Does Anyone Feed Their Cat Fresh Cooked Meat Rather Then Pouches?

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys :)
Looking into feeding my two cats fresh cooked meat each day along side dry food.

They've both been quite poor recently with bladder infections, poorly tummy and bad skin from an bad allergy to flea bites,
Various vet visits to rule out anything sinister and taking them both off wet cat food seems to have sorted out the tummy issues,

So we had to take them off wet cat food because every time they ate it they would throw up for days, after taking them off it completely they have stopped throwing up.
It's been a few months now since they have been off wet food completely and we've been giving them cooked chicken and fish a few times a week but I'm not sure what's ok for them to eat, I know they can't have pork and my cats don't like beef,

Now I'm looking into feeding them cooked meat each day to get their weight back to a healthy range as Koda our male is still too thin for my liking :(

Does anyone here feed their cats fresh cooked meat each day?
If so what kinds of things do you give them?

Nature's Menu has a great raw range which is fab for cats as well as dogs :) Here's their website:
Raw Dog Food & Natural Cat Food - Natures Menu

The good thing about it is, because it's designed for animals it contains all the ground bone, tendon etc which they'd have in the wild!

If you feed pure meat/raw as well as dry, make sure to feed them in separate meals rather than mixed together as they have different digestion times :)

My girl is a slave to Sheba and wants nothing else! Raw food is amazing though- especially for cats and their sensitivities

What kind of foods have they been having? Anything heavily grain and/or wheat based is very likely to make cats sick (eg. Iams, Royal Canin, Science Plan, Whiskas, Felix etc). Had the same with my girl for several years and now she's perfect on a grain free diet :)

As mentioned above Natures Menu do cat raw food which would be a better bet than supermarket meats. And yes you have to be careful feeding raw and biscuits (especially if it's grain based) due to digestion and bloat etc.

Otherwise there are some fab grain free cat foods like Canagan which are amazing.

Hi guys :)
Looking into feeding my two cats fresh cooked meat each day along side dry food.

They've both been quite poor recently with bladder infections, poorly tummy and bad skin from an bad allergy to flea bites,
Various vet visits to rule out anything sinister and taking them both off wet cat food seems to have sorted out the tummy issues,

So we had to take them off wet cat food because every time they ate it they would throw up for days, after taking them off it completely they have stopped throwing up.
It's been a few months now since they have been off wet food completely and we've been giving them cooked chicken and fish a few times a week but I'm not sure what's ok for them to eat, I know they can't have pork and my cats don't like beef,

Now I'm looking into feeding them cooked meat each day to get their weight back to a healthy range as Koda our male is still too thin for my liking :(

Does anyone here feed their cats fresh cooked meat each day?
If so what kinds of things do you give them?
One of my cats is sick quite often, can tinned meat cause that?

It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would! It's literally just meat (albeit derivatives) and minerals. Here's the beef one as an example:
Meat and Animal Derivatives, (min 49%, Beef min 4%), Minerals.
Trouble is if it's only a minimum of 49% meat/derivatives... what's the rest made up of O.o
Derivatives are partly carcass waste which isn't very digestible as a protein source though :/ But as a bonus, it's gluten free :)

There are a lot of vets who suggest a diet based on "wet" food (I don't know the english name) avoiding dry pellets. Here in my building there live cats and many families who own their cat; some of them with this diet solved all the usual kidney troubles (and obesity).
I have had at home, as a special guest, a kitten (belonged to a friend) who follows a natural diet, but not the one with raw food; the cat just got used to eat normal meat normally cooked. This kitten is now an adult female cat and her health is strong.
Also my grandmother long ago used to have many cats and she never feeded them with dry food; only meat cooked and sometimes raw.
Anyway, be aware: the good meat for us (with no fat and no bones) is NOT good for them. They NEED bones, fat, nerves and also the inner parts we usually don't eat. Online you will find a lot of good vet websites which will explain you everything.
I want to share with you the pictures of these cats eating normal meat (plus some supplement of taurin). This below is Zeffirino (a name of a Pope!:))) stealing my daughter's lunch. He had a kidney disease, skin issues and stopped being ill with a different diet:
100_1423.webp
Then there is Eusebio, another rescue cat... when he was ill and underweight
100_6490.webp
and after some months with a new diet
100_6654.webp
below there is Ombra, my friend's cat, fed with meat and cat meat (no dry and no rice/cereals) since the beginning.
All these cats spent some period with me for different reasons...
101_5579.webp
101_5845.webp
all these cats are neutered.

