• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye, Sebaceous Cyst & Fungal issues all at once :(

Tiggy having her Malaseb bath

DSC_1078.JPG

DSC_1090.JPG
is this the expression where 'drowned rat'comes from? bless her :(
DSC_1092.JPG
bit drier, obviously happier being blow dried and having a munch at the same time :)
DSC_1099.JPG
fungal patch under her left ear
DSC_1153.JPG
fungal patch by her right eye, this originally looked like a small scratch & progressed from there!
DSC_1159.JPG
Orca's Sebaceous cyst on top of her head, during the other nights fungal treatment
DSC_1051.JPG
an emptying cyst, it was like a toothpaste consistency
DSC_1054.JPG
this is grim... no wonder that cyst had been growing look at all that gunk in it! :vom::vom::vom::vom:
DSC_1057.JPG
this was the first nights gunk from the cyst, i got some more out the following night & the vet got more out yesterday, its looking a lot better now :)
DSC_1066.JPG

Last edited:
Well we've survived another vet visit,

one of the neighbours has a 'chihuahua cross' that kept itching, scratching & nibbling his hair so he was almost bald in some places, vet said no mites, just dandruffy & sore, she tried "Skin & Itch homeopathic remedy" & his hair started to grow back really well.
i used this on my dog too when she had sore patches between her toes. you add it to food (i just put Khusi's drops on a biscuit & it would disappear very quickly!) have a look to see if cats can have it,i would imagine so as there's a picture on the box & see what the vet says, might be worth a go?
HomeoPet Skin & Itch Relief Homeopathic Remedy
i only have the 5 mammals too.. 4x guineas & the dog, that's plenty enough to keep up with for me! (i do however miss having a cat-but i have lots of birds in the garden now-so I'll make do with that :) )

i see on the petdrugsonline website it was £55, i don't know how much they charge for writing out a prescription though? but I'm pretty sure the online version would still be cheaper! Thanks for that :)
the Remend drops were £6 something on viovet oppsed to £12 something from the vets! still cheaper online even with postage added on!

Aww bless your buttons, thank you so much Heather, that's appreciated :D always nice to know there's someone to chat guinea & sink a cuppa with if needed :hug:

Darn i never knew that, i would have researched/suggested the Sporanox if i had known before :) i think the vet is reluctant to use Itrafungal still, due to the harshness on the liver.
i am however using Daktarin oral gel now, to see if that helps, i have read that it can help prevent oral & systemic mycoses (internal fungal infection) & hopefully help them heal from the inside.
plus we're still bathing the affected areas with Malaseb twice daily & i'm giving them baths once a week in it. it all seems to be drying up, although Tiggy has a nasty bald patch on her back, which i'm adding a thin smearing of Sudocream after bathing, the vet said this should help her skin heal & regain elasticity quicker....fingers crossed!
she seems a bit more comfortable as her skin was all cracked & dry, i was worried this would encourage infection in the lesions :(

fab thanks for all the info, i'm just about to order this afternoon, all helpful tips :nod: think i'll go for the concentrated version as it seems more versatile :tu: will probably treat myself to the hand gel too, i have been washing my hands in Malaseb shampoo after each treatment session up until now
...hubby sounds like he's not too fussed on the hygiene issues? ! lol! :yikes:

i gave them their patch treatments etc this morning, i wasn't popular yesterday with the baths thats for sure! however they all seem to like being dried with the hairdryer :)
...probably not wise blowing all the spores around, but i can't get them dry & warm again otherwise. they seem to enjoy that bit of the paper session , so i class it as their treat at the end of the traumatic bathing bit!
Bumblebee took a big bite out of my finger yesterday at the vets, I'm sure she was testing how thick my nail was.. however it wasn't my nail... it was my finger tip, the vet even had to give me some paper towel as it was bleeding so much, i'd just told him she was such a good girl for her bath... thats it, go on prove me wrong & give me a very sore finger for my efforts! owch! i did tell her its only the 3rd time i've been bitten by a guinea in over 20 yrs of keeping them... she didn't seem bothered chewing away on her apple peel!
ah well, i should be glad she's eating i guess?!

