• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Extremely sick baby cockatiel. I haven’t slept for 3 days.

Thank goodness you found him Hannah. He had the best chance with you. I am willing him to get better. He is a gorgeous boy and deserves to get through this and so do you x

I've only just seen this. What a beautiful little guy ❤. Your story has had me in tears. I loved when you asked the vet if you were being cruel by not putting him to sleep. And he was like no way, this guy is a fighter. He really is fighting so hard, and so are you. I don't know which of you I'm the most proud of!

I’m so stressed.
On Thursday I saw a breeders ad on gumtree advertising baby cockatiels. The photo showed their filthy conditions. I never ever buy from breeders but something told me to message him.
He had one left. So off I went to see. The shed he was keeping him in STUNK of mice urine and was woodchip dusty from woodwork Being done right next to the cage. Also many containers or chemicals. The cage was filthy, the bottom was full of old seed and bird mess. He passed me the pathetic looking 8 week old baby who was shaking. The man had put glue in his wings to prevent him from flying..There was no way I was leaving him there.
As soon as we got home I knew this bird was sick. He hadn’t stopped trembling and was so wobbly. Also his feathers where in a state and hadn’t grown them all which he should have at his age.
I took him to the vet the very next day. The vet was suprised at his poor condition and the prognosis wasn’t great. He wasn’t sure what was wrong with him but likely a neurological issue due to either an infection, bacteria, toxicity, malnourishment, or vitamin deficiency’s.
He gave him a jab if antibiotics and sent us home with oral antibiotics and anti inflammatorys.
saturday morning things were looking up, he seemed much brighter and could now preen himself without falling over. And a huge appetite. But unfortunately by the afternoon his bad tremor was back and he went down a bit, I thought he’d die in the night.
Sunday came around and he was ok in the morning but at 4pm he started having seizures, he had 5 in the space of about 5 hours and was in a postictal state the whole time (floppy, lethargic). I was sure he was dying. 10pm he finally managed to come around without fitting again. It was a long night waking up every time I heard him make a noise. I can’t believe he survived.
Monday he was flat, trembly but eating. 8 pm he seizured again. (I tried making vet appointment in the morning but the only bird vet wasn’t in until Tuesday). I managed to calm the seizure but he stayed postictal and floppy all night with the occasional wake up and spasm out before going floppy again. I hardly slept a wink.
7.30 today he came to, very poorly looking and trembling but still eating!
9.30 he saw the vet again. He was so suprised that little Pip had made it through the weekend especially with his seizures. He’s given him a calcium gluconate injection and we are going to try anti-seizure meds but unfortunately they won’t be ready for 2/3 days! I asked him if it’s cruel me not putting him down yet and proceeding with trial out some medication. He said absolutely not, for pip to have come this far he clearly has so much fight in him so it’s fine to see if we can help him at all.
All day pip has been very trembly still but still eating! He’s loooves food! I can tell he’s going to seizure again tonight. I’m so stressed, it’s horrible.
I love this little mite so much. It’s been a rollercoaster few days. He’s had a couple of good moments where he’s felt much better and I can see his personality. But then he goes downhill on deaths door again.
He’s currently sleeping on my chest (the only time he sleeps!) but I have to get up and I’m scared it’s going to trigger his seizures.
I haven’t slept for 3 nights so am now feeling emotional and exhausted.

please send healing vibes for Pip! He’s such a fighter, he must survive to try out the seizure meds at the end of the week.
Come on Pip you can do it!
View attachment 142045View attachment 142046View attachment 142047View attachment 142048View attachment 142049View attachment 142050View attachment 142051View attachment 142052View attachment 142053

Horrible back yard breeders! :no:
The past owner must have been so horrible to glue his wings down like that! Backyard breeders really are horrible. I hope little Pip gets better soon:bye:

How is pip today?
I was also thinking of you and Pip today - I hope he is hanging in there.
You are doing an amazing job giving him every chance.

Hi everyone!
I’m happy to report that little Pip is still with us! He’s had a good day today, still touch and go.. but he’s trying so hard. I hope we have many more good days to come.

I've only just seen this. What a beautiful little guy ❤. Your story has had me in tears. I loved when you asked the vet if you were being cruel by not putting him to sleep. And he was like no way, this guy is a fighter. He really is fighting so hard, and so are you. I don't know which of you I'm the most proud of!

aww thank you so much for the kind words. It really means a lot. :hug:
I too am SO proud of Pipsqueak.

B4AB8FED-C8E9-4032-9D99-F847543DD364.jpegCA1F8A32-DBA4-43A9-8B7C-4133DEBB0CF5.jpeg

I don't know anything about birds but Pip is very cute! I really hope he'll be okay. Sounds really scary for you both 😔 whatever happens at least he's loved and cared for now. Hope he pulls through and has lots of happy times ahead. I didn't even know birds have seizures. What causes that? All the best to you Hannah and Pip🥰

Come on Pipsqueek. You have a lovely mum, home and new animal friends. We love all animals on the forum and everyone here is routing for you. You can do this. There’s a whole new beautiful life to live for now so go for it x

He is lovely! I too wish him all the best. Thank goodness you got to him.

Good luck reporting the breeder ...

Please don’t feel bad, you’re doing the very best that you can. And I’m sure he appreciates it. You need to get some rest as well if possible.

Don’t loose hope you are Doing a great job, try have a nap x 💤💤💤💤

You are amazing for stepping up for Pipsqueak ❤ Thinking of you two and hope he will be able to make a recovery.

You are exhausted and putting all the energy you do have into caring for him. Try to get some rest yourself, hopefully if he is still picking up he might not need such intense care soon. Most of us have been where you are with a poorly animal and know that desperation of just wanting them to get better. But you are doing a great job!

Back