• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Extra Smelly Piggies!

court29x

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
since having fleece cage liners they have gotten extra smelly! they didn't smell at all yesterday but today its rank haha! I wouldn't mind so much but they are in my bedroom and theres no where else I can put them, I vacuumed out their poo's today but they still smell! I dont know what to do any tips on how to help? I dont want to light scented candles as I think one of the candles is a bit strong however the other one is subtler but I dont think it would mask the smell, are their any safe ways of masking the smell without harming the piggies?:mal:

Please don't light scented candles, piggies have very sensitive noses, so it was good that you are checking in with that question.
I'm afraid I never really got on with fleece due to the smells so I can't help in that regard, I appreciate that fleece is good and comfy and clean looking but I use aubiose bedding and don't have any issues with smells. Because it's absorbent.

can i suggest you wash the liner three times,so the fleece wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer.cat litter trays are good to put bedding in and hay,it takes a few times to get the correct bedding that works for you and your piggies.:)

can i suggest you wash the liner three times,so the fleece wicks the urine through to the absorbent layer.cat litter trays are good to put bedding in and hay,it takes a few times to get the correct bedding that works for you and your piggies.:)
I have wicked it and its completely absorbing the wee

I'm not sure why it smells ,that is unpleasant for you..i use aubiose in my hutches,and fleece liners in my indoor cages.I hope you find a solution.:)

my fleece does not smell at all but I remove the wet newspapers underneath once a day; newspapers work as an absorbant layer. During this change of papers the fleece is put outside for some cool air and I wash it only once a week, sometimes more often only for having a different colour into the cage, not because of the smell.
But a great smell was present one day and I could not understand until I found out that my daughter was giving them a lot of pellets (good quality) at breakfast, before I got up. Afterwards I explained to my daughter that I don't want to feed them with pellets (only few pieces given as a treat) and that for breakfast there is their grass into the fridge: since then the smell has desappeared immediately. If they eat huge amount of fresh grass they can also wee on my sofa and on my clothes and there is no smell and no stains.
Another thing: my usual detergent for washing machine has no scent, but I am using now another detergent which make clothes smelling good for long days. You could try another brand of detergent (but I don't know how much the piggies like that soap smell...)

What do you use as an absorbant later? Because it's usually the pee that makes it smellsmell. If you use bed pads or puppy pads that advertise as odor neutralizing this really helps :)

Back