Bumblebee after bathtime
View attachment 108389
a bit drier
View attachment 108390
having her fungal patch by her nipple bathed
View attachment 108391
patch of fungal under chin having a soak
View attachment 108392
poor Orca's fungal nose
View attachment 108393
Orca's fungal nose & the bit on top of her head is where the cyst broke out
View attachment 108394

Please do not treat only the affected areas, give your piggies an all-over body bath to prevent any further outbreaks.
If you are really worried about mycosis, which is a Rodentology concept that has frankly not borne out as much as vets have been looking for it, then an oral systemic treatment like itrafungol, sporonox or ketoconazole will do the trick much effectively than daktarin gel!

Tiggy having her Malaseb bath

View attachment 108379

View attachment 108380
is this the expression where 'drowned rat'comes from? bless her :(
View attachment 108381
bit drier, obviously happier being blow dried and having a munch at the same time :)
View attachment 108382
fungal patch under her left ear
View attachment 108383
fungal patch by her right eye, this originally looked like a small scratch & progressed from there!
View attachment 108384
Orca's Sebaceous cyst on top of her head, during the other nights fungal treatment
View attachment 108385
an emptying cyst, it was like a toothpaste consistency
View attachment 108386
this is grim... no wonder that cyst had been growing look at all that gunk in it! :vom::vom::vom::vom:
View attachment 108387
this was the first nights gunk from the cyst, i got some more out the following night & the vet got more out yesterday, its looking a lot better now :)
View attachment 108388
Poor piggies.
If anyone can give them the care they need to recover it’s you

Well we've survived another vet visit,

one of the neighbours has a 'chihuahua cross' that kept itching, scratching & nibbling his hair so he was almost bald in some places, vet said no mites, just dandruffy & sore, she tried "Skin & Itch homeopathic remedy" & his hair started to grow back really well.
i used this on my dog too when she had sore patches between her toes. you add it to food (i just put Khusi's drops on a biscuit & it would disappear very quickly!) have a look to see if cats can have it,i would imagine so as there's a picture on the box & see what the vet says, might be worth a go?
HomeoPet Skin & Itch Relief Homeopathic Remedy
i only have the 5 mammals too.. 4x guineas & the dog, that's plenty enough to keep up with for me! (i do however miss having a cat-but i have lots of birds in the garden now-so I'll make do with that :) )
Thanks for that @GPTV x
Yeah Rosie the cat used to be terrible, mostly because she'd over-groom, teeny spot that would end up 2inches wide from her attacking herself! Many skin scrapes and other tests, had steroids for years but being an indoor cat has cured most of it!
I love birdies, my favourite past time just watching them flap around! :)

The cyst 'material' from Orca is v similar to Pedro's non-eye in the morning, well his may be a bit gunkier, no smell, just thick nastyness!

Poor drowned rats! :) x hope all the baths help :)

Please do not treat only the affected areas, give your piggies an all-over body bath to prevent any further outbreaks.
If you are really worried about mycosis, which is a Rodentology concept that has frankly not borne out as much as vets have been looking for it, then an oral systemic treatment like itrafungol, sporonox or ketoconazole will do the trick much effectively than daktarin gel!
they're having weekly all over Malaseb baths & 2x daily Malaseb affected patch treatments.
I appreciate what you mean & know that an oral treatment will be more effective & treat all areas, but if my vet won't prescribe Itrafungal- then i'm stuck between a rock & a hard place, he checked them all over yesterday & there does seem to be improvement in all of them, even though it looks really manky, am i right in thinking it has to look worse before it can look better? infected hair is falling out, so leaving unaffected hairs to grow through. i've been gently removing any dead skin & barely attached hair, stuck to loose scabs/skin.

Vicki suggested Sporanox last night, so I'll have a look & see if i can ask the vet to prescribe that as an alternative to Itrafungal. although it looks like the active ingredient is the same (itraconazole)? Ketoconazole looks to be of the same family also :(
Orca is on the mature side of life & she has always been a bit nasal'y, so maybe thats why the vet isn't keen to prescribe too, as i see its not recommended for cardiac or lung patients.

