Feeding the guinea pigs at TEAS

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Most interesting thread!

I was shocked to read how common the issue of bladder problems seems to be nowadays as i have never had a guinea pig with such problems. I thought perhaps it was because I don't buy from pet shops or dealers and perhaps it was genetic, and hence increasing with the amount of animals bought from pet shops.

But now I am not so sure that it isn't exactly as the thread starter stated, because I too feed my guinea pigs very differently to what tends to be recommended on the internet. (and yes I know I'm currently looking for hay - but that is only in the depths of winter!) Would be most interesting to do some more research.
I believe genetics is a part of it, I once had 2 boars, of the same family. And one got 3 stones, the other no health issues in 7 years apart from one's that old age brings on like arthiritis, then cancer. Both exact same diets. And they were very high calcium, I didn't know not to feed kale, spinach, Parsley everyday back then.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
I only feed veg and salad leaves once a day! In the morning they get their cage filled with hay, plus a handful of readigrass. In the evening they get lots of veg/salad leaves and then their cage is once again, filled with hay! I feed parsley most days, kale every other day and spinach occasionally! I never feed spring greens, etc. Everything else is fed as and when!

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I only feed veg and salad leaves once a day! In the morning they get their cage filled with hay, plus a handful of readigrass. In the evening they get lots of veg/salad leaves and then their cage is once again, filled with hay! I feed parsley most days, kale every other day and spinach occasionally! I never feed spring greens, etc. Everything else is fed as and when!
Maybe my stone pig was just he was going to get them, and that's that

Darcey15

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
They are gorgoeus, and so varied 💕. Do you give them that much leafy salad every day?
Thanks! Yes with lots more hay in the winter months to make up for the lack of grass. That said, they are still out grazing when its not too wet but there's really not much left to graze on but they seem to manage a bit.

Cannot wait until we have some sun & the grass starts to grow again! They really save me time mowing the lawn as often 😂

Darcey15

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I buy our hay by the bale, from farm shops! I ask if I can look the hay, before I buy, as it can be very hit and miss at times!
Same- i got some recently that was horrible- the pigs were not impressed so ditched that for feeding & just use it for extra bedding. It was more yellow and had a funny waxy smell. The kind mine like is softer & has at least some green bits in it. Funny how you get an eye for a good batch over time!