• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Feeding the guinea pigs at TEAS

Sorry to hear about Buttercup. Hopefully she is on the mend soon.

I’ve fed the TEAS way on and off the past month or so, but they still seem confused - the girls in particular. I’ll scatter the mixed veg and they’ll still come to the side begging to a hand feed 🤦🏾‍♀️ The boys aren’t as confused but will do it occasionally. I have considered stopping the hand feeding but I do enjoy it and so do they. But when it comes to the pellets, I think the boys enjoy hunting for them amongst the hay now ☺️

Sorry to hear about Buttercup. Hopefully she is on the mend soon.

I’ve fed the TEAS way on and off the past month or so, but they still seem confused - the girls in particular. I’ll scatter the mixed veg and they’ll still come to the side begging to a hand feed 🤦🏾‍♀️ The boys aren’t as confused but will do it occasionally. I have considered stopping the hand feeding but I do enjoy it and so do they. But when it comes to the pellets, I think the boys enjoy hunting for them amongst the hay now ☺
If they and you enjoy it, then you should continue! You could do a mixture of both!

I've gone through and read this whole thread. I even took notes! Very interesting and helpful indeed! I am going to build up and start feeding the TEAS way. I have been stressing and worrying about those white spots ( Although i did have some very think wees at one stage and I do think they weren't quite right). I had already started to give a lot of grass and this helped a lot. Now I will start to increase the veg. Oh my two girls will be sooo excited, They are constantly squeaking to me to feed them more veg!
Also I will try to get my head right as well. I was stressing about their wee so much that I felt I wasn't competent enough to own guinea pigs. Honestly I have never stressed as much over my pets as I have my guinea pigs. Most times I enjoy and watch my pets and they make me happy, only when I have a health problem with them do I get stressed but these poor girls have a stressed out human all the time.
Its now time for a bit of fun and more veg! Thanks TEAS great information indeed.

Well, I got home tonight and fed a nice little salad to my girls, not too much at this stage, I don't want to give them loose poops.
Also I gave them a little bit of rolled oats. Boy was I popular! They went mad over them.
Teas, I haven't heard of many people giving rolled oats. I see you give them quite freely. What are the benefits apart from they love them? I wont put them in a bowl at this stage as I think they might gorge on them, they loved them so much.
Ps. I tried not to stress tonight and examine for wee spots and instead just relaxed and enjoyed watching them instead.

My girls are LOVING their new diet! Interestingly enough, my two original girls have lost a bit of weight on it, which I'm ok with, cos I think they were a little on the too chunky side (is there really such a thing?!) and my new girl, who was on the lighter side, has gained weight - all being fed exactly the same. My two really enjoy oats for a change, although I don't feed them all the time, my new girl hasn't tried them yet, but I've a feeling she'll probably like them. I have read something (somewhere) about them being high in oxalates - is that right @furryfriends (TEAS)?

Just found pink urine around dots vulva this morning, funny that, because I'm feeding tonnes of grass lately. Loads of it! I think it's stains. You won't see it on bernie because he's black and it doesn't stick around his penis end.

Its was bright pink like a wacky colour ud see in b and q. Not like blood

Well sadly I am going to be doing the diet experiment in reverse now, and I am dreading finding out the result - but I w.ill have to try and be scientific about it.

With the current situation I am unable to get any vegetables and since I used to drive out to collect grass and forage, that supply has dried up too - I don't think even I can convince the powers that be that picking grass is an essential occupation. So frustrating when it is actually beginning to grow!

I think the only good thing is that people are at long last being "requested"to keep their cats on their own properties. Mind you if that goes the way other safety suggestions are going with some folk, it won't make much difference! (I am a cat owner and lover - but do not allow my cats to roam at will and harass local pets and wildlife!)

Anyway, lets see if I begin to get all these bladder issues too now the feeding has changed.

Back