• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Disabled Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianna Lupton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two Guinea pigs and one of them is sweet as can be and doesn't mind being held or pet. Now my other Guinea pig I just rescued about a week ago. I rescued him because he had a severe ear infection that caused a permanent head tilt and a little brain damage. He was going to be euthanized and I couldn't let that happen. He is deathly terrified of being held or pet. He does not like to be out of his cage. Every time I pet him he shakes and when I pick him up he squirms around squealing. I would like to know if there is anything I can do for him to be more comfortable with me. I don't know if it's because he has special needs or just his personality.

Vicki has given you some excellent links....

Your poor wee guy has had a lot to contend with and may take longer than the average piggy to settle. Some of the tips in the 'how to pick up my guinea pig' link will hopefully help him feel more secure when you do need to pick him up. It's possible that his ear infection/head tilt mean he either has sensory issues or gets more easily disorientated than a normal piggy (the inner ear is part of your balance mechanisms) which will make him more likely to panic when touched or handled.

It's also worth remembering that not all piggies like to be held or cuddled and sometimes it's just not their thing and interacting with them is more on their terms..... My Angus is 5 and very well handled but still isn't keen on sitting on my lap or being held, he'd rather sit next to me and come to me when he feels like it. Some of my other boys are very relaxed being handled.

For your chap it could well be a mix of things causing his fear but be patient and spend time with him anyway, just sit by his cage talking quietly to him so he gets used to your sound and smell. Tempt him to come up to you with his favourite veg and just take your time with him. Gaining the trust of a guinea pig who has had a tough start takes time, love and patience and needs to be at their pace, not ours.

Good luck though. He is a very lucky boy to have found someone who cares so much for him!

He has no issues coming to me for veggies. He LOVES food. He will eat anything I let him. I just want him to live a good life and know he is loved. I guess it may take more time since he's a big special. You can see his head tilt in my avatar picture. He is just the cutest little guy ever. I now have him in a c&c cage with a divider separating him from my other piggy and he seems to be very intrigued with my other pig. He wants to smell him and talk to him. It's adorable hearing them talk to each other. I'm hoping this will help him feel more at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back