• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do you have a vet fund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering how many people think a vet fund is necessary and how many people have one?

The reason for this I decided to add up my vet bills in the last year not including medicines and I have spent in the region of £500. Now I have 7 pigs, but I haven't always.

When Bette was ill, from noticing she was unwell and having her pts I spent roughly £300 on her alone, not too mention getting to the vet.

The new vet I have started using with Bette is quite a while away. To get there I have to get a bus (free zone card), £6 return train ticket and £10 taxi fare. Obviously in an emergency I will need to be prepared to get a taxi to the vets if need be so have decided to start budgeting for that too.

I guess in my eyes, guinea pigs aren't cheap pets and you have to be prepared for expenses. When they become ill their medical costs really do add up.

you can insure them but it really doesn't seem worth it, I don't have a fund but i should really i guess tho if it was an emergency i could get it of my OH I would have to pay it back tho as he runs a catalogue and it is always slightly ahead so i would have to cover it

Within the first week of owning my boys I spent £90 on vets bills: six vet visit and medication eyes drops Baytril, poor Artie was in a sorry state, thankfully i keep a vet fund for my dog (and now piggies) I aim to put away £2 a week, sometimes I put away more, and it's there for whenever my little un's need it :) I wish there was insurance for piggies!

No I don't have a fund but I will in the future when we have money to spare. Mind you I am really glad that the cats are insured after Angus had his accident.

yes, they do add up, i've lost count of how much we've spent in the last year, i would say about 300ish too, with Nacho's lump removal etc. Thats just on the guineas, we've also had trips for the rats and hamster. Luckily the last 6 months has been relatively trouble free, but we've got Roo rabbits injections, one is tomorrow and then i am considering having her spayed, also Happy is nearly 10cm long, which means she needs microchipping.

I have Roo insured, but insurance for 9 piggies would be ridiculously high. I generally just pay when i go, although my vets do allow me to pay for a large bill over 2 months.

I think it would probably help to put a few pounds in a jar every week, but i end up spending it anyway :))

No I don't have a fund but I will in the future when we have money to spare. Mind you I am really glad that the cats are insured after Angus had his accident.

Thats the good thing about Cat insurance, I imagine Angus cost a fair penny. I don't even think my vet fund would have covered Angus! xx

I do not have a vet fund as such but every month on payday I always transfer £50 into my ISA account. I keep it as emergency money for things such as vet bills or if we need anything for the house. I dread the day the washing machine, fridge or something like that stops working so it's nice just to have some backup money in case we need it.

Although we were naughty with this years savings and booked us onto a Cruise for next summer lol. So now my emergency fund only has £100 in it. x

i have a vet fund, i pay 30 a month into an account, when my two boys were ill in the summer they wiped it out, then my dog needed stitches on a wound a few weeks back and that took what i had saved since the pigs died!:{

Now my other half is working, i am going to try and put 60 away each month, but after he has passed his first 3 months i intend to get insurance for the pooches...piggy insurance is very expensive and i have only found one company that do it, so i will just keep saving the pennies for them.

:))

It really is a good idea in the long run,
I spent €50 on antibiotics for a ten week old little girl that had ringworm. i only needed like a quarter of the bottle and the next time one of my guinea pigs got a fungal infection i used gorgeous guineas anti fungal shampoo and the melts and it worked great! and for less than €10 a pig

Definitely. I have a bank account just for the pigs. A current account, not a savings, so I have a chequebook and debit card for it.

Vets bills for me this year, I will add it up, but it is drastically cheaper for me with access to the CCT.

Definitely. I have a bank account just for the pigs. A current account, not a savings, so I have a chequebook and debit card for it.

Vets bills for me this year, I will add it up, but it is drastically cheaper for me with access to the CCT.

I imagine it will be, but I would rather pay more and go to a good vet, than a not so good vet. Being in Scotland we don't have your option. :).

No but I do for my rabbits. I'm 14 and do a paper round. £14 a week. :) I usually put £10 into it and £4 for me but around Christmas it's the other way round because of all the presents I have to buy! :)) I have 4 rabbits and before I got them I promised my parents I would look after them and be responsible. On the other hand, I was 9 when I got Fudge and Rainbow so my parents have always paid for vet bills. :) I really appreciate how much they have done for my piggies over the years. :)

No but I do for my rabbits. I'm 14 and do a paper round. £14 a week. :) I usually put £10 into it and £4 for me but around Christmas it's the other way round because of all the presents I have to buy! :)) I have 4 rabbits and before I got them I promised my parents I would look after them and be responsible. On the other hand, I was 9 when I got Fudge and Rainbow so my parents have always paid for vet bills. :) I really appreciate how much they have done for my piggies over the years. :)

aww bless you, what a star you are x

I don't have a vet fund, but it's a very good idea and something I think I'll start in the New Year. We got hit doubly earlier this year with both Boris having an abscess and Pippa a cyst at the same time, and about three weeks before Willow had a poorly eye and a month or two later, my brother's baby pig had an abcsess on his face (which I ended up forking out for too..) :{

Touch wood and finger's crossed for a healthy 2011, although that said I think Murdock the cat will have to have some teeth out early in the New Year, we had a quote in November at a cost of about £300... He isn't insured... Ah well, easy come, easy go!

i would still rather be with my babies than without....id starve for a fortnight to get help to make them better, i dont know anyone that wouldnt....

Thats the good thing about Cat insurance, I imagine Angus cost a fair penny. I don't even think my vet fund would have covered Angus! xx

It will be a considerable sum when it is all done, currently sitting at £600 ish I think with another operation due in a few weeks :...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back