• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Exercise (not allowed to free roam)

WombleandBear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I noticed recently that two of my pigs have been getting a little chunky and not in a good sort of way. I asked my parents if I could free roam them in the kitchen (slate floors) or bathroom (plastic floor) but the answer was an adamant no due to pee and the general smell. I was wondering what other people do to keep their pigs a healthy weight, I've seen treat balls for pellets for example. Some ideas would be hugely appreciated

They should really have floor time as a change of scenery. You say they’re getting chunky, how old are they and how much do they weigh? And what’s their heft like? What do you feed them?

I probably wouldn’t do a treat ball. Some of those things aren’t suitable for piggies.

Are you allowed to get them an indoor run? I have one in the garage. It's a bunny business run off Amazon. I have an old offcut of lino, then a waterproof mattress protector. On top of that I have a piece of fleece and then the run. Works well. It folds up easily too. You don't need the lino if you put the run on the carpet just the waterproof mattress protector. :)

We use a shower curtain and put some fleece on top to keep the mess contained fur floor time, you can get both from IKEA for less than £5!

They should really have floor time as a change of scenery. You say they’re getting chunky, how old are they and how much do they weigh? And what’s their heft like? What do you feed them?

I probably wouldn’t do a treat ball. Some of those things aren’t suitable for piggies.
They're 8 months old, I checked their heft and it was a little too chunky. A couple weeks back I could feel their ribs but not individually. I feed then each half a cup of veg every morning and evening and I make sure to scatter feed it.

Are you allowed to get them an indoor run? I have one in the garage. It's a bunny business run off Amazon. I have an old offcut of lino, then a waterproof mattress protector. On top of that I have a piece of fleece and then the run. Works well. It folds up easily too. You don't need the lino if you put the run on the carpet just the waterproof mattress protector. :)
I could ask to buy an indoor run but my mum complains that wherever they go they stink (I have 3 boys and a female). My brother said if I got a run and made sure it was waterproof they could run about in his room. I'll have a look at amazon and see what the run looks like

The run acts as a barrier. You will need something on the floor though. You could use a plastic sheet then put puppy pads on top and cover them with fleece. How much are you feeding them in terms of pellets? Roughly how much weight are they putting on weekly

I noticed recently that two of my pigs have been getting a little chunky and not in a good sort of way. I asked my parents if I could free roam them in the kitchen (slate floors) or bathroom (plastic floor) but the answer was an adamant no due to pee and the general smell. I was wondering what other people do to keep their pigs a healthy weight, I've seen treat balls for pellets for example. Some ideas would be hugely appreciated

Hi! Could you save up for a puppy run that can be wiped down and folded up after use? That may be a workable compromise for your parents.

Please read these guides here to see whether your boys are really overweight or not (feeling for the 'heft' around the ribcage) and then weighing weekly as part of their life-long health monitoring. The weight guide also discusses exercise and how the weight changes over the course of a life.
Our detailed and comprehensive diet guide will help you to make sure that you are not overfeeding as it is looking at all food groups and also has got a veg sample diet picture.

Life-long weekly weight and health monitoring, including exercise:
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Diet and stimulating enrichment:
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

Hi! Could you save up for a puppy run that can be wiped down and folded up after use? That may be a workable compromise for your parents.

Please read these guides here to see whether your boys are really overweight or not (feeling for the 'heft' around the ribcage) and then weighing weekly as part of their life-long health monitoring. The weight guide also discusses exercise and how the weight changes over the course of a life.
Our detailed and comprehensive diet guide will help you to make sure that you are not overfeeding as it is looking at all food groups and also has got a veg sample diet picture.

Life-long weekly weight and health monitoring, including exercise:
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Diet and stimulating enrichment:
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys
I'm going to get them an indoor run that can go both indoors and out. I do weigh them every week I just noticed last night that their heft feels off. An indoor run and a new place to exercise seems like a good thing in general so I'm looking for one now. I'll have a look at the diet thread (I read it ages ago but it's good to re-check) as well as all of he weight related ones. Thank you :)

I'm going to get them an indoor run that can go both indoors and out. I do weigh them every week I just noticed last night that their heft feels off. An indoor run and a new place to exercise seems like a good thing in general so I'm looking for one now. I'll have a look at the diet thread (I read it ages ago but it's good to re-check) as well as all of he weight related ones. Thank you :)

You will need to make sure it is very sturdy and secure if you intend on using it outside.

I could ask to buy an indoor run but my mum complains that wherever they go they stink (I have 3 boys and a female). My brother said if I got a run and made sure it was waterproof they could run about in his room. I'll have a look at amazon and see what the run looks like
THREE boys and a female? How do they get along?

Back