• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

End of my tether with messy pig!

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi all,
Try as I might I can’t keep my long haired ronaldo clean! He continues to poo everywhere including in his bed and wee everywhere and he sits it it!
I’ve tried fleece hat chipping a the lot! I’ve settled on puppy pads with a layer of dust free clippings on top as the best option. However, he’s now got poo all stuck in his fur! I’m going to cut him as short as poss today but if anyone has any tips it wud be much appreciated. I don’t like the thought of him getting wet and dirty! 😩

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
I know that feeling! I have a sepcial needs girl who try as I might, I couldn't keep her dry on most bedding. I swapped through loads! But I've been using the white Kaytee clean and cosy paper bedding for a few months now and she's been dry as a bone. It's much more absorbent than most other bedding, it is expensive though, so you could always just put it in high traffic areas like under pigloos or any place they prefer to sleep.
It's done wonders for my Bramble who used to need frequent washes and wipes with a cloth. Trimming the hair will definitely help too!

Lorcan

Adult Guinea Pig
Blitzen used to do this all the time and the little menace refused to let me groom him properly either. When I switched from Carefresh to Megazorb though he became much better, much more dry...and then all I had to worry about was his fur knotting itself instead.

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I would suggest sticking with fleece bedding and making sure his bum, belly and sides are trimmed short. This is what I do with mine.

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
Thanks everyone I’ve had him in the sink tonight tried to cut what I could and washed his back end. I’ve had to put him back as he’s too distressed 😩 need a Guinea pig groomer in liverpool asap x

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Fleece bedding and regular fur trimming in our house. They have hay trays with hemp bedding and hay.

Hope you find someone who can help. Vets and pet sitters are worth asking. Good luck.

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
I’ve had him out and tried to trim him with the help of my friend made sure I wasn’t too near his skin cutting him and gave his back end a quick wash he was so distressed and squealed the whole time so I couldn’t do a very good job his heart was racing so fast I didn’t want to stress him any further so he has one side cut short he looks a blooming mess! And there’s still fur that needs cutting 😩

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
He doesn't know what he looks like so don't worry! Betsy always has a lop sided summer hair do for a bit. One side is grade 4 the other is just Betsy fur! You can always finish it another day.:))