• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Does my pig have a URI ?

ariannaaa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
About six months ago I got my second guinea pig, Coco. She had ringworm from a petstore and I treated her. About a month ago I was on vacation and a family member sent me a video, she was making an odd sound and I was very worried. It sounded similar to a wheeze, which I heard again when I got back. I looked into it and it seems to be when they need to sneeze. She sometimes sneezes a few times a day, I hear around 3 sometimes. Is this enough reason to believe she has a URI ? Her friend doesn't sneeze this much at all. She seems perfectly healthy, energetic, she gets excited for food. She chews a little slow but eats her food. I feel as though I would've seen another symptom by now and also there is NO exotic vet 20 miles in my area with availability. Please anyone let me know anything you think. I really don't think there's any smells bothering her, and we use brown paper bedding. Any advice appreciated.

About six months ago I got my second guinea pig, Coco. She had ringworm from a petstore and I treated her. About a month ago I was on vacation and a family member sent me a video, she was making an odd sound and I was very worried. It sounded similar to a wheeze, which I heard again when I got back. I looked into it and it seems to be when they need to sneeze. She sometimes sneezes a few times a day, I hear around 3 sometimes. Is this enough reason to believe she has a URI ? Her friend doesn't sneeze this much at all. She seems perfectly healthy, energetic, she gets excited for food. She chews a little slow but eats her food. I feel as though I would've seen another symptom by now and also there is NO exotic vet 20 miles in my area with availability. Please anyone let me know anything you think. I really don't think there's any smells bothering her, and we use brown paper bedding. Any advice appreciated.

Hi and welcome!

Please see a vet for a proper examination. We cannot tell you sight unseen whether your piggy could have a URI or not.

Because it is a potential killer, URI always needs to be excluded first before you can look at sensitivities to hay dust or other irritants in the environment. Some piggies react much more than others - like humans. True allergies are thankfully rare in guinea pigs.

Here is more information:
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)
Recommended Guinea Pig Vets

Hi,

One of my boys has just recovered from a respiratory illness...he luckily had baytril on repeat due to him having medical issues with his eye...I had noticed him sneezing and a bit of snot...I originally thought it was the hay...so I tried shaking it out before putting it in with him...despite it being dust extracted...he seemed fine...but by the next day he stopped eating completely...I genuinely thought I was going to lose him...I started him on his bayrtil and critical care...its been two weeks now and he is back to his normal self...but if the vet previously hadn't given us baytril to take home I think he would have been gone by time we got a vet...so please if you're not sure take them to the vet...piggies are good at hiding things...and won't show it until sometimes its too late...with piggies its always the just incase rule until you get to know their routine and personality better...

Back