• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Eriathwens piggies

As I hadn't done it yesterday to avoid spooking him, I figured id get little man weighed today and wow! Not so little 🤣 at 7ish months old hes over 1kg already. Its been a while since I had a young boar, 4 years in fact, so not sure how normal that is but I get the feeling hes going to end up being quite a large boy!

20200714_120636.jpg20200714_120700.jpg20200714_120712.jpg20200714_120648.jpg

Did you manage to find out when he went blind, was he born blind? He is going to be a big chunky boar just how it like them x

I assume he was born blind, but I don't know, I forgot to ask. His eyes appear to have not formed properly, one is a little smaller than normal and one is tiny. He came from somewhere with over 100 piggies, so I imagine there was a whole heap of inbreeding going on there, causing defects. He certainly doesn't let it slow him down though! He knows exactly where everything is and will look directly at you when you speak to him, he's bright as a button :)

I assume he was born blind, but I don't know, I forgot to ask. His eyes appear to have not formed properly, one is a little smaller than normal and one is tiny. He came from somewhere with over 100 piggies, so I imagine there was a whole heap of inbreeding going on there, causing defects. He certainly doesn't let it slow him down though! He knows exactly where everything is and will look directly at you when you speak to him, he's bright as a button :)
Aw, he’s a little trooper 💕 Paddington has settled in so well x

I have some pretty awesome news for Paddington. He has reacted pretty consistently to my shadow moving over the top of him as I move about the room, so I wanted to see what he did with the camera flash from a bit of a distance.. he reacted both times, one on each side! Not much mind you, just lifted his head up and turn to look, but there is definitely some sight going on in both eyes. Even if it's just being able to see light and dark that's still really good, means as long as I can wave a shadow over his eyes, he kind of knows where I am and shouldn't spook, apparently that's when he crashes into things bless him. Although he's been pretty good so far, no spooking at all, although that might be because he can see the bright red of his quarantine cage, I might find a way to put a bright..something.. around the black choroplast of the 2x7 to see if that helps if he starts spooking in there.

But anyway..they're not great because I was only testing the flash reaction but I know pictures of him are thin on the ground 😂 so here's some more!

20200715_010123.jpg20200715_005957.jpg

The lull in vet visits seems to be over 😂 both Poppet and Tilly are going in on Tuesday. Poppet has been screaming when picked up for a while now and while I believe it is most likely behavioural after suffering from scurvy at the start and being so underweight she just expects it to hurt... but considering she did have reason to be in pain, before I start picking her up multiple times a day to break the association of picking up/pain I want to have her seen to be 100% sure there really is nothing going on that's causing her an issue.
Tilly has inflamed or infected lacrimal glands, a bit like cherry eye in dogs but hers is under the top eye lids instead of in the corners. I'm also concerned that her right eye is starting to bulge out a little, that and the on/off dental issues worries me that there might be an abscess or other sort of lump growing in there, which may ultimately be the reason for her head tilt? Who knows, hopefully I'm being paranoid and it's just one of those things but best to have her checked out too now we're not restricted to just life or death emergencies at the vets!

So yeah...fingers crossed for good news for both of them.

Oh yes fingers crossed for both of them x
Hope it all goes well for Tilly and Poppet, best to be on the safe side and get them checked out x

I introduced little Paddington to the camera today, he had a great time! He wasn't too sure of the echo in the bath, but hopefully i'll get round to getting a proper light box soon and that wont be an issue for him. I think they're not bad for his first go at it!

DSCN7536.JPGDSCN7538.JPGDSCN7545.JPGDSCN7547.JPG

Back