• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

End of my tether with messy pig!

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
Try as I might I can’t keep my long haired ronaldo clean! He continues to poo everywhere including in his bed and wee everywhere and he sits it it!
I’ve tried fleece hat chipping a the lot! I’ve settled on puppy pads with a layer of dust free clippings on top as the best option. However, he’s now got poo all stuck in his fur! I’m going to cut him as short as poss today but if anyone has any tips it wud be much appreciated. I don’t like the thought of him getting wet and dirty! 😩

I know that feeling! I have a sepcial needs girl who try as I might, I couldn't keep her dry on most bedding. I swapped through loads! But I've been using the white Kaytee clean and cosy paper bedding for a few months now and she's been dry as a bone. It's much more absorbent than most other bedding, it is expensive though, so you could always just put it in high traffic areas like under pigloos or any place they prefer to sleep.
It's done wonders for my Bramble who used to need frequent washes and wipes with a cloth. Trimming the hair will definitely help too!

Blitzen used to do this all the time and the little menace refused to let me groom him properly either. When I switched from Carefresh to Megazorb though he became much better, much more dry...and then all I had to worry about was his fur knotting itself instead.

I would suggest sticking with fleece bedding and making sure his bum, belly and sides are trimmed short. This is what I do with mine.

Thanks everyone I’ve had him in the sink tonight tried to cut what I could and washed his back end. I’ve had to put him back as he’s too distressed 😩 need a Guinea pig groomer in liverpool asap x

Fleece bedding and regular fur trimming in our house. They have hay trays with hemp bedding and hay.

Hope you find someone who can help. Vets and pet sitters are worth asking. Good luck.

I’ve had him out and tried to trim him with the help of my friend made sure I wasn’t too near his skin cutting him and gave his back end a quick wash he was so distressed and squealed the whole time so I couldn’t do a very good job his heart was racing so fast I didn’t want to stress him any further so he has one side cut short he looks a blooming mess! And there’s still fur that needs cutting 😩

He doesn't know what he looks like so don't worry! Betsy always has a lop sided summer hair do for a bit. One side is grade 4 the other is just Betsy fur! You can always finish it another day.:))

He’s clean as much as I can and I hope happy! I feel like a piggy mum failure xx

Attachments

• CF3838E0-3A45-44C6-AD2D-17B1E074F0E4.jpeg
    CF3838E0-3A45-44C6-AD2D-17B1E074F0E4.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2A02937E-E7FF-4C7D-B578-8F696AAA4AE3.jpeg
    2A02937E-E7FF-4C7D-B578-8F696AAA4AE3.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 26
Hi
Don't worry. I suggest trimming his butt as short as possible. If you can't them take him to a professional groomer to get him buzzed. This should last at least a month. If not trim him regularly very short at least every 2 weeks. Do you have a grooming stand these really help keep piggy still whilst you work on his butt.

Hi
Don't worry. I suggest trimming his butt as short as possible. If you can't them take him to a professional groomer to get him buzzed. This should last at least a month. If not trim him regularly very short at least every 2 weeks. Do you have a grooming stand these really help keep piggy still whilst you work on his butt.

My boy Finn has long hair and I have cut his hair before. I wanted to make sure his hair on his bum is clean and short so he can be comfortable. Finn is good and remains very quietly while I cut his hair.

Both Finn’s and Lara’s cages are always maintained with poop scooping at least three times a day.
They have fleece liners. Their cages are lined with puppy pee pads at the very bottom, then I place fleece lining on top. The pee-pads are at the very top on high traffic areas. I change the pee-pads every two days, and lining every 5 days. Their cages are washed with water and scrubbed with vinegar.
Their fleece liners and pee-pads are washed with detergent and soaked in vinegar water for a couple of hours.

I shouldn't worry what he looks like, I mean Tom bless him is sporting a buzz cut as it was the only way I could get Mini's boar glue off him!

Hi. I personally think he would be better and have a poo corner or elsewhere to wee if he had a bigger home. I'm sorry if this is harsh but he needs to run and skip.
Your photos unless at a funny angle show a cage far too small for a piggie.
I'm trying to help and you come across as caring which is looking after a piggie or piggies so pls don't take a offense.
He wee and poo under his shelter.
Dave

Oh I didn't realise you use shavings oh my goodness, I'm not sure If anyone else with long hair piggies hates loose bedding but oh my goodness when I used shavings they were always yellow underneath. Once I switched to fleece it really helped.

Thanks for replies.
I did take advice from pets at home on his cage size and bought the size they reccomended.
I did buy fleece liners and tried those but they got smelly very quick x

The PAH recommendation for a piggy cage is way too small.
I have a 5x2 C&C cage with a 2x2 extension and my 2 youngest happily zoom around the whole cage.
Check the housing guides on the forum for information about cage size.

I kept my original too small PAH cage so I can use it as a hospital cage if it’s ever needed.

My pets at home cage is 3ft 3 x 2ft 7. I dont really habe room for a bigger one. I feel so bad now might need to look to rehome him 😩

That cage is too small for a permanent home. My hospital cage is that size. Don't feel bad about having the wrong size cage you are doing the best you can and took the cage size recommended and thought you were buying the correct size. With piggies it is the bigger the better then you can put loads of stuff in it and keep them stimulated. When I first got piggies I was recommended that size cage for 2 boys! I realised it was far too small very quickly and my late Mum's partner built them a lovely hutch about twice the size and they were happy in it for 5 years.

Back