Poor piggies.
If anyone can give them the care they need to recover it’s you
Thank you, I'm trying my best :wub:

Thanks for that @GPTV x
Yeah Rosie the cat used to be terrible, mostly because she'd over-groom, teeny spot that would end up 2inches wide from her attacking herself! Many skin scrapes and other tests, had steroids for years but being an indoor cat has cured most of it!
I love birdies, my favourite past time just watching them flap around! :)

The cyst 'material' from Orca is v similar to Pedro's non-eye in the morning, well his may be a bit gunkier, no smell, just thick nastyness!

Poor drowned rats! :) x hope all the baths help :)
Orca's gunk doesn't smell either :)
poor little pirate Pedro, he's so cute & sounds like his sand 'baths' have done him the world of good :) xx

Yeah think Ped's recovery is 'mental' rather than medicinal (well that non-eye needs to get healed but!) He was so down in the dumps, pull the bath out and he's a totally different chap! They're far too clever these chins! Thanks so much! x
Hope all your hard work helps xx

Yeah think Ped's recovery is 'mental' rather than medicinal (well that non-eye needs to get healed but!) He was so down in the dumps, pull the bath out and he's a totally different chap! They're far too clever these chins! Thanks so much! x
Hope all your hard work helps xx
:lol!: LOL! do you mean 'mental' or psychological? well actually he's a chin... so you're probably right, my brothers ex girfriend used to have Chins & they were lovely little floofers, but completely bonkers :luv:
Hard work it is, but if you & can Pedro can do it then thats motivation for us too :D:tu: Thankyou x

Haha yep he's Mental! And his probs mental and psychological, and biological! He's strange, that's chins, they're nuts, hard to describe if you've not kept them! :)
Well, he's kept me, you think pigs are bad then keep a chin! Add a dog to a cat and a pig, then a bit of kangaroo/wallaby! That's Ped! In a 450g body! :)
He's trouble but in a good way :) Why I'm bonkers! XD

Haha hope the nutter had helped, if he can get through all this (well not yet!) then anypig can :) Xx

Thanks though :hug:means a lot xx

:blink:Uhhhh I've had enough! Gave all the girls their malaseb antifungal bath yesterday, Squiggle has been the least affected with only 2 very small patches of fungal, by her ear & a small scab on her back. Her hair has been thinning slightly on her back, only to notice that the thinning patch is now a 'V' so looks like another vets appointment :(

Do any mites cause the telltale 'V' on her back/rump or is it just mange mites? :mal:

Now I'm wondering if that's the cause of Tiggys bald patch on her back too?
Hers is generally circular but she's long haired so I'm not sure if that would make any difference?

I've ordered F10 disinfectant, F10 barrier cream & yesterday added Xeno 450 to my expanding list! Just wish it would all hurry up & get here!

The poor girls are all hagged off with me poking, prodding, spot treating, then syringing twice a day & bathing weekly.

Squiggles still scratching & nibbling, Orca's eye is still cloudy, her fungal face only has a few tufts of hair waiting to come off. Tiggys squealing at the top of her voice as soon as I pick her up as her back is sore (vet recommended sudocream, so been putting a thin smearing of that on her scabbing/lesions to soothe it) & Bumblebees chin & mouth scabs are healing nicely, but I see tonight she has thinning hair... Sheesh... Gimme a break!

... Can vets put a restraining order on their customers? I'm sure they must be fed up to their back teeth with me :(

Oh dear you are having a really rough time aren't you? Healing vibes and wheaky wheaky wheaks from my lot to yours. Have a hug cos you obviously need one.:hug:

DSC_1196.JPG

Squiggle does have a defined 'V' which is making me think mites on top of their fungal episode?

The Xeno isn't here yet, but how many days minimum between their baths yesterday & putting the Xeno 450 on them, sure I've read a time frame on here somewhere?
X

:blink:Uhhhh I've had enough! Gave all the girls their malaseb antifungal bath yesterday, Squiggle has been the least affected with only 2 very small patches of fungal, by her ear & a small scab on her back. Her hair has been thinning slightly on her back, only to notice that the thinning patch is now a 'V' so looks like another vets appointment :(

Do any mites cause the telltale 'V' on her back/rump or is it just mange mites? :mal:

Now I'm wondering if that's the cause of Tiggys bald patch on her back too?
Hers is generally circular but she's long haired so I'm not sure if that would make any difference?

I've ordered F10 disinfectant, F10 barrier cream & yesterday added Xeno 450 to my expanding list! Just wish it would all hurry up & get here!

