• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeding the guinea pigs at TEAS

When I lost Willow and then Bracken to stones, I was devastated but felt like that too, I knew their short lives had been so much better than a lot of piggies get. Willow had had a lovely summer in the garden runs, it was early October when we lost him. Being retired I can live my life round the weather and get the piggies out as much as possible. Now Rusty has had a stone too it's getting harder to feel that way. The one thing the vet did say was that Rusty had a very nasty urine infection which could have caused the stone, he only had one stone and no sludge. Hopefully now the infection and stone have gone he won't get more like poor Bracken did. That one's a bit chicken and egg!
I would much rather they have an amazing, but shorter life, than a long and miserable life! Keep doing what you're doing! Your piggies are very lucky xx

Thank you @furryfriends (TEAS) that means a lot to me right now.
We can only do our best and it's important that we enjoy our pets. I find it so sad when I see people getting so stressed and upset and animals also pick up on our emotions, so that's another reason to stay happy and positive! Happy owners and happy pets!

I used to think it was because my piggies get a lot of natural sunlight, as they go outdoors, in the runs, throughout the whole summer. It's been so wet this winter, but in previous years I would put them in the run, for 10 mins, when I was cleaning their cage, but it's now been months since they've been on the grass!
Bill and Ted have missed going out on the grass recently but it’s been so wet this autumn. Spring is just around the corner, then they will be back outside in their run for part of the day when it’s nice

Simon says it’s looking most likely to be the nuggets and too much handling that causes the bladder issues.
Now that is yet more interesting info, I had not factored handling into my research at all! Mine are handled only when needed for cleaning out, moving into run etc - because I wish them to live as natural a life as possible they are not handled just for the sake of it.
But having said that I think there is a lot of difference, (if he is thinking along the lines of stress levels) between guinea pigs that have had a good start in life and hence are totally used to being handled and have no fear right from the start, and those from a bad start who are often terrified. I know that when I have taken on those from less that stellar backgrounds, I have been deeply saddened by the level of fear they show at first as it makes me realise how many must go through that.

Any chance when you speak to him again to qualify what he feels is most damaging about the handling - is it stress through fear he is thinking of or just handling per se?

Now that is yet more interesting info, I had not factored handling into my research at all! Mine are handled only when needed for cleaning out, moving into run etc - because I wish them to live as natural a life as possible they are not handled just for the sake of it.
But having said that I think there is a lot of difference, (if he is thinking along the lines of stress levels) between guinea pigs that have had a good start in life and hence are totally used to being handled and have no fear right from the start, and those from a bad start who are often terrified. I know that when I have taken on those from less that stellar backgrounds, I have been deeply saddened by the level of fear they show at first as it makes me realise how many must go through that.

Any chance when you speak to him again to qualify what he feels is most damaging about the handling - is it stress through fear he is thinking of or just handling per se?
Simon and I were talking about this the other day. Some piggies are very confident and handling won't be a problem. However, it is when they feel stress at being picked up and held, which as prey animals is more likely than not, that the stress can cause bladder issues. Bladders don't cope with stress well. Just think about ourselves...when we are worried about something we tend to need the toilet more often! However, I don't think we can just say it is the piggies who had a bad start in life, who are the most stressed. I had a guinea pig, who was born here, who loved other piggies but was terrified of humans. He had no reason to be so scared, as no-one had ever hurt him or treated him badly. However, his mum had come from a very bad situation, so no doubt had been very stressed whilst pregnant.

I handle the piggies here very little, unless they are needing supportive care or medicating. I much prefer to watch them interacting with one another, than having them out for a cuddle, which I might enjoy, but could be very stressful for them.

What oats do you buy Debbie? I''ve found the ones I usually buy (Sainsbury) have gone very small and dusty. I've tried Scots and another supermarket own brand but they are no better.

Thank you they look good. We don't have a Tesco within walking distance. I'll sign up for on line shopping and stop having Sainsbury's for our main shop. The things I do for piggies!

Thank you they look good. We don't have a Tesco within walking distance. I'll sign up for on line shopping and stop having Sainsbury's for our main shop. The things I do for piggies!
Nothing surprises me any more with guinea pig people! 🙂

Can anyone explain to a technophobe what a webinar is and how you access it? Do you have to pay to watch -or listen or whatever? I've found some fascinating ones by John chitty on this whole bladder problems/stress subject that I would really, really like to access, but despite googling, have not worked out how to!

Can anyone explain to a technophobe what a webinar is and how you access it? Do you have to pay to watch -or listen or whatever? I've found some fascinating ones by John chitty on this whole bladder problems/stress subject that I would really, really like to access, but despite googling, have not worked out how to!
Unless you want to participate in a webinar live, wouldn't they just be available as videos on Youtube or whatever? Like the videos people post there of them playing computer games?

Unless you want to participate in a webinar live, wouldn't they just be available as videos on Youtube or whatever? Like the videos people post there of them playing computer games?
That is what is confusing me, all I could find on Youtube was short extracts, rather like adverts, for the webinars which is what made me wonder if you had to pay for the whole thing. But I may be missing the obvious somewhere?

@furryfriends (TEAS) and anyone who wants to help me.

Since I have been taking tips from this thread, Dot hasn't had any blood in urine ( she has intertestial cystitis) neither has she had any milky urine around her vulva since.

She has been on Cystease for around 3 months now, I am on the verge of taking her off it and seeing how she goes, A. Because its stressing her out when I have to try and catch her everyday out of the cage, B. Because Cystease is expensive to keep buying.

What do you think? What would you do?

That is what is confusing me, all I could find on Youtube was short extracts, rather like adverts, for the webinars which is what made me wonder if you had to pay for the whole thing. But I may be missing the obvious somewhere?
His website "the webinarvet" makes it look like the webinars are aimed at professionals ie vets etc, so perhaps they aren't put "out there" on youtube etc. I guess you could try contacting the website directly and asking.

Back