• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental work

Another 26mls now thanks to my other half helping with the feed. That's 57mls so far today. He's gone back to taking them very well again. Thinking the metacam is working now. Still very quiet when he's in his cage mostly sat in his hay box.

Another 26mls now thanks to my other half helping with the feed. That's 57mls so far today. He's gone back to taking them very well again. Thinking the metacam is working now. Still very quiet when he's in his cage mostly sat in his hay box.
That’s good he is taking the mush x Metacam, it’s great stuff, just a shame that most vets don’t give it in effective quantities, as it can really help with pain x

That’s good he is taking the mush x Metacam, it’s great stuff, just a shame that most vets don’t give it in effective quantities, as it can really help with pain x
I think this was part of the problem. The vet who prescribed it insists on using the weight based syringe. When I approximated it to ml it was 0.15ml. Thinking back (which I struggled to remember with all this going on) Simon had said a quarter of 1ml twice a day. Now I've upped the dose again, he's taking syringes so much better.

Aw, that’s good, a proper dose makes such a difference. I know when Ted had a large swollen growth in his ear I gave him .25ml x 2 on the Sunday (I noticed it on the Saturday evening) so we got an appointment on the Monday morning. I was told off for over medicating him (quite nicely though) but I explained that was what I had been prescribed by Simon for his teeth so was quite safe for him!

When I had sick piggies last year I made up some critical care in a ramekin dish which I put into the cage.
This helped them to start eating by themselves again

When I had sick piggies last year I made up some critical care in a ramekin dish which I put into the cage.
This helped them to start eating by themselves again
I've got a fozzy who loves this idea! Made a little dish and he bumbled right over to it. Love Guinea pigs!

So he's had his second dose of metacam and a grand total of 81mls of cc today... Thanks all for your support along the way!

So glad things are looking up.
Fingers crossed! Remembering that when all this kicked off in February we were trying to syringe feed him without proper dosing. It was only after visiting Simon that he upped the metacam to 0.25 twice daily. No wonder the poor little soul was in so much trouble. His weight is 1232g which is a little up from yesterday's 1227g.

I'm thinking rollie will need something before our appointment with Simon. The metacam is keeping the worst at bay but I'm worried about next week when we're both at work. Any one else that could be able to do anything for rollie? Jess from brixham is also on holiday this week. I'm so worried about someone else mucking it all up and making the situation even worse and him ending up with abscesses and god knows what! The last thing I want to do it make the situation worse but at the same time, 10 more days seems like an impossible time for him. He's just so glum. I've really wanted to stay away from dental under GA because of last time. What are people's thoughts?

When is your appointment? Simon is back in work on Tuesday. It may be worth ringing Cat and Rabbit Clinic and asking if there is any chance of him being seen a bit sooner.
Our appointment was Friday. We rang up and emailed to ask exactly that same thing. The soonish they could do was Thursday. Now got the Thursday appointment. X

What time are you there on Thursday? Could you get there on Tuesday, if an appointment was made available?
We've got an appointment at 5:50 on Thursday. There was one with Kim earlier on (late morning) but felt it was worth waiting for Simon (oh, the irony!) Tuesday would be tricky as will be at work and can't guarantee being able to get out in time. On Thursday I knew I could wrangle an early leave.

Back