The trouble with meat and animal derivatives is that it could be anything and it will vary batch per batch.

It's likely to be an allergy so if you switch to something with just one meat source and named ingredients you can start to eliminate causes.

Do you use any biscuits or is it just wet food?

Raw is so much better, I feed my dog raw and I would never go back to feeding them anything out of a tin unless it was unavoidable. All tinned food (dog or cat) is mostly Cereals with bits of the rubbish meat thrown in. As a pup mine used to enjoy bones but they made him sick, so we stopped giving him bone and he's never been sick since. Bone marrow is OK though. Here's a list of stuff my George likes, you can try a few things.

Chicken, Pork, Beef, Turkey (various cuts)
Beef/Chicken hearts
Sardines/Tuna
Raw eggs (raised on raw meat the salmonella risk is low)
Ostrich and Kangaroo
Black Pudding (dried out pigs blood)
Chicken feet
Rabbit ears
Bone with exposed marrow

He also likes carrots, but cats should have a mostly meat based diet as their stomachs and needs are different to dogs

Raw is so much better, I feed my dog raw and I would never go back to feeding them anything out of a tin unless it was unavoidable. All tinned food (dog or cat) is mostly Cereals with bits of the rubbish meat thrown in.

Not all tinned or biscuit food is full of cereals, loads of grain free goodness about now ;)

Raw's worth a go but it's remarkably hard to get cats onto raw, providing it agrees with them too.

Raw is so much better, I feed my dog raw and I would never go back to feeding them anything out of a tin unless it was unavoidable. All tinned food (dog or cat) is mostly Cereals with bits of the rubbish meat thrown in. As a pup mine used to enjoy bones but they made him sick, so we stopped giving him bone and he's never been sick since. Bone marrow is OK though. Here's a list of stuff my George likes, you can try a few things.

Chicken, Pork, Beef, Turkey (various cuts)
Beef/Chicken hearts
Sardines/Tuna
Raw eggs (raised on raw meat the salmonella risk is low)
Ostrich and Kangaroo
Black Pudding (dried out pigs blood)
Chicken feet
Rabbit ears
Bone with exposed marrow

He also likes carrots, but cats should have a mostly meat based diet as their stomachs and needs are different to dogs
I totally agree with you. If I had a cat or a dog I would learn everything about this raw diet. I have never known my grand-grand-mother's cat who has lived without any vet (long ago) for 14 years, eating only mice and eggs (also raw eggs because the cat used to steal eggs from the henhouse...
Nowadays I see a lot of old cats and dogs, but they are obese, with kidney issues and often to the vet. They look like geriatric patients, not like cats... And at the petsores there are too many shelves showing "special" foods for cats/dogs with urinary diseases... a great business.
Here in Rome there is a quite famous vet who is giving troubles in his ambient... he is pro-rawdiet (BARF diet) and his pets are recovering from chronic diseases, after long and expensive traditional treatments in famous pet clinics.

The trouble with meat and animal derivatives is that it could be anything and it will vary batch per batch.

It's likely to be an allergy so if you switch to something with just one meat source and named ingredients you can start to eliminate causes.

Do you use any biscuits or is it just wet food?

Is this directed to me or Gem789? :)

I do use Iams dry food at the moment because I'm worried about my cats not getting enough food on a purely cooked food diet,
But I've been looking into making my own dry food or buying a specially made cat dry food that's made by someone who helps with allergies and such,

I rememeber reading a while ago that cat dry food and wet food has all sorts of awful stuff in it which can contrabute to making cats sick,
And also stuff like wheat allergies are something to think about,
But koda hasn't always been poorly and he's been on dry food since the start,

At the moment I'm giving a few different meats on different days,
With dry food available constantly,

He had put a good amount of weight back on but his skin is still looking dull and itchy,

Is anyone in a good cat forum that they can recommend?
I've been looking round for one?

