Rollie had lost so much weight and was refusing syringe feeding. Simon takes him "backstage", comes back and he's eating kale! That man has my eternal gratitude and respect.

We are driving up to North Yorkshire next week to see family, then have the appointment on the way home, it saves us having to book a night in a hotel! A long drive for them but it’s all we can do really. I am going to see Jess in Brixham for Bill’s incisor burr as he broke one incisor last year and now it grows strange and “fat” which is a pain. Not been to her, but would like to give her a go.

We are driving up to North Yorkshire next week to see family, then have the appointment on the way home, it saves us having to book a night in a hotel! A long drive for them but it’s all we can do really. I am going to see Jess in Brixham for Bill’s incisor burr as he broke one incisor last year and now it grows strange and “fat” which is a pain. Not been to her, but would like to give her a go.
Where abouts are you based? Is jess closer to you than Simon? We are in Newbury, West Berkshire. Luckily the boys are used to travel (we take them to Lincolnshire for their weekends away!)

Please let me know how you get on with Jess. I hope she can help out. If she's had experience with Simon I'm sure she'll be great.

We live in West Cornwall so it’s a lot nearer to Jess in Devon, it’s about 110 miles. Whereas Simon is 290 miles, so a big difference apart from we would go to Jess in a single day. We usually stay overnight in Northampton on the way up or call in on the way back home from a North Yorkshire.

A long way but little choice really x Ted has a visit every 2-3 months, and Bill has an incisor burr at the same time, then Bill’s has a quick tidy up in between at a vet in Newquay but she has only done it once and didn’t really take enough off so might try Jess instead next time, it’s so nice to see them eating properly, worth it x

We live in West Cornwall so it’s a lot nearer to Jess in Devon, it’s about 110 miles. Whereas Simon is 290 miles, so a big difference apart from we would go to Jess in a single day. We usually stay overnight in Northampton on the way up or call in on the way back home from a North Yorkshire.

A long way but little choice really x Ted has a visit every 2-3 months, and Bill has an incisor burr at the same time, then Bill’s has a quick tidy up in between at a vet in Newquay but she has only done it once and didn’t really take enough off so might try Jess instead next time, it’s so nice to see them eating properly, worth it x
It's weird because if you said to anyone else that you'd travel that far for a vet they'd think you were mad! But any other Guinea pig owner who's had a Guinea with dental problems understands. There are so few vets who really understand dental that you just do what you have to do. When you see them eat for the first time it makes up for everything!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you with jess. When's your appointment? Sending positive vibes to Bill and Ted. Hoping the pain medication (and cc) for Rollie will be enough for the next 12 days, if not, I might be making my own West Country (excellent) adventure!

Thanks we have an appointment with Simon on 24th April. It’s funny, I now plan all the holidays around visiting Simon. Just a shame that they are both off at the same time, but they both deserve a holiday with their children. We don’t have an appointment with Jess yet but I suspect Bill will need an incisor burr around June, so will book an appointment nearer the time. Might even try and get a weekend break away in Devon at the same time with the boys.
Hope little Rollie can cope before his appointment, when are you there?

We have an appointment on Thursday 25th. It seems a very very long way away! I feel so sorry for them. Everyone deserves a holiday, especially them!

Rollie is doing that weird mouthing thing, which I hope is "just" pain. Hopefully metacam will help with that.

Back