• Forum upgrade on Monday May 17th. The forum will be unavailable for some time during this

Feeding Schedule And Amounts!

Lil3piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys!
Just wanting to check that what I give Arty is okay or not.. too much/too little?

I use a pets at home measure cup and measure 40g of nuggets for the day, this is given in the morning and topped up when I get home from work.
Hay in the morning and then topped up after work and before bed. Variety of Timothy/meadow/camomile and dandelion hay.

Then I give a small cup of veg in the morning before i go to work and then the same in the evening. Usually a mix of lettuce leaves and then change between pepper/cucumber/celery. Parsley, carrot and spinach on occasion.

At first I thought this was okay but now I’ve read people just give like a lettuce leaf and small amount of other veg.

Am I feeding too much?

Also, would he be okay being fed his veggies just once a day or will he get hungry throughout the day/night as when I go on holiday as he will be left at a small animal home care and I’m not sure if they will feed him twice a day (havnt enquired just yet).

Sorry for such a long post, I’m a worrier haha.

Thanks! I look forward to any advice!

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Hay is 80% of a piggy diet then veggies and lastly pellets. My 5 piggies get 4 small handfuls of pellets in the morning and no more. They have hay, more hay and even more hay to munch on during the day then veggies at night. I think you are giving too many pellets and not enough hay. Hay must be available 24 hours.
Here is a thread about diet you may find useful.
Diet Guides

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with @Betsy He dosen't need that amount of pellets, I know thats what it probably says on the packet but really the manufactures just want to sell as much as possible. I only give my piggies pellets 3 times a week and think of them more as a treat plus as a source of vit D in the winter. I give them plenty of veg once a day in the morning.

Hay is the most important part of their diet. If he has access to plenty of it 24/7 he will not be hungry

Lil3piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with @Betsy He dosen't need that amount of pellets, I know thats what it probably says on the packet but really the manufactures just want to sell as much as possible. I only give my piggies pellets 3 times a week and think of them more as a treat plus as a source of vit D in the winter. I give them plenty of veg once a day in the morning.

Hay is the most important part of their diet. If he has access to plenty of it 24/7 he will not be hungry
Thanks for your advice! Yes on the packet it says 50g so I did a bit less but was following what it says on the bag tbh. I will reduce his nuggets. He has hay 24/7, I make sure to top it up/add fresh every morning and then throughout the day as needed. He has two hay trays and some piles about his run. Thank you!