Just a note about raw, it must be done properly with specially formulated ingredients from a raw food supplier. It shouldn't be done from a butchers or meat from Tescos ESPECIALLY for cats as they will likely die from malnutrition and you need to be so careful with the balance in their food such as taurine and thiamine. Cats have died without thiamine, in the latest AVA Cat Food scandal where they messed up they had to recall the food immediately.

So if raw is for you please look at suppliers like Natures Menu or other raw food sellers and look into it properly. Unfortunately it's the trend to feed dogs meat from the butchers or just bloody chicken wings lol but you'll find in a few years those dogs will have serious and potentially life threatening conditions due to incorrect nutrients.

Is this directed to me or Gem789? :)

I do use Iams dry food at the moment because I'm worried about my cats not getting enough food on a purely cooked food diet,
But I've been looking into making my own dry food or buying a specially made cat dry food that's made by someone who helps with allergies and such,

I rememeber reading a while ago that cat dry food and wet food has all sorts of awful stuff in it which can contrabute to making cats sick,
And also stuff like wheat allergies are something to think about,
But koda hasn't always been poorly and he's been on dry food since the start,

At the moment I'm giving a few different meats on different days,
With dry food available constantly,

He had put a good amount of weight back on but his skin is still looking dull and itchy,

Is anyone in a good cat forum that they can recommend?
I've been looking round for one?

I don't remember if I'm honest! :))

If you're looking for a dry food I cannot recommend Canagan enough, it's grain free and high meat. Go for the salmon flavour, that will give his fur life again and help with skin :)

Unfortunately you can't really make your own cat food because you can't get the nutrients right with is detrimental to their health (thiamine & taurine being two important things).

I would come off of Iams though as depending on the one you're feeding, most of them contain wheat which is certainly no friend to skin of kidneys. It's better than the likes of Whiskas but go grain free, it's worth it for sure :)

Meats again check the label for wheat and cereals, most of them are packed full of sugar too. Unfortunately it's a mine field out there! :))

I don't know of a cat forum unfortunately.

The only time Koda has had raw meat was once when he stole some chicken I'd left to defrost after opening the kitchen door, the naughty boy! I don't think he liked it very much because there were a few chunks missing and that's it! :)

Ill have a look at your suggested dry food, although i doubt its available at Asda :/ Maybe i can find it online or at Pets@Home :)

I'd noticed there was a lot of talk about thiamine & taurine when i'd looked it up online :/

When i looked for cat forums online the first to come up is petforums.co.uk
Which seems to have sections for different animals?
And Catchat
Ill have a poke around see what looks promising :)

The only time Koda has had raw meat was once when he stole some chicken I'd left to defrost after opening the kitchen door, the naughty boy! I don't think he liked it very much because there were a few chunks missing and that's it! :)

Ill have a look at your suggested dry food, although i doubt its available at Asda :/ Maybe i can find it online or at Pets@Home :)

I'd noticed there was a lot of talk about thiamine & taurine when i'd looked it up online :/

When i looked for cat forums online the first to come up is petforums.co.uk
Which seems to have sections for different animals?
And Catchat
Ill have a poke around see what looks promising :)

Haha cheeky boy! :))

Canagan isn't available at Asda or P@H (they won't sell through people who aren't nutrition trained or have the same ethics as them). You can find it via their website or through Pets Corner, either way I think it's the same price. It looks expensive but it lasts forever, they don't need as much so a 4kg bag lasts me about 8-9 months for me!

This is the only forum I bother with now so I'm not sure about others, most aren't active sadly.

Haha cheeky boy! :))

Canagan isn't available at Asda or P@H (they won't sell through people who aren't nutrition trained or have the same ethics as them). You can find it via their website or through Pets Corner, either way I think it's the same price. It looks expensive but it lasts forever, they don't need as much so a 4kg bag lasts me about 8-9 months for me!

This is the only forum I bother with now so I'm not sure about others, most aren't active sadly.

Yes I'd noticed that my hamster forum hardly ever has people posting on
The top posts can stay there for a week easily!

I'll have a look for it! :)

Yes I'd noticed that my hamster forum hardly ever has people posting on
The top posts can stay there for a week easily!

I'll have a look for it! :)

Yea it's really sad, I joined a snail forum as no one really cares for snails but hardly anyone posts or replies.

I get far more help here, even for my other animals! :D

Back