• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dying guinea pig :(

Piggiepops

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. A couple of days ago we noticed that our 6 year old piggy was becoming very lethargic and not eating as she usually would.
Today she has become even more lethargic and is closing her eyes a lot (not sleeping). She’s been alone from about 9am when we all went to work, and I just got back now and she didn’t look well at all, her breathing seems to be a little strange with short sharp breaths, she ate a little bit of food last night and ate a bit of cucumber this morning but couldn’t get through a small piece without closing her eyes.
I think she’s going to pass tonight and I just want to make her comfortable as it’s so warm, I’ve taken her out of the warm hutch and she’s currently under a big leafy weed under a wooden bench on the grass where she seems more comfortable and cooler. (I also thought the grass was a good idea as she can easily eat if she wants to?!). Is this the best place for her or can anyone make any other suggestions. Should I let her (7) friends join her or leave her on her own? :(

So sorry to hear this.
6 is a good age for a piggy.
It sounds as if you are doing a wonderful job in making the end of her life peaceful and comfortable- that’s a precious gift.
I can’t answer the question about her friends but I suggest you go with your own instincts as you know them best.
Holding you in my thoughts

So sorry to hear this.
6 is a good age for a piggy.
It sounds as if you are doing a wonderful job in making the end of her life peaceful and comfortable- that’s a precious gift.
I can’t answer the question about her friends but I suggest you go with your own instincts as you know them best.
Holding you in my thoughts
Thank you, that makes me feel better knowing she’s probably comfortable. She’s nibbling little bits of grass which gives me hope :hug:

I’m very sorry to hear that you’re guinea pig is dying :no:. I would be crying very much. I am going to pray for you and you’re guinea pig. God bless you.

Hi everyone. A couple of days ago we noticed that our 6 year old piggy was becoming very lethargic and not eating as she usually would.
Today she has become even more lethargic and is closing her eyes a lot (not sleeping). She’s been alone from about 9am when we all went to work, and I just got back now and she didn’t look well at all, her breathing seems to be a little strange with short sharp breaths, she ate a little bit of food last night and ate a bit of cucumber this morning but couldn’t get through a small piece without closing her eyes.
I think she’s going to pass tonight and I just want to make her comfortable as it’s so warm, I’ve taken her out of the warm hutch and she’s currently under a big leafy weed under a wooden bench on the grass where she seems more comfortable and cooler. (I also thought the grass was a good idea as she can easily eat if she wants to?!). Is this the best place for her or can anyone make any other suggestions. Should I let her (7) friends join her or leave her on her own? :(

Hi! I am very sorry. Have you seen a vet and supported with syringe feed when she started becoming lethargic? Was it because of the heat/heat stroke?

Yes, please let her friend join her if her friend wants to. I generally put a dying piggy back in the cage and see how the companions react. A very ill piggy will usually remove itself from the group, which is aware of that and has taken its leave; they will most stay away. Some piggies prefer to stay with a companion and watch over them. In this case, they should be part of the saying goodbye.

Please be prepared to rush your girl to the vets for pts/euthanasia at any time if she is in major discomfort as her body is gradually breaking down. Multiple organ failure is a surprisingly physical process and not the kind of gentle slipping away in one's forever sleep. It can come as quite a shock if it is your first time. Especially the last quarter to half hour can lead to fitting when the body is becoming oxygen deprived; thankfully the dying piggy is by then mostly out of it. We call it 'running to the Rainbow Bridge'.
If the discomfort/pain lasts longer or is worse, please seek veterinary out-of-hours care if you can get to it. Be aware that your piggy may slip away the moment you set it down to go for a toilet break; don't try to hold it back with your presence; rather offer it to fly free from your arms. I have made this experience several times; the last time in April when Tesni slipped away as soon as I set her cosy down on a chair in the vet's waiting room.

Here is what you can do for the companion and how you can find help yourself if you need to afterwards. If they are aware of the dying process, they will generally mostly ignore their passed away friend; they have already taken their leave. ;)
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Sorry to hear your piggy is struggling. The heat we've been having lately isn't good for the older and frailer ones. If she's more comfortable in the cool under the bench that's great. (Is she protected from cats etc getting to her though?)
I tend to think that piggies find it comforting to have a friend with them when they are poorly - none of my pigs have been cuddly with each other, but always I have seen that when one was ill/dying, his cagemate would snuggle up to him and groom him. So if your poorly pig has a friend she was particularly close to, i would put her with the poorly one to comfort her. :hug:

Hi! I am very sorry. Have you seen a vet and supported with syringe feed when she started becoming lethargic? Was it because of the heat/heat stroke?

Yes, please let her friend join her if her friend wants to. I generally put a dying piggy back in the cage and see how the companions react. A very ill piggy will usually remove itself from the group, which is aware of that and has taken its leave; they will most stay away. Some piggies prefer to stay with a companion and watch over them. In this case, they should be part of the saying goodbye.

Please be prepared to rush your girl to the vets for pts/euthanasia at any time if she is in major discomfort as her body is gradually breaking down. Multiple organ failure is a surprisingly physical process and not the kind of gentle slipping away in one's forever sleep. It can come as quite a shock if it is your first time. Especially the last quarter to half hour can lead to fitting when the body is becoming oxygen deprived; thankfully the dying piggy is by then mostly out of it. We call it 'running to the Rainbow Bridge'.
If the discomfort/pain lasts longer or is worse, please seek veterinary out-of-hours care if you can get to it. Be aware that your piggy may slip away the moment you set it down to go for a toilet break; don't try to hold it back with your presence; rather offer it to fly free from your arms. I have made this experience several times; the last time in April when Tesni slipped away as soon as I set her cosy down on a chair in the vet's waiting room.

Here is what you can do for the companion and how you can find help yourself if you need to afterwards. If they are aware of the dying process, they will generally mostly ignore their passed away friend; they have already taken their leave. ;)
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Thanks for your help. I was going to take her to the vets but as she was still eating and drinking little amounts, I thought it best not to give her the stress of a car journey and a vet trip :(
She seems peaceful and pain free at the moment but I’m aware that I may need to take her to the vets at some point. Hoping she passes peacefully without the vet trip.

Sorry to hear your piggy is struggling. The heat we've been having lately isn't good for the older and frailer ones. If she's more comfortable in the cool under the bench that's great. (Is she protected from cats etc getting to her though?)
I tend to think that piggies find it comforting to have a friend with them when they are poorly - none of my pigs have been cuddly with each other, but always I have seen that when one was ill/dying, his cagemate would snuggle up to him and groom him. So if your poorly pig has a friend she was particularly close to, i would put her with the poorly one to comfort her. :hug:
Thank you! There’s the metal run around the bench and the conservatory wall at the back so she’s well protected from everything.
I think the heat has made things worse but she’s definitely cooler outside

You are a good person Piggiepops!

I’m very happy to hear that you are taking care of your guinea pig even tho he or she is dying.

You are a good person Piggypops! I’m very happy to hear that you are taking care of your guinea pig even tho he or she is dying.
Aw thank you so much for your lovely message! It’s such a hard time but knowing they’re comfortable makes things a lot easier

Back