• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye, Sebaceous Cyst & Fungal issues all at once :(

Thankyou :)
i haven't seen any new patches forming for probably nearly a week now, so i'm optimistic (i need to be - it's starting to get to me!)

the patches that are there are mostly dried up / scabbed over or have hair growing from bald patches, but Orca still has an attached tuft of hair that doesnt want to come off anytime soon, i'm thinking the attached fungal skin/scab needs to be removed either by soaking it, smamming it with sudocream or testing my hairdressing skills & trim the new hair that its stuck to, to get it off - as its probably still emitting fungal spores from it?
only trouble is it's on her forehead/nose, so an awkward position. grrr!

the Xeno (well-either order) hasn't come in the post today, so I'll put it on tomorrow if it comes then. they were bathed on Tuesday, Monday is my next half day & next Tues will be my day off & a good time to bath them again, with a 3 or 4 day gap between spot on & bathing.

bless her - even the vet said i looked fed up when i got in there... that made me feel better?! LOL!
thank you to everyone who's helped out, the girls & i really appreciate your support & knowledge :hug: xx

You've really been through the mill! Sadly any affected hairs need to come out. Ringworm is generally sitting at the hair roots.

I know how you are feeling, having been through ringworm outbreaks in larger groups a few times myself and learning quite a few hygiene tips the hard way with my own piggies! The only thing I can promise you: problems are like London buses, but then you get nice spells when everything is fine again and you can take a breather. ;)

HUGS!

@GPTV : If there are no longer any whitish crusts forming, I would just wait until that last bit has come out and then give everypig one last 'signing off bath' and the cage a deep cleaning while they are drying, and then you are hopefully over the worst of it. Mange mites are just a matter of application. The period between infection and outbreak is 10-14 days, so you can catch any problem and remove any last spores from the coats with just one more bath. ;)

Take a deep breath; you are nearly there! :tu:

Right then peeps mainly an ...
The girls had their Xeno drops on friday when they finally got here.
I have still been applying the malaseb shampoo to the fungal areas, although there's been no new areas develop. All the crusty /scabby bits seem to be gone now & their hair is growing back slowly.

Still giving the Daktarin until I've used up what I have here, so about 2-3days worth left.

I have some F10 concentrated disinfectant for their hutch. But it's in the shed which is wooden-I see there's some F10 fogger spray for disinfecting rooms....

:hmm:has anyone used this & would it be worth me getting it to do the whole shed with it too?

They've all just had their malaseb bath & blow dry, they're all currently sat indoors in the warm drying off completely whilst I clean their hutch.

I have some more Xeno on order to apply Friday or Saturday for the mites & expecting to give them a final bath next week.
Hopefully eradicating any fungal spores & washing away any dandruff or dead mites/eggs that may be left.
Although planning on a third & final application of Xeno a week after that.... Just to be on the safe side!

Xx

Last edited:
Phew! Wishing you all the luck with this ringworm, what nightmare x

Wow, you've not had much time to put your feet up then! Hope all your hard work helps (and you get a rest soon!) :) x

Has anyone got any experience of the F10 aerosol fogger to use in their wooden shed?

Wow, you've not had much time to put your feet up then! Hope all your hard work helps (and you get a rest soon!) :) x

LOL! I had holiday booked from work in preparation for a winter sun Canary Islands trip, not sure if I mean it but... luckily it didn't happen this year as my holiday buddy has been flat out with family hassles.

So I spent nearly 2wks taking care of fungal, mite ridden, bursting sebaceous cyst gunk, gammy eye'd girls instead!
Aren't I lucky?! Lol!
My mum has been great & going in doing the spot bathing on about 4 or 5 sessions when I've been back to work tho & she's loved every minute of the oral meds giving :no:

I wonder how you fit all Pedro s treatment in @alpacasqueak ?
...i am in awe! :nod:

Anyway hopefully we're all coming down the homeward straight now :tu:
Thank you for the support everyone xx

Has anyone got any experience of the F10 aerosol fogger to use in their wooden shed?

LOL! I had holiday booked from work in preparation for a winter sun Canary Islands trip, not sure if I mean it but... luckily it didn't happen this year as my holiday buddy has been flat out with family hassles.

So I spent nearly 2wks taking care of fungal, mite ridden, bursting sebaceous cyst gunk, gammy eye'd girls instead!
Aren't I lucky?! Lol!
My mum has been great & going in doing the spot bathing on about 4 or 5 sessions when I've been back to work tho & she's loved every minute of the oral meds giving :no:

I wonder how you fit all Pedro s treatment in @alpacasqueak ?
...i am in awe! :nod:

Anyway hopefully we're all coming down the homeward straight now :tu:
Thank you for the support everyone xx
Lucky you, eye gunk's so much nicer than a trip to the Canary Islands! How nice your mum's been helping you out, hope you can get on top of all the issues with all you've done :)
Thanks, you shouldn't be though, you're working and doing loads with your piggies! Think I've only been able to manage with Pedro because I'm not working atm (due to my irritating epilepsy), my last job was 9/10hr shifts without a lunch break so no idea how I would have coped with him if I was there! He's so much better now, other than flushes and 1 or 2 feeds a day he's not needing me as much anymore bless him. Was full on for a while though! :) xx

Not sure what you mean by fogger? I mix the concentrate and pour it into a spray bottle which makes it easier to clean cages. I bought it ready mixed the first time so I reuse the bottle it came in.

I'm pleased you are seeing the end soon.what alot of stress you have had to deal with.i hope you can get some holiday time .sending my positive thoughts !
:hug:

Wow, sounds like this has been a marathon effort. Well done for getting on top of things. Hope things carry on going in the right direction for you.

Not sure what you mean by fogger? I mix the concentrate and pour it into a spray bottle which makes it easier to clean cages. I bought it ready mixed the first time so I reuse the bottle it came in.
Looks like the fogger is an aerosol type version that is activated in the room (no pets present) & it settles in all the nooks & crannies, apparently its used in veterinary surgeries/theatres.
I was thinking it would settle throughout the shed in a fine mist. But I wont buy it if its no good. I have the concentrated version for their hutch.
F10 Products Disinfectant Aerosol Fogger

X

I hadn't seen that one, sorry I have no experience of it. We have wooden, tiled and lino floors so when the boys had parasites as part of my final big clean at the end of the medication I made up a small bucket of F10 and washed down the skirting boards and floors. It does sound like a good idea for a shed though with all those nooks and crannies spores could hide out in.

Gahhhhhh! :crazy::mal:

I think Squiggle has got ringworm/fungal again - above her eye :(
I have a vets appointment booked for Monday afternoon.

Upon closer inspection of the others this morning as I was putting them out for lawn time,
I've noticed that Orca's eye has a slight dimple & possibly thinning hair above it, although I may just be paranoid!

Again Tiggy might have a spot by her eye, but it's that small I could just be over reacting!?

Bumblebee always has a drier slightly flakey skin on her white ear, with a slightly more waxy look inside, but she is a teddy/rex type so generally has drier, more flakey skin anyway.

Last time at the beginning of the year, I was subjected to at least twice daily spot batheing with Malaseb shampoo for all 4girls & full bath about twice a week (I think if not more).
By the end of the 4-6wks we had all had enough! Especially when I got ringworm too :lose: after being so careful!

The vet last time wouldnt prescribe Itrafungal oral treatment - not sure why?
I'm going to ask if I can try it this time if it's diagnosed as fungal as I can't go through the daily bathing rigmarole again, I was close to melt down at the end of it last time!

Can all 4 have it, even Bumblebee as I'm not convinced she has it, but I don't want to leave her on her own if the others are being treated for it.
I'm guessing a Malaseb bath for one will be a bit of waste of time-so all would need bathing as well at oral itrafungal if she's the only one without a fungal infection?

I've never experienced fungal problems in over 20yrs then it looks like I'm dealing with it twice in 6months! :(

I know the itrafungal will be expensive - does anyone know of a quick cheaper website that I could get it from if needed when I have a prescription for it?

Many thanks the girls & I xx

Gahhhhhh! :crazy::mal:

I think Squiggle has got ringworm/fungal again - above her eye :(
I have a vets appointment booked for Monday afternoon.

Upon closer inspection of the others this morning as I was putting them out for lawn time,
I've noticed that Orca's eye has a slight dimple & possibly thinning hair above it, although I may just be paranoid!

Again Tiggy might have a spot by her eye, but it's that small I could just be over reacting!?

Bumblebee always has a drier slightly flakey skin on her white ear, with a slightly more waxy look inside, but she is a teddy/rex type so generally has drier, more flakey skin anyway.

Last time at the beginning of the year, I was subjected to at least twice daily spot batheing with Malaseb shampoo for all 4girls & full bath about twice a week (I think if not more).
By the end of the 4-6wks we had all had enough! Especially when I got ringworm too :lose: after being so careful!

The vet last time wouldnt prescribe Itrafungal oral treatment - not sure why?
I'm going to ask if I can try it this time if it's diagnosed as fungal as I can't go through the daily bathing rigmarole again, I was close to melt down at the end of it last time!

Can all 4 have it, even Bumblebee as I'm not convinced she has it, but I don't want to leave her on her own if the others are being treated for it.
I'm guessing a Malaseb bath for one will be a bit of waste of time-so all would need bathing as well at oral itrafungal if she's the only one without a fungal infection?

I've never experienced fungal problems in over 20yrs then it looks like I'm dealing with it twice in 6months! :(

I know the itrafungal will be expensive - does anyone know of a quick cheaper website that I could get it from if needed when I have a prescription for it?

Many thanks the girls & I xx

Hi!

You treat any acutely affected piggies with itrafungol.
Give all piggies in the group a bath with malaseb to prevent the non-affected ones coming down with ringworm and deep clean the cage.

Then you do the same once the acute stage of ringworm is over to make sure that no spores sitting in any coat are carried across and you can start with a totally clean spore-free environment and piggies again. You can leave them all together it if it is easier for you.

With itrafungol and prompt treatment, the acute stage is usually over after 7-10 days. You may want to give itrafungol 2-3 days longer to be on the safe side. Acute ringworm is over when there are no longer any new crusts forming on the affected patch. Itrafungol usually stops the further spread of ringworm within 2-3 days.
It can be used continuously in guinea pigs or - if your vet feels safer with the cat interval use - 1 week on, 1 week off and if necessary another week on. Dosage is 0.05 ml per 100g of body weight. It has been in use for guinea pigs for nearly a decade now and has been found to be well tolerated and safe to use, as well as much more effective and less stressful for both owners and piggies.

But you should be over it within 1-2 weeks and then another 2 weeks of observation (or quarantine). Here are our detailed care tips again.
I have managed to keep my own last outbreak to a single patch on a single piggy in a room with 30 piggies, so I know that the tips work!
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

PS: Malaseb or other fungal dips (left to dry on the coat) or shampoos (rinsed off after 15 minutes) are usually given every 3 days. Unless you are dealing with a severe outbreak or piggies with underlying problems and a compromised immune system, 3-4 applications overall should be doing the trick. ;)

All the best! I hope that the rest of the problems can also be easily sorted!

Back