The poor girls are all hagged off with me poking, prodding, spot treating, then syringing twice a day & bathing weekly.

Squiggles still scratching & nibbling, Orca's eye is still cloudy, her fungal face only has a few tufts of hair waiting to come off. Tiggys squealing at the top of her voice as soon as I pick her up as her back is sore (vet recommended sudocream, so been putting a thin smearing of that on her scabbing/lesions to soothe it) & Bumblebees chin & mouth scabs are healing nicely, but I see tonight she has thinning hair... Sheesh... Gimme a break!

... Can vets put a restraining order on their customers? I'm sure they must be fed up to their back teeth with me :(

Poor you! that is infeed mange mites caused by a lowered immune system. As it is just the start of them, a full course of ivermectin will hopefully do the trick. Treatment will be a lot easier if one them is either oral or by injection. If use spot-on and baths you need to wait 2 days between each treatment to allow full absorption and effectiveness, which can be a real pain when deal with fungal and mites at the same time. :(

HUGS!

Your piggies don't do things by halves do they? I hope you can see light at the end of the tunnel very soon. Xx

Poor you! that is infeed mange mites caused by a lowered immune system. As it is just the start of them, a full course of ivermectin will hopefully do the trick. Treatment will be a lot easier if one them is either oral or by injection. If use spot-on and baths you need to wait 2 days between each treatment to allow full absorption and effectiveness, which can be a real pain when deal with fungal and mites at the same time. :(

HUGS!
Thank you :)
I really would like them to have the itrafungal as an oral defence for the fungal & do the Xeno spot on, I think it would pan out more effective for them & much easier for me! (OK selfish I know!)

Will try and convert/convince the vet tomorrow to trial it for them.

Bonus... So everything I've ordered should be here by Thurs anyway. So I can put Xeno on then safely :)
Thank you :)

Your piggies don't do things by halves do they? I hope you can see light at the end of the tunnel very soon. Xx

LOL! No they jump in with both feet ( or should that be four feet?)
Never had so much hassle all at once before! Little critters! Good job I love them :wub:
... & Yes I am desperately seeking the light at the end of the tunnel :nod:
Thankyou xx

Last edited:
Massive hugs. Hope it all comes today and all helps the piggies! And you! :)
I used to joke with my old vet that I should have a fold out bed there, seemed to live there for a while! So know that feeling! :doh: xx

Just got back from the vets, had a different vet today, she said I'm doing all the right things & to keep going with the malaseb soaks & baths for the fungal--darn it still no itrafungal :(

When the Xeno gets here to apply that for the mites - she was amused that I'd bought it for £20 online instead of paying £33 that she would charge... Said she would have done the same :))
... Just hope postie delivers it today :nod:
X

All the best! If necessary write out application days so you know what you have done when.

Hopefully you are coming to the end of any fungal treatment now. That is when no new crusts form on the skin after a bath. It usually takes about 3-4 baths every 3 days for around 7-10 days overall to get on top of the acute phase.

All the best! If necessary write out application days so you know what you have done when.

Hopefully you are coming to the end of any fungal treatment now. That is when no new crusts form on the skin after a bath. It usually takes about 3-4 baths every 3 days for around 7-10 days overall to get on top of the acute phase.
Thankyou :)
i haven't seen any new patches forming for probably nearly a week now, so i'm optimistic (i need to be - it's starting to get to me!)

the patches that are there are mostly dried up / scabbed over or have hair growing from bald patches, but Orca still has an attached tuft of hair that doesnt want to come off anytime soon, i'm thinking the attached fungal skin/scab needs to be removed either by soaking it, smamming it with sudocream or testing my hairdressing skills & trim the new hair that its stuck to, to get it off - as its probably still emitting fungal spores from it?
only trouble is it's on her forehead/nose, so an awkward position. grrr!

the Xeno (well-either order) hasn't come in the post today, so I'll put it on tomorrow if it comes then. they were bathed on Tuesday, Monday is my next half day & next Tues will be my day off & a good time to bath them again, with a 3 or 4 day gap between spot on & bathing.

bless her - even the vet said i looked fed up when i got in there... that made me feel better?! LOL!
thank you to everyone who's helped out, the girls & i really appreciate your support & knowledge :hug: